Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:08:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Loans and Interest Rates  (Read 2493 times)
LogicalUnit (OP)

Activity: 299
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 09:11:44 AM

Hi, everyone! My little mining operation is getting started, and when I start generating Bitcoins, I need to know what I should do with them. According to coinlenders.com, I can get an interest rate of 25% APR on accounts with at least 1 BTC. Firstly, what does APR mean? Is it just "per annum"?

Secondly, why are interest rates so high? My Australian bank account pays 3.10% p.a. in comparison. How does inflation affect the BTC interest rate?

Basically, is it smart to put my BTC into one of these accounts?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lch

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 04:30:28 PM

Yes its per annum.

I don't really know why interest rates are that high. But the logical conclusion is that there's a lot of profit to be made. You should not the the interest rate will vary unless you buy a COD.

I think its alright, provided that you have some spare BTC lying around.
mhps

Activity: 516
Merit: 500

CAT.EX Exchange

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:01:20 PM

Is the APR number risk-adjusted return of investment? If the one who borrows your BTC uses it to do risky business (e.g. speculation) then you could lose your money entirely if the borrower's business goes bankrupt due to losses.

|(
▄▄██████████▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▀ ▀██████▄
██████ ███ ▀▀▀ ███ ███████
██████▀▄███████████▄▀███████
███████ █████████████ ████████
███████ █████████████ ████████
████████▄▀█████████▀▄█████████
██████████▄ █████ ▄█▀▄▄▄▀█████
██████████ ████▌▐█ █▀▄█ ████
████████▌▐█████ █▌▐█▄▄████
▀█████▀ ██████▄ ▀ █████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀██████████▀▀
)(.
)
▌   ANNOUNCE THREAD   ▌▐   BOUNTY   ▐
TWITTER  |  FACEBOOK  |  TELEGRAM  |  DISCORD
(((((((   MOBILE APP [ ANDROID / IOS ]   )))))))
)
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:30:33 PM

I'd rather ask: "Is it safe?"

A bank doing business with fiat usually have a large building to convince people it will last. What are the credentials of this company?

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Aureum_Coffee

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:37:11 AM

Hi, everyone! My little mining operation is getting started, and when I start generating Bitcoins, I need to know what I should do with them. According to coinlenders.com, I can get an interest rate of 25% APR on accounts with at least 1 BTC. Firstly, what does APR mean? Is it just "per annum"?

Secondly, why are interest rates so high? My Australian bank account pays 3.10% p.a. in comparison. How does inflation affect the BTC interest rate?

Put some money in one of these entities, only if you trust the person or the entity enough to handover your BTC on their verbal promise.  If the person or entity that promises high rate of return folds up shop and disappear overnight, you don't have any recourse.

The 25% interest rate reflects not only the high BTC volatility, and also high risk of may/ may not get your BTC back.  I am sure there are some good entities for you to park your BTCs.  Caveat Emptor.
bb999

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:56:24 AM

APR is annual percentage rate so a 6% loan for 3 months would be a 24% APR (4 increments of 3 months in a year times 6%)

The biggest risk (as has been stated already) is default risk.  There is no way to know the entire loan portfolio of the entity backing that website.  They may issue lots of loan at 25-30%/year that stay current for 3 months and then stop paying entirely.  It's easy to get people to commit to paying 25%/year, significantly less easy to collect on those loans. 

With no significant or recorded track record it has significant scam potential as well.  All the best to anyone who puts their money into this type of investment, let us know how it turns out.
LogicalUnit (OP)

Activity: 299

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:40:53 AM

Yeah, I dunno if I can trust this guy, who insures his own debts.
Voodah

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:41:43 PM

Put some money in one of these entities, only if you trust the person or the entity enough to handover your BTC on their verbal promise.  If the person or entity that promises high rate of return folds up shop and disappear overnight, you don't have any recourse.

The 25% interest rate reflects not only the high BTC volatility, and also high risk of may/ may not get your BTC back.  I am sure there are some good entities for you to park your BTCs.  Caveat Emptor.

What entities would you recommend to do this?
kodo

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 12:18:30 AM

80% of BTC "Loans" are scams, I advise caution
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:55:51 AM

usury has no bounds and should be stricken to hell!!!

out you snake!! away from bitcoins!!!

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
kodo

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 10:25:25 PM

Dont do this guys, its obviously a scam.
Aureum_Coffee

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 04:40:15 AM

What entities would you recommend to do this?

I park some BTCs with ASICminer stock, at BTC-TC.  Only 15% of what I have, because of low risk appetite.  The 15% I invested there is considered experimental fund.  Won't hurt me too much if the stock went belly up and lose that 15%.  Upside is you get weekly dividends around 24% APR.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 04:41:29 AM

Its Fortress  Wink
Besides 25% APR is reasonable with bitcoin he-he

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 05:17:03 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 04:01:33 AM by shawshankinmate37927

Yeah, I dunno if I can trust this guy, who insures his own debts.

Most of the loans that TradeFortress makes are backed with collateral (virtual shares, other crypto-currencies, etc):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=159359.msg2387792#msg2387792

If you take a look at his thread, you'll see that he has a lot of happy depositors.  Obviously, don't put all of your eggs in one basket.  Spread the risk around.  I have deposited some bitcoins with CoinLenders to earn daily interest payments and I've bought shares of ASICMiner to earn weekly dividend payments.  I'm happy with both, so far.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
shawshankinmate37927

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin: The People's Bailout

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 05:40:30 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2013, 02:18:39 PM by shawshankinmate37927

Because the supply of bitcoins available to be loaned out is relatively low and the demand to borrow them is relatively high compared to fiat.  (Or, put another way, lots of people want to borrow bitcoins, but few people want to lend bitcoins.)  Supply and demand determine prices.  An interest rate is just a way to express the price of borrowing (or renting) money.  If more people make deposits and fewer people take out loans, then the interest rates will drop.

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."   - Henry Ford
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 06:32:28 AM

The thing is how much are loans from www.coinlenders.com? If the loans are only a few % higher than the interest to the depositors, then how will coinlenders survive people defaulting?

In its most simplest form a bank survives because the 7% mortgage income is way higher than the 3% paid to depositors and this spread makes enough money to cover defaults and loses, it would be interesting to find out what the lender - loaner spread on coinlenders is...
silverserpent

Activity: 83

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 10:40:53 AM

save your own BTC, buy more rigs; when too much buy silver n gold. you be your bank
Aureum_Coffee

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 04:24:26 PM

save your own BTC, buy more rigs; when too much buy silver n gold. you be your bank

Now that's an idea.  Get some gold coins, go over to India, China, Indonesia, or wherever in Asia where gold is in high demand.

Profit $$$.
DrGregMulhauser

Activity: 330
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 05:17:53 PM

Because the supply of bitcoins available to be loaned out is relatively low and the demand to borrow them is relatively high compared to fiat.  (Or, put another way, lots of people want to borrow bitcoins, but few people want to lend bitcoins.)

I think it's interesting that within the confines of a single exchange (Bitfinex) -- where, notably, borrowed funds cannot be removed from the exchange -- the demand for dollars to buy Bitcoins on margin appears to be much higher than the demand for Bitcoins to short. The result is a perpetual asymmetry in prevailing interest rates, with USD interest rates extraordinarily high, BTC rates exceptionally low, and the ratio between the two growing or shrinking depending upon whether the USD/BTC exchange rate is rising or falling, respectively.

Tips: 1GTvfygTCnA5LdE2dX31AtcHho6s6X9H9b
BTC Growth
Fugger

Activity: 156

Founder of Bitbond

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 07:56:43 PM

In the fiat world you usually have a base interest rate and on top comes a compensation for risk. Then you should get something that's called an arbitrage free interest rate. Since there is no central bank in the Bitcoin world, we don't have a real reference as to what is the 'right' interest rate. A simple answer would be: the rate where supply and demand match. So when someone offers a particular interest rate, it is interesting to see whether they find enough lenders.

Token Tool by Bitbond
▬▬▬ Create, manage and multisend tokens on Ethereum, Binance Smart Chain, Polygon and Avalanche ▬▬▬
■ Twitter ■ Join Telegram
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: