Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:36:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Add2PSU vs dual ATX cables  (Read 415 times)
teedeexyz (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 09:25:10 AM

Hi,

Could anyone tell me the difference between using a circuit like Add2PSU and using dual ATX cables to power on 2 PSUs?
I'd like to know this because I'll need a second PSU when adding more GPUs to my mining rig.

Add2psu:
https://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Adapter-Connector-Genetek-Electric/dp/B0711WX9MC

Dual ATX cable:
https://www.amazon.com/Main-Second-Power-Supply-Cable/dp/B00JIV9BRK

To me, they seem functionally equivalent.
I'd say the dual ATX cable would be better because there is no delay from the relay powering up the second PSU...
What is the difference? In which situation(s) would you use which setup? Are there any pitfalls?
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 05:30:53 PM

Step 1: learn to post in the proper area

Step 2: Use a server power supply and not some shit atx. Then you dont have to worry about useless junk like the add2psu adapter.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
teedeexyz (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 07:22:20 PM

Step 1: learn to post in the proper area

Step 2: Use a server power supply and not some shit atx. Then you dont have to worry about useless junk like the add2psu adapter.

Your answer literally contributed nothing at all.
You had better saved yourself the trouble replying. Are you always this sour?
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 08:48:48 PM

It is very tiring having to constantly tell people who are too lazy to read the stickies or the name of the forum subsection that they are in the wrong section.

It should have helped you realize that you are in the wrong section and will not get any answers here. If you could not deduce that from Step 1 I cannot help you.

Also Step 2 tells you that you shouldnt be running these wasteful pieces of hardware when you can run a quality power supply with a higher efficiency rating that doesnt require gimmick jumpers to work. It is kind of the opposite of not contributing. I am helping you to see the error in your ways.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
mcsnifferson

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:27:09 PM

Would be nice to get a real answer here instead of the snyde remarks...
Two Gold PSUs are a very cost effective way to setup a mining rig, 1200w PSUs are very expensive.

So, let's try this again...
The Add2Psu as I understand it will turn the 2nd PSU ON AND OFF in sync with the first.
The interconnect cable may only turn PSU #2 ON, but maybe not OFF?

I haven't tried this yet, just about to setup my rig and I want to use the right part for the job.
Don't bother replying if you have nothing useful to add.

nbtcminer

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 03:53:54 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2018, 04:34:15 PM by nbtcminer

Would be nice to get a real answer here instead of the snyde remarks...
Two Gold PSUs are a very cost effective way to setup a mining rig, 1200w PSUs are very expensive.

So, let's try this again...
The Add2Psu as I understand it will turn the 2nd PSU ON AND OFF in sync with the first.
The interconnect cable may only turn PSU #2 ON, but maybe not OFF?

I haven't tried this yet, just about to setup my rig and I want to use the right part for the job.
Don't bother replying if you have nothing useful to add.

Add2PU is a relay device; meaning it will power on and off the second PSU and keep it in the same state as the first PSU.

Interconnect cable is more for a motherboard which will send the power on signal to both devices. While it performs a similar function, it will not relay the power state between the two power supplies and it's possible for one to go off with the other still running.

Generally speaking, it isn't a good idea to mix power supplies but if you had to do it I would go with an add2psu as the relaying of power on/off would be more reliable than just using an interconnect cable rigged to always be on.
teedeexyz (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2018, 05:02:10 PM

OP here. I went with the add2psu device, and been running flawlessly for over 2 months.
The device effectively copies power state (on/off/reset) from the main psu.
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 12:58:14 AM

Dual (or triple) ATX power splitters is what I go with these days. No active components that could break. That said my original Add2PSUs are working just fine, but they are also more expensive.
[YAZ]

Activity: 208
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 02, 2018, 03:29:34 AM

I didn't have experience with "Dual ATX cable" but I use the first tools (PSU Relay) in a few of my Rigs (working good). The other Rigs still using old methods (JumpStart) using paper clips and give them dummy load on 5V to make sure The PSU to product a correct voltage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: