Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:29:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitscratch physical bit-coin scratch cards ready to distribute  (Read 1910 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
bitcoin_bob (OP)

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 04:23:39 AM

In the UK you only have to be 16 years old to purchase the lottery & scratch cards. But to gamble you have to be 18....aren't they the same thing? lol

There is one small difference.
Lottery is a sort of tax.. The government controls it and takes a big cut of the money.
With gambling, the government has a lot more trouble getting a cut.

So it is in their best interest to make the lottery age younger than the gambling age.

probably why smoking was 16 for a very long time. Tax them early!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 04:26:25 AM

In the UK you only have to be 16 years old to purchase the lottery & scratch cards. But to gamble you have to be 18....aren't they the same thing? lol

There is one small difference.
Lottery is a sort of tax.. The government controls it and takes a big cut of the money.
With gambling, the government has a lot more trouble getting a cut.

So it is in their best interest to make the lottery age younger than the gambling age.

probably why smoking was 16 for a very long time. Tax them early!

Lol, you can smoke at 16, but you have to 18 to buy them. That makes total sense. Anyway, I hope this takes off and people are interested. It hasn't been done as far as I'm aware and they already look pretty awesome.
Micon
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1014

FPV Drone Pilot

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 06:00:22 AM

1)  really cool idea

2)  IMO as a gambler scratch tickets were always laughable. I'll play something small at 96% payout if all my friends want to fire on it and there are free drinks.  Playing a 50% payout game, similar to most USA state lotteries is like lighting the money on fire.  I always thought if someone did scratch tickets right, made it a 95% payout game and didn't try and gauge like the state lotteries have for years, it would become a fun game that recreational gamblers will finally be able to play and only lose a little. 

IMO: make it more fair of a payout structure, and you have yourself a winner.  Keep it 50% payout, it will be a novelty but not very widely played.

I'm flying FPV race drones these days. Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MiconFPV
bitcoin_bob (OP)

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:26:05 PM

1)  really cool idea

2)  IMO as a gambler scratch tickets were always laughable. I'll play something small at 96% payout if all my friends want to fire on it and there are free drinks.  Playing a 50% payout game, similar to most USA state lotteries is like lighting the money on fire.  I always thought if someone did scratch tickets right, made it a 95% payout game and didn't try and gauge like the state lotteries have for years, it would become a fun game that recreational gamblers will finally be able to play and only lose a little. 

IMO: make it more fair of a payout structure, and you have yourself a winner.  Keep it 50% payout, it will be a novelty but not very widely played.

Interesting points- but some things to take into consideration;

1. The cost of producing the tickets, the profit that physical vendors need to make to sell them, and the distribution costs, means that the payout structure needs to take into consideration the costs of internationally distributing the physical game.  If you saw how much it costs to implement such a thing you would understand that its not 'gouging' like state lotteries, its just making it financially viable.

2. As a full on gambler this probably isn't a product that is for you. There are many online gambling avenues for the professional/hardcore gambler to make his money, which have 0 overhead costs and therefore can offer a 96% payout return and 4% to the house. We are not trying to compete with them.

3. As you said it yourself- this is a novelty. Gaming is supposed to be fun, this is supposed to be fun. Gambling is supposed to be an addiction. Compare it to alcohol, some people go and find a tasty wine or beer, wheras other people stand in the drinks isle doing the math on which beverage has the most alcohol for their dollar, and don't care about the taste.

To sum up- theres 6 billion people in the world, and something for everyone Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: