Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 08:23:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How bad is breathing in air from GPU's?  (Read 2678 times)
phase2

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 05:40:27 PM

Humidity will be around %40 at its best when you have a rig in the room. Its not good for your health.
reflector

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 05:46:57 PM

The bigger worry than breathing the air is the fire risk involved when running miners in your house. That is way more likely to kill you than breathing the air. Dust/dirt build up, loose connections, overloaded components, excessive heat, placing miners too close to flammable materials, all far greater concerns than the air quality. The air quality issue (if there even is one) can be alleviated to a great extent by simply cracking a window or two to vent in fresh air, but the fire hazards are a lot harder to mitigate.

Still we all using the electrical and electronic products in your anf my house. Since the hazardous release is from the material it contains the electrical wastages you will find the impure gases from that. You may avoid the heating issue by having your AC cooling in your home.
Breaking the windows making ventilation for that and all, we need to set up in the better air circulation.
davemanet (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:14:39 AM

Humidity will be around %40 at its best when you have a rig in the room. Its not good for your health.

Can you explain a little more what you mean?  Everyone says it's ok for your health, I'd like to know a little more why you think it's not good
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:10:26 PM

Humidity level TOO low dries out your sinuses and can cause health issues.

Humidity level too high tends to cause mold buildup and is VERY bad for you to breath that stuff for extended periods of time.

I'm not sure where the actual numbers on "too low" are, but I suspect they are probably under 20% and might be under 10%.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
TheHas

Activity: 616
Merit: 167

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:44:22 AM

The bigger worry than breathing the air is the fire risk involved when running miners in your house. That is way more likely to kill you than breathing the air. Dust/dirt build up, loose connections, overloaded components, excessive heat, placing miners too close to flammable materials, all far greater concerns than the air quality. The air quality issue (if there even is one) can be alleviated to a great extent by simply cracking a window or two to vent in fresh air, but the fire hazards are a lot harder to mitigate.

This. I'm far more focused on keeping my GPU's in the 70 C temp range tops, making sure there isn't anything flammable too close, touching connectors to make sure none are getting hot or playing up etc. Also have to try and stay on top of dust to make sure it doesn't build up and block your GPU fans from working as effectively. I'm more interested in keeping good air quality to keep the dust away from the rig than worrying about my 'health'!
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 02:12:27 AM

I see many people have mining rigs in their rooms, some with 6+ gpu's.  Is the air quality bad?  I know that heated solder is bad for you.  So, isn't it unhealthy to breath in too much of the air coming out of a mining rig?

Heat is the problem.  Back in the early days of Bitcoin a guy had some computers mining BTC in his bedroom.  He closed the door and went to sleep.  He woke up the next day suffering from heat stroke.  He had to be taken to the hospital. Adequate ventilation and cooling needs to be considered as much as your GPU.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/a-minor-bitcoin-miner-injury/
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 04:21:25 AM

Heat is the problem.  Back in the early days of Bitcoin a guy had some computers mining BTC in his bedroom.  He closed the door and went to sleep.  He woke up the next day suffering from heat stroke.  He had to be taken to the hospital. Adequate ventilation and cooling needs to be considered as much as your GPU.

Every time someone comes up with an "idiot-proof" idea, a worse grade of idiot shows up.

Odds are, if it got THAT hot in the room, his rigs were overheating and thermal throttling too.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
davemanet (OP)

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 05:19:36 AM

I see many people have mining rigs in their rooms, some with 6+ gpu's.  Is the air quality bad?  I know that heated solder is bad for you.  So, isn't it unhealthy to breath in too much of the air coming out of a mining rig?

Thanks for sharing.  I'm glad to see both points of view.  I do believe that there's a limit to how many rigs one should have in their room and am glad that my concern is a valid one.
umine

Activity: 405
Merit: 136

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 05:30:02 AM

The placing working hardware in living room is of course unhealthy. Mining rigs influence to humidity, temperature and noise. Shoudn't do that.
Just check humidity, tempereature and noise standart paramters for living space and compare that with real parameters in your bedroom with mining rig. It can terrible effect on nervous system, respiratory apparatus etc. at long-term exposure.

taxmanmt5
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 05:32:29 PM

Harmless. That small amount of solder never gets to the point of outputting any kind of particle. If the solder got too hot, the unit itself would decay quicker, as the connections would begin to loosen. The biggest environmental hazard would be the entire chassis, motherboard fans and all, putting dust out the back. And that dust was already in the room, just has been collected and blown out.
Jistlad

Activity: 422

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:48:34 AM

Harmless. That small amount of solder never gets to the point of outputting any kind of particle. If the solder got too hot, the unit itself would decay quicker, as the connections would begin to loosen. The biggest environmental hazard would be the entire chassis, motherboard fans and all, putting dust out the back. And that dust was already in the room, just has been collected and blown out.

I agree. I have a few computers in my living room. Quite safe.

imusify    Award-Winning Blockchain Music Platform    Presale starts March 1
Discord Product Demo O3 Wallet  ::  Get Whitelisted 
Whitepaper    ANNFacebookTwitterTelegramRedditMediumGitHubYouTubeLinkedIN    Explainer Video
cryptocoinfarmer

Activity: 154
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 02:25:45 PM

If you have a spare room where you could put all your mining rigs with ventilation this will be the best thing to do.
I would not recommend putting mining rigs in the same room where you sleep. There are two factors loud noise and heat.
And most badly is the dry air that will be in that room.
cryptofriendz

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Do or do not.

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 02:34:52 PM

I'm not a doctor, neither do I know anything about the science behind radiation or emission. But I've been in a large room with 20 rigs for multiple hours and was pretty wasted the day after. I think he combination of hot air + noise is pretty fucked up. So not a sustainable state at all.
Nebell

Activity: 406
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 02:40:58 PM

The radiation can be an issue if you live close to a cell phone tower. Happened a year ago to some forum member. The cell phone company told him he must shut down his rigs because it causes interference.

Eh what?
I would've told them to move their fucking cell phone tower somewhere else.

BitcoinZ - community driven, no premine, no dev-tax, developers always welcome
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3086664
https://btcz.rocks/
Bulletdodger

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 03:50:15 PM

Ok, but really - it is MUCH more unsafe if you breathe the laser printer air, or work near it if it's in use often.

_
BitcoinDiamond

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 04:03:15 PM

If you live in a city, the air outside is way more toxic than any mining rigs. All your rigs are doing is circulating and heating up the air already in your rooms, dust may heat up too but you breathe that in every time so.

Don't worry about it! As long you're not got a breathing aide connected to the rigs I think you'll be fine. Just remember to open the windows and let some fresh air in from time to time.
carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 04:13:09 PM

If you live in a city, the air outside is way more toxic than any mining rigs. All your rigs are doing is circulating and heating up the air already in your rooms, dust may heat up too but you breathe that in every time so.

Don't worry about it! As long you're not got a breathing aide connected to the rigs I think you'll be fine. Just remember to open the windows and let some fresh air in from time to time.
circulation is really needed with this type of machine but there's no real harmed if you are talking about serious illness its just an ordinary
hot air coming out from the devices that you've got, its just needed a good ventilation for the benefits of your device health and your own
body as well just in case that there might be any harmed that bring out from the devices.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2017, 05:39:11 PM

It could potentially be bad if you are asmathic. The amount of dust my mining rigs collect is insane. They're just like dust collectors. Now only if we could only get paid for collecting dust.

But seriously, GPU air should be harmless. Been breathing it in for almost a year now.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
hheight

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 06:31:51 PM

It's individually tolerability of hot air. But you need fresh air in the room, i.e good ventilation system. Otherwise - headaches and health problems.
Bulletdodger

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 08:20:24 PM

Exactly!
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just keep the room vented and thats it.

_
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: