Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:01:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Waves token sale pull back money -> token sale manipulation?  (Read 377 times)
crypthinker (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 09:29:53 AM

Hi guys

I'm reading about Waves and what the possibilities are for doing an ICO (it's just research, not intended to do one!).
I saw that investors can extract invested money from the ICO if it's not ended yet. Why is this option available?
To me, it seems to be very insecure and it allows manipulation.

E.g. Another competing token sale project or big whale buys 80/90/99 percent of the tokens (e.g. capped token sale 10mil with first-come-first-served) and extracts all his money just before the end.
This puts them in the position to prevent others from investing.

Do I miss something? Maybe things like: high fees for extracting money that you have invested in a token sale?
It seems for me that it's easy to manipulate the token sale.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ask
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 09:31:27 AM

Waves is a nice community but on the other hand they are offering dicscounts for whales.
This is little weird and suspicious. I hope price will rice to 50$
Mallyx

Activity: 1138
Merit: 574

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 09:39:17 AM

I saw that investors can extract invested money from the ICO if it's not ended yet. Why is this option available?

For any ICO, the company share a deposit address.
It's the same for all ICO, whatever the platform you're using. If the ICO managers wish to not use an escrow, then you must trust them for not leaving you with all the collected money.

There is not "extraction", it's only about controlling the private key with the funds, Waves or not Waves.
crypthinker (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 11:03:20 AM

@Mallyx
I think you didn't understand my question correctly (my bad!).
I read about an exit pledge:

Q: If I understand correctly, waves is some kind of Uphold or Openledger with the main difference being the ability to crowdfund? What’s your plan in order to compete with Kickstarter ? Lower fees ?

A: WAVES is colored tokens blockchain platform, like NXT, having its own blockchain and integrated decentralized exchange. Our unique selling point compared to Kickstarter is the ability to exit your pledge. If you pledge some funds at kickstarter you have to wait for your product, you can’t transfer it to another user for example. Also you can start a campaign much faster on Waves then on Kickstarter, there are no moderators who approve your campaign. Of course the fees are much lower too, basically the fees are zero, compared to Kickstarter fees
Source: https://blog.wavesplatform.com/faq-7664c1d1b1bf

I'm talking about this exit pledge
Mallyx

Activity: 1138
Merit: 574

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 12:04:18 PM

@Mallyx
I think you didn't understand my question correctly (my bad!).
I read about an exit pledge:

Q: If I understand correctly, waves is some kind of Uphold or Openledger with the main difference being the ability to crowdfund? What’s your plan in order to compete with Kickstarter ? Lower fees ?

A: WAVES is colored tokens blockchain platform, like NXT, having its own blockchain and integrated decentralized exchange. Our unique selling point compared to Kickstarter is the ability to exit your pledge. If you pledge some funds at kickstarter you have to wait for your product, you can’t transfer it to another user for example. Also you can start a campaign much faster on Waves then on Kickstarter, there are no moderators who approve your campaign. Of course the fees are much lower too, basically the fees are zero, compared to Kickstarter fees
Source: https://blog.wavesplatform.com/faq-7664c1d1b1bf

I'm talking about this exit pledge

Okay I got the question now Wink
I think the answer in that QA is not well said.

From my understanding, they try to explain that when you send some money to for ICO, you, as an investor, don't have to wait for the final product to receive the tokens:
If you pledge some funds at kickstarter you have to wait for your product, you can’t transfer it to another user for example.

With Waves you can receive straight the tokens, even if the final product isn't ready. You can also trade them or send them to an other user meanwhile the devs are still working on the product.
On Kickstarter, the devs and the investors have both to wait.

In that part:
the ability to exit your pledge
I think they speak about the investor's pledge, by your ability to sell or exchange the tokens even before the product is released.

I'm sure to be right, because it's a feature that doesn't exist on Waves, and not on the roadmap.
crypthinker (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 12:39:46 PM

Ah thanks, I agree with your opinion. It's not on the roadmap and it's not logical to have this kind of function.
Your explanation seems more legit (about getting the tokens immediately and being tradeable before product is finished).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: