Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:50:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Discuss PoC and Burst mining, the only green mining alternative  (Read 330 times)
pinkflower (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 03:00:12 AM

The Burstcoinist has featured another piece about Burst mining and Proof of Capacity. It tells you why its better for energy consumption, decentralization and hardware reusability.

The Burst mining process explained

All that wasted energy on useless altcoins are becoming too impractical. Read these other articles and know more about the only green mining alternative available.

How Burst puts Bitcoin to shame
Why Proof of Capacity should be taken seriously (2015)

Heres a short description of the PoC process.

• Step 1 – Plotting

Plotting is the process through which miners miners pre-generate on their HDD chunks of data called «plots», containing all the computations necessary to forge blocks. Plotting is a long and energy consuming process that is done through your CPU or GPU. The good news is: it has to be done only once! Then your plot files are stored on the HDD and ready to be used to mine Burst. In a Proof-of-Work system, this is done continuously for each and every block.

• Step 2 – Reward assignment

Setting a “reward recipient” for your Burst account allows you to define a beneficiary who will get the BURST reward should your miner find a block. A pool miner sets this recipient to the pool’s address while a solo miner uses his or her own address. In the first case the miner will only get paid when “forging” (winning) a block but with the entirety of the block reward. In the second case every miner in the pool gets a portion of the reward when another forges a block.

• Step 3 – Mining

Once plots are generated and stored on a drive and the reward assignment is set, the miner just has to launch his mining software. It will read through his plots in order to come up with an amount of time (called the “deadline“) necessary to forge the current block. Once the deadline is submitted, the HDD becomes idle until the next block appears. This is the reason why mining Burst is so energy efficient and easy on the hardware: your HDD is idle most of the time and reading through the plot files only for a few seconds for each block. The best deadline submitted among all miners is the one forging and establishing the duration of the block.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2017, 07:19:41 AM

I like the idea of Burst, also its community where I got a lot of comments from great people.
The only I dont like about it is previous attack on its network. Hope it could get over and be stronger.
rico666
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1037

฿ → ∞

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 05:18:26 AM

I like the idea of Burst, also its community where I got a lot of comments from great people.
The only I dont like about it is previous attack on its network. Hope it could get over and be stronger.

It did get over it and got stronger. Much stronger in fact.
We do monitor status and progress of the network e.g. at https://explore.burst.cryptoguru.org/tool/observe
(but there are also other observers - see https://burstwiki.org)

Wallet development continues and the new 1.3.Xcg wallets will bring Burst to the next level
(feature, scaling etc.)

all non self-referential signatures except mine are lame ... oh wait ...   ·  LBC Thread (News)  ·  Past BURST Activities
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: