Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 01:31:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter is coming.  (Read 1711 times)
Washball

Activity: 266
Merit: 151

First crypto index traded as a token!

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 08:19:44 PM

I have a friend that has 2kW of rigs in his house, and by his comments I understood that without a good forced airflow to keep the rigs far away from the bedrooms they simply dry too much the air.

Dry air? Is that harmful?

Why would the air dry from that little heat generated by computer components anyway?

To combat too dry of air, they do sell things call humidifiers which can be bought in sizes ranging from humidifying a single room to a whole house. Dry air will result from any heat source that doesn't provide some type of moisture, so mining rigs are no different in that regard. Also, on most furnaces you can run the fan alone without the heat being on, so you can take advantage of this feature to circulate the warm air throughout your house.

Thanks,  I will check that out. I remember in the past there were (or maybe they still sell) some kind of boxes filled with water that you had to attach to radiators. Later I read that those things were no good because of mold forming.  What do you think?

Chan8

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 09:23:41 PM

Yeah that would work. I know a few peopls that exhaust the hot air from the basement. Where they run hardware, push that air up through out the house. Well atleast to the main floor. Lol.
Im not sure if bringing up rigs or leaving in thr living room is a good idea.
dragonmike

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 10:16:00 PM

Winter is coming
You know nothing Jon Snow.

Wink

But seriously... While these rigs would perfectly heat your house, they have three main caveats:
- space
- noise
- ugliness

I wouldn't want to know what my wife would say if I started scattering mining rigs across our (already too small) house... Tongue
AY000804

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 03:40:48 AM

As a person who live in Southeast Asia, I really hope that would be winter. Cheesy Cheesy
The heat that the mining rig produce will make our house literally like a sauna if didn't put properly.
When I return from work or anything the moment when I open the door can instantly get the sauna feel Cry

Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 03:46:52 AM

I have a friend that has 2kW of rigs in his house, and by his comments I understood that without a good forced airflow to keep the rigs far away from the bedrooms they simply dry too much the air.

Why would the air dry from that little heat generated by computer components anyway?

It isn't. I live in the North East and have oil heat.  The source of heat won't make the air any more or less dry.  If it gets too dry all that is needed is a humidifier. 
erkow

Activity: 23

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:57:28 AM

Electricity (mining) is more expensive than natural gas for heating.

I wouldn't buy mining machines just for heating, but if you plan on mining anyway, it helps.

You would still have to figure out what to do with the extra heat once spring and summer come around.
LandOwner

Activity: 60

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 10:48:02 AM

Electricity (mining) is more expensive than natural gas for heating.

I wouldn't buy mining machines just for heating, but if you plan on mining anyway, it helps.

You would still have to figure out what to do with the extra heat once spring and summer come around.

That is right. If in the very cold area, you can mine all year around.
DevonMiner

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 05:35:03 PM

Yep, gotta love it ... for the 4th year in a row I'll be moving a few rigs into the office ... this year they will be 4-card 1080ti rigs - they are quiet and throw out quite a bit of heat.

... a heater that earns you money  Grin

quochuan29

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 06:39:29 PM

Hello) I live in Novosibirsk, Russia! Now we have a cold night. In the afternoon + 5 ° C, and at night -2. My mines with a total capacity of 1,700 watts. stand on a glassed-in balcony. The temperature is now +30 ° C on the balcony, and on the street now + 1 ° C degrees Celsius. Waiting for the winter to see how they warm up the balcony (2 square meters)
I wish i live in this place. In my place 34 ° C in the air ><

blazecygnus

Activity: 32

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 07:02:59 PM

The low temperature will give you a free miner cooling but you have to look after for the humidity in the air. It could harm your miner if it's too high.
npredtorch
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 07:03:40 PM

Hello) I live in Novosibirsk, Russia! Now we have a cold night. In the afternoon + 5 ° C, and at night -2. My mines with a total capacity of 1,700 watts. stand on a glassed-in balcony. The temperature is now +30 ° C on the balcony, and on the street now + 1 ° C degrees Celsius. Waiting for the winter to see how they warm up the balcony (2 square meters)

Guess what? it's 35 ° C on my place and I ain't never experience winter or just the snow itself. Too bad also, because of the weather and the price of the electricity it's impossible for me to have a profit in mining.
@Sergey, that's too much generated heat lol, it's feels like you summoned an artificial sun located just on your balcony.

The low temperature will give you a free miner cooling but you have to look after for the humidity in the air. It could harm your miner if it's too high.

Really? Is there some recorded cases of miner getting rekt by the humidity? I'm curious to know if there is.
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 07:05:40 PM

Winter is coming and will again to grapple with the question of heating. Does anyone know whether it is possible to heat the room using GPU hardware. When working they produce a lot of heat. Is this enough heat to heat the house. I think it's a good idea to make money and not to pay for heating. What do you say? Anyone have experience?

I am doing this in my room only which is not a big surface. I have a PC with 3 GTX , 2x1060 and 1x1050ti and I never have the need to turn on the air condition although the outside temperature here in Italy has even been sometimes at 8 degree celsius which is considered cold enough for me to turn on the air condition. So yes I am saving heating power by warming my room with these 3 cards, at night I even keep my window just a tiny bit open in order to have fresh air come in as the air from 3 GPU-s may not be the healthiest air.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
EthereumPY

Activity: 111

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 07:20:40 PM

Time to OC +10%  Roll Eyes
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 09:15:44 PM

To combat too dry of air, they do sell things call humidifiers which can be bought in sizes ranging from humidifying a single room to a whole house. Dry air will result from any heat source that doesn't provide some type of moisture, so mining rigs are no different in that regard. Also, on most furnaces you can run the fan alone without the heat being on, so you can take advantage of this feature to circulate the warm air throughout your house.

Thanks,  I will check that out. I remember in the past there were (or maybe they still sell) some kind of boxes filled with water that you had to attach to radiators. Later I read that those things were no good because of mold forming.  What do you think?

Most modern humidifiers have a replaceable filter you swap out each season to prevent anything like that. They also sell additives you can add to the humidifier water to prevent mold if that is an issue in your region. Usually Winter air is pretty dry so mold isn't a big concern, but I suppose if people didn't do regular maintenance on something, like periodically clean the water basin, anything is possible.
blacktux88

Activity: 308

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 09:25:16 PM

I could be only a joke Oo

have you tought about the pice for the power.
You can take an electronic heater it would be less excpensive

Winter is coming and will again to grapple with the question of heating. Does anyone know whether it is possible to heat the room using GPU hardware. When working they produce a lot of heat. Is this enough heat to heat the house. I think it's a good idea to make money and not to pay for heating. What do you say? Anyone have experience?

hanskan

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 10:12:40 PM

wtf is wrong with you ? mining rigs make more money than they spend on electricity, so basically you get paid to live in a warm house. Well, "heaters" themselves are bit pricey but if you can afford it then go for it.
I have 3 rigs in the house (~140m2) and that's perfect for winter.

Heye

Activity: 72

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 10:54:40 PM

wtf is wrong with you ? mining rigs make more money than they spend on electricity, so basically you get paid to live in a warm house. Well, "heaters" themselves are bit pricey but if you can afford it then go for it.
I have 3 rigs in the house (~140m2) and that's perfect for winter.

basically you get paid to live in a warm house.. nice one!
I have 2 rigs in my room and I've been suffocating all summer, now I might have to open a window during winter so yeah you can heat a room with gpus but I'm not sure about an entire house tough.

Dlikrot

Activity: 230
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 11:23:14 PM

I had three Baikal 2000's in the garden house/shed (isolated shed). 35 degrees in the morning xD

BTC and KFC
ThePom

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 12:01:21 AM

We've just come out of winter here in Australia, I've been heating my whole house with 4 rigs, we haven't put the heater on once  Smiley
It was really nice waking up/coming home to a toasty house!

Summer will be interesting, with a very hot summer predicted!  Shocked

Cheers,
Matt
umine

Activity: 405
Merit: 136

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 05:40:44 AM

Correction: You wouldn't like live here.  Wink You'd like place mining farms here. Winter of 8 month per year is objective reality in Siberia.

To @Sergey-Majner: How you organize the ventilation of the balcony during summer? It's short but it's quite hot. If you have 30C in balcony at even 5C outdoor temperature?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: