Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 09:57:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between EthHash and Equihash?  (Read 670 times)
davemanet (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:55:51 AM

Hi All, I currently am mining Ethereum using Ethash algorithim.  I want to switch my rig to Bitcoin Gold using Equihash when it's available. 

I currently have overclock values on my cards for Ethash though.  If I were to switch to Equihash, does anyone know how much I should change my overclock values? 

For example, if Ethhash memory is set to 2000, should Equihash be lower or higher? 
Branko

Activity: 2520
Merit: 319

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 06:33:41 AM

Same...maximum that gives you no errors in both cases
davemanet (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 06:36:23 AM

Thanks.  I have a bunch of differnet gpu's though, and prefer not to test each one. Is there a general rule of thumb when going from ethhash to equihash?  Like lower all values by 20%, or raise them?
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 07:20:27 AM

Thanks.  I have a bunch of differnet gpu's though, and prefer not to test each one. Is there a general rule of thumb when going from ethhash to equihash?  Like lower all values by 20%, or raise them?

Ethash algorithm is memory bound which means it requires more memory clock to get better hashrates.
On the other hand, Equihash algorithm is core bound thus requiring more core clock.
A great method to achieve stable core clock can be to increase core clock by 25 and test them. If everything works fine, then increase another 25 until you hit the sweet spot.
Moreover, it doesn't make much difference if you increase memory clock, so let it be at +100 which should be enough.
davemanet (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:44:11 PM

Thanks.  I have a bunch of differnet gpu's though, and prefer not to test each one. Is there a general rule of thumb when going from ethhash to equihash?  Like lower all values by 20%, or raise them?

Ethash algorithm is memory bound which means it requires more memory clock to get better hashrates.
On the other hand, Equihash algorithm is core bound thus requiring more core clock.
A great method to achieve stable core clock can be to increase core clock by 25 and test them. If everything works fine, then increase another 25 until you hit the sweet spot.
Moreover, it doesn't make much difference if you increase memory clock, so let it be at +100 which should be enough.

Excellent, thank you.  I will try that.  Can't wait for Bitcoin Gold haha.
Sev18

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 01:33:19 PM

It seems that you're using AMD machines, but OC setting is quite similar in Nvidia.
This my 1060 setting
for ETH: core +0 / mem +800
for ZEC(equihash) : core +150 / mem +400

As MATHReX said, point is you need more core OC for BTG mining.

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
lokinator

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 03:31:39 PM

It seems that you're using AMD machines, but OC setting is quite similar in Nvidia.
This my 1060 setting
for ETH: core +0 / mem +800
for ZEC(equihash) : core +150 / mem +400

As MATHReX said, point is you need more core OC for BTG mining.

That is great information -- thank you.

I was having some trouble dialing my 1060s in when switching between ethash and equihash. It's good to know what other folks are running in a stable environment.

I have noticed that I get a lot more crashes/freezes/lockups when I am OCing my core as opposed to my memory. Even at +150 core I seem to get random lock ups.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Miracle_Man

Activity: 201
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 04:17:46 PM

In my experience with two gtx 1070, for Equihash you need to overclock the core as much as possible, and memory too, but memory in the second turn.
davemanet (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 07:34:05 AM

My current rig I set max overclock to 1300 core and 2000 mem for ETH.  Do you think I can keep these values when I switch to Bitcoin Gold or will I need to adjust it a bit?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: