Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 06:08:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: blockchain?  (Read 623 times)
JohanS (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:45:36 AM

If bitcoin become more widely used and the numbers of transactions increase, the size of blockchain will increase, right?

At what point will the size of blockchain become an issue/problem?

tescomatty

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:49:10 AM

If bitcoin become more widely used and the numbers of transactions increase, the size of blockchain will increase, right?

the blockchain can be pruned if the space becomes a problem

JohanS (OP)

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:15:08 AM

Ok, of cause.

... and all transactions will still be tracable as the "old" parts will be available, even if they no longer are a part of the live chain.

Anyone have a guestimate on at what size this can happen?

50 GB

100 GB

1 TB?

Eva Braun

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:39:58 PM

blockchain is safe
Alexander The Great

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 04:11:54 PM

I use blockchain.info
lch

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 04:19:10 PM

The answer is it depends. It depends on the amount of memory and bandwidth people have.
dbkeys

Activity: 485
Merit: 104

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 10:04:21 PM

Currently, 4 TB SATA hard drives are readily available. I think in general, hard drive storage capacity will outpace growth of the blockchain, (Here is a nice graph of its growth: https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size) At 4 TB, a single one of these drives could hold a blockchain 400 times as large as it is today. But I agree that at some point, old historical data should be relegated and only "newer" data by some criteria should be required for a functional wallet.

DNS Seeder / Node Trackers
PeterB

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 10:58:08 PM

Starting to become a problem for some users.  There are many wallets that do not require you to download the whole blockchain.

Mine bitcoins with you mind!  Play poker at Seals with Clubs!  Now with mixed games, stud games, and multiple variants of OFC!  These games are not offered on any other bitcoin poker site!  Sign up with me, PeterB, as your referral and I can help you with eBooks, strategy and more!  PM me for more details.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 11:25:25 PM

Currently, 4 TB SATA hard drives are readily available. I think in general, hard drive storage capacity will outpace growth of the blockchain, (Here is a nice graph of its growth: https://blockchain.info/charts/blocks-size) At 4 TB, a single one of these drives could hold a blockchain 400 times as large as it is today. But I agree that at some point, old historical data should be relegated and only "newer" data by some criteria should be required for a functional wallet.
If you have such drive then it's OK but not everyperson has such hard drive.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 12:21:33 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2013, 03:23:10 AM by niko

A better question to ask is: does blockchain grows faster or slower than cost of storage diminishes? Remeber your hard drive five years ago?

All this has been discussed at length and in depth. Try bitcoin wiki and stack exchange. Even better, do your own research, calculate, and arrive at your own conclusion.

Here are some leads:

Note the log scale.

Also, see here: http://ns1758.ca/winch/winchest.html

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 06:08:52 PM

HDDs are cheap, size can keep incresing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: