Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:28:10 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do these HUGE threads just remain there ?  (Read 477 times)
theguy217 (OP)

Activity: 76
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 06:53:16 PM

Hi everyone.

I just have one single question. In each and every section of the forum you'll find threads which are already too big and have thousands of replies.
They will be with useless title such as what's is your wish regarding bitcoins and you'll find it with 2000+ replies  Sad

And of course most of them are just meaningless replies from members who are part of signature campaigns/bounties who are doing so just to get the few bucks.

Like what do you think ?  Of course anyone just wants to make money out of it and want its price to go up. Is it that hard to know  Huh

I think one of the following has to happen:

1- Lock such useless threads by the mods (I know they're already doing a good job deleting tons of shit posts that are made every minute but no one else has control).

2- Make it against the rules of the forum to accept members who post in such threads or basically say it wide and clear that you don't get any money for posts made in redundant threads.

What do you guys think ?

This is one example of what I'm saying https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1652815.0;topicseen
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 06:55:38 PM

I think there are far too many accounts posting shit quality responses across the entire site in attempts to gain more user rank and apply for a sig campaign... pretty sad and it lowers the overall quality of posts here.

I would personally ban sig campaigns.. help make this forum good again

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
theguy217 (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 06:59:43 PM

I don't want them to ban sig campaigns. Just a simple small rule that no managers should count these posts is enough.

Staff and mods don't even get paid that much. So I just want these campaigns to remain for their sake as they can participate in them.
ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 07:44:26 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2017, 07:59:42 PM by ImHash

You came to this conclusion after 27 posts? you seem like that you know a lot about this forum, If I go somewhere as a noob, it'll take months for me to be open as you are now. You're just a noob but you are ordering mods like they are your servants. Mods are trashing threads, We don't know which ones, Only they know. I am offended, I had 3 of my posts deleted after I logged in.
EDIT:
I am not offended at all Cheesy I can see our lovely mods deleted eBTC thread, I suggested it myself Cheesy great job, LOVE you Satoshi (Theymos) and Hilariousandco as well as every other moderator.
theguy217 (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 09:23:46 PM

You came to this conclusion after 27 posts? you seem like that you know a lot about this forum, If I go somewhere as a noob, it'll take months for me to be open as you are now. You're just a noob but you are ordering mods like they are your servants. Mods are trashing threads, We don't know which ones, Only they know. I am offended, I had 3 of my posts deleted after I logged in.
EDIT:
I am not offended at all Cheesy I can see our lovely mods deleted eBTC thread, I suggested it myself Cheesy great job, LOVE you Satoshi (Theymos) and Hilariousandco as well as every other moderator.

Well guess what I'm not a noob. I just spend most of my time reading and learning rather that typing some shit here and there.

I've been a member since April. That's six months if you don't know how to count.
I'm not ordering anyone.

I just see something that I don't like and I'm suggesting solutions to it.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1338

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2017, 10:19:17 PM

Mods lock or move to trashcan such spam megathreads sooner or later. But in my opinion, they are doing it too late. Threads shouldn't grow up to 100 pages before they get locked. Maybe max. 15-20 pages would be optimal. Anyway, you always can use "report to moderator" button if you think that this thread shouldn't be active anymore. It's good that several sig. campaign managers not paying for posts made in these big threads. But many managers, especially of ICO campaigns doesn't care much about it.

pixie85

Activity: 2170
Merit: 528

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 10:57:51 PM

I think the easiest and fastest way to resolve this would be if campaign managers agreed not to pay for such spam. If they weren't paying people wouldn't spam there and would move to other, hopefully more constructive threads. I've seen some old campaign threads and you used to get paid for posting in off-topic, but you no longer do because people sere spamming there like crazy. It's time to make some new rules.
Coiner_

Activity: 224
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 12:14:17 AM

Hi everyone.

I just have one single question. In each and every section of the forum you'll find threads which are already too big and have thousands of replies.
They will be with useless title such as what's is your wish regarding bitcoins and you'll find it with 2000+ replies  Sad

And of course most of them are just meaningless replies from members who are part of signature campaigns/bounties who are doing so just to get the few bucks.

Like what do you think ?  Of course anyone just wants to make money out of it and want its price to go up. Is it that hard to know  Huh

I think one of the following has to happen:

1- Lock such useless threads by the mods (I know they're already doing a good job deleting tons of shit posts that are made every minute but no one else has control).

2- Make it against the rules of the forum to accept members who post in such threads or basically say it wide and clear that you don't get any money for posts made in redundant threads.

What do you guys think ?

This is one example of what I'm saying https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1652815.0;topicseen

I think it's not that good a suggestion. You're aware of the fact that in addition to their social channels and slack/telegram/discord, most projects (at least all of the ones I follow) regularly post updates on the thread, right? Admittedly this is different from the one you linked to and others like it but x replies != useless thread.

Mods lock or move to trashcan such spam megathreads sooner or later. But in my opinion, they are doing it too late. Threads shouldn't grow up to 100 pages before they get locked. Maybe max. 15-20 pages would be optimal.

So what do you do for project threads? Like LBRY's, ByteBall's, Elixir's, etc that are well over 15 pages with a number of updates interspersed?
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1338

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 12:15:08 PM

Mods lock or move to trashcan such spam megathreads sooner or later. But in my opinion, they are doing it too late. Threads shouldn't grow up to 100 pages before they get locked. Maybe max. 15-20 pages would be optimal.

So what do you do for project threads? Like LBRY's, ByteBall's, Elixir's, etc that are well over 15 pages with a number of updates interspersed?
I'm talking about threads from Bitcoin Discussion subforum, such as "Why should people use Bitcoin?" (102 pages), "What do you think are the biggest disadvantages of Bitcoin?" - 68 pages, "How do you store your bitcoins?" - 82 pages and many more similar threads.
I don't have anything against projects and services threads with lot of replies.

popolite11

Activity: 882
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 12:21:56 PM

I don't want them to ban sig campaigns. Just a simple small rule that no managers should count these posts is enough.

Staff and mods don't even get paid that much. So I just want these campaigns to remain for their sake as they can participate in them.

If not this huge threads then you will just see a lot of new threads with stupid questions.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 07:30:07 PM

If not this huge threads then you will just see a lot of new threads with stupid questions.
That's a fucking stupid justification for keeping spam megathreads alive. Neither threads with repetitious/stupid questions nor threads with 20+ pages of replies should be allowed. If we were just able to eliminate the appearance of spam-based threads altogether (to encourage the use of the very important search feature) then the forum would be way cleaner.
I personally believe that it would be better for the forum to completely trash the spam megathreads so that spammers can see a post (and potentially activity) decline in their accounts.

marlboroza
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 2270

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 10:49:55 PM

If you lock one thread new one will appear.
That kind of threads will die but number of posts in other threads will increase until they become useless, over and over again.

That's a fucking stupid justification for keeping spam megathreads alive. Neither threads with repetitious/stupid questions nor threads with 20+ pages of replies should be allowed. If we were just able to eliminate the appearance of spam-based threads altogether (to encourage the use of the very important search feature) then the forum would be way cleaner.
Actually he is right, it's not stupid. You will either have 1 mega thread or lots of smaller identical topics:

marketplace - how to earn bitcoins, effective way to earn bitcoins, how to earn btc from online, how to make bitcoin, how to earn 100000 satoshi in a week etc
Meta - junior member, rank question, junior member, rank question, my activity, junior member rank etc
service discussion - cloud mining, is cloud mining scam or legit, i want to start cloud mining, trusted cloud mining, is cloud mining still profitable etc
economics - bitcoin is an investment?, saving or investing?, is it better to save money or invest it?, is bitcoin good way to invest money?, where can I invest my money?, what is best way to invest/grow your bitcoins etc.
trading discussion - when do you buy, when do you sell, when sell eth for btc, when do you plan to sell, do I hold?, hold or sell, buy low sell high?, BUY low sell high, day trading or HODLING, day trade or hodling, i start trading, i quit trading, my first day of trading,  gonna start trading next week, starting the trade, trading btc etc
service discussion(altcoins) - myetherwallet, how to get safe in myetherwallet, MyEtherWallet, myetherwallet, My Ether Wallet, Myetherwallet hacked, altcoin bounties campaigns are waste, how profitable are doing bounties, HOW TO EARN MORE MONEY FROM BOUNTIES, earning with bounty campaigns, Bounty, bounty campaign, bounty vs airdrops, airdrops, bounty programs, what are purpose of airdrops, Newbie question: What is an airdrop and are they worth participating in?, how can I earn airdrops, best new airdrop, etc..
alcoin discussion - any new airdrop coins, best upcoming ICO, what is next promising ico, how to identify good ico, ICO, new ICO's coming up, which alt coin is best now, what is the best coin, which altcoins, which ico would you suggest for October etc
ETC.

Just look at the numbers:

I mean, what is the point of trashing mega threads? Someone will create new one for the same thing and you won't even notice it until it becomes mega thread.

Lets take gambling discussion for example - if you trash whole board, users will start to ask the same questions in gambling board and then you will have gambling and gambling discussion in the same board and over time you will have dozens of the same topics that were trashed from gambling discussion board in gambling board.
I personally believe that it would be better for the forum to completely trash the spam megathreads so that spammers can see a post (and potentially activity) decline in their accounts.
If this is only reason....to be honest it won't do much. Removing couple of hundreds posts from someones account won't make any difference. It is not solution.

Better solution would be disabling signatures for ranks below senior member rank. If you want to earn money spend half year here first.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 02:54:27 AM

Better solution would be disabling signatures for ranks below senior member rank. If you want to earn money spend half year here first
And on that day, the account sellers bellowed and guffawed at the forum, brushing their teeth with golden toothbrushes.

Signature campaigns shouldn't have such a huge effect on the forum that it destroys signatures for members under Sr. Member status. I don't think any other forums suffer from this problem (though I'm unsure about the traffic on this vs. others) of signature campaigns.
My proposition of trashing the thread would only work if we had stiff moderation policies that were consistent on eliminating all repeat threads. In this case, subsequent threads would also be trashed and spammers will get the picture (or create Meta threads in which there's going to be one reply by a mod).
As for the stats you've brought up, then let us consider this: trashing megathreads will disincentivize people from cluttering up threads and dragging it out to eternity, where they will get a hit to their post count (and perhaps activity).

Maybe a better solution is to permanently decrease activity for every post one has in the spam megathreads.

yojodojo21

Activity: 420
Merit: 171

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 03:33:56 AM

Moderators Of this Forum is not just deleting without reading The Thread that you say sort of spam.
They are Reviewing & Reading all Post what is to be Deleted.
 I have Also Experience that some of my posts was Deleted. Maybe Shit Post will be Deleted but, it is Chosen. That is Why We Have Report to Moderator. If you Think that a Person is Spamming then Do it.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 04:10:31 AM

That is Why We Have Report to Moderator. If you Think that a Person is Spamming then Do it.
At any moment when you report a single post to a moderator (and undergo the horrendous loading time for it to process) then once you are finished with that one, at least three more spam posts will have appeared on the forum. How many reports have you filed out? The issue is in the fact that most don't care enough to report every single spam post they see, purely because of quantity. I can't be bothered to go to trashy threads and click "Report to moderator" on all of the 70+ replies.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3098

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 09:56:38 AM

Signature campaigns are ruining this forum... if not ruined already.

Someone must be preaching this forum in their cult - because almost every new member is an idiot lately.  :/

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
Coiner_

Activity: 224
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 04:36:29 PM

I'm talking about threads from Bitcoin Discussion subforum, such as "Why should people use Bitcoin?" (102 pages), "What do you think are the biggest disadvantages of Bitcoin?" - 68 pages, "How do you store your bitcoins?" - 82 pages and many more similar threads.
I don't have anything against projects and services threads with lot of replies.

Oh, I see what you mean and definitely agree.

"Too late to get in BTC now?" (47 pages) - Trading Discussion and "How much do you invest in bitcoins?" (21 pages) - Trading Discussion are two that I'm starting to feel are way past their expiration date. "What is your biggest regrets in cryptocurrency?" (18 pages) - Altcoin Discussion may be too but isn't it more like the Stake your BTC address thread than a spam megathread? "★ ClaimWithMe ★ Most Paying Faucet Of All Times ☆ 13,890sat/min ☆ Free Bitcoins!" (87 pages) - Micro Earnings" is one that should have been locked 37 pages ago, after it was shown to be a scam and the OP ran away. Despite (more than) a few mods being contacted it still chugs along with people regurgitating the same stuff over and over again, and even worse, it's become a cesspool of "Ah, CWM is a scam. Check out my totally legit 100% not a scam way to earn bitcoyns for free - link  Grin" posts.

I just noticed this new pinned post by mprep in the Altcoin ANN section. It should stop a significant amount of the spam there.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 04:52:36 PM

Signature campaigns are ruining this forum... if not ruined already.

Someone must be preaching this forum in their cult - because almost every new member is an idiot lately.  :/

If you can't beat them, join them  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: