Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:43:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Homemade Mining Farm Advice and Help  (Read 447 times)
N00bMiner33 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 10:32:56 PM

Hello All, 

I am getting ready to build my own farm at my home and I would like some advice or help.  Currently I have 4x D3s and 3x L3+ on order and should be arriving over the next month or so (I know there are lots of different thoughts and arguments as to which is the most profitable and the best way to go, here i am looking for help and advice in setting up my farm, not the miners as they are already bought).  I would like to grow this up to about 15-20 miners over the course of the next year.  Currently i am trying to determine the best place  and way to setup my farm. 

I own a three story end unit condo with a two car garage.  This leaves me with two main options to place the farm:

For either option i will run a single Ethernet cable to a Cisco SG112-24 Gigabit switch and then connect the miners to that.

1- The unused closet of our rarely used guest bedroom.  The closet area is about 5x6 with 9 feet tall ceilings.  Pro's to this location are it is within 3 feet of the electrical panel, next to a window for ventilation, and keeps the miners in a relatively climate controlled and secure location being inside the house.  Con's to this are the heat, noise, and space it takes up, along with having to do a bit of construction on the closet area,  I grew up doing construction and finish carpentry so its not a deal breaker. 
http://[img][img][/img][/img]

2- The garage.  We have a two car garage and the plan would be to use 1/2 for a car, 1/4 for an isolated work shop, and 1/4 for storage and the miners.  My idea is to build a large cabinet close to the garage door and use the door for ventilation. I was thinking of using the windows in it and hooking up a vortex fan to pump air in or out depending on the season or both.  I have a friend who is an electrician and is willing to help me run electrical out to this cabinet and wire it up.  Pro's to this location are less noise, heat/exhaust "could" be used to heat the garage and in turn help to heat the house, plenty of room to expand, doesn't mess up the house or damage any resale value.  Con's running electrical, possible ventilation issues, and access to the cabinet.
http://[img][img][/img][/img]

So that's about it, any help is greatly appreciated.  I have thought of going into GPU mining but haven't done anything with that yet, it is a possibility. 

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum or there is a better one please move it accordingly.  I would like to attach pictures if can aswell. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 04:09:15 AM

Hello All, 

I am getting ready to build my own farm at my home and I would like some advice or help.  Currently I have 4x D3s and 3x L3+ on order and should be arriving over the next month or so (I know there are lots of different thoughts and arguments as to which is the most profitable and the best way to go, here i am looking for help and advice in setting up my farm, not the miners as they are already bought).  I would like to grow this up to about 15-20 miners over the course of the next year.  Currently i am trying to determine the best place  and way to setup my farm. 

I own a three story end unit condo with a two car garage.  This leaves me with two main options to place the farm:

For either option i will run a single Ethernet cable to a Cisco SG112-24 Gigabit switch and then connect the miners to that.

1- The unused closet of our rarely used guest bedroom.  The closet area is about 5x6 with 9 feet tall ceilings.  Pro's to this location are it is within 3 feet of the electrical panel, next to a window for ventilation, and keeps the miners in a relatively climate controlled and secure location being inside the house.  Con's to this are the heat, noise, and space it takes up, along with having to do a bit of construction on the closet area,  I grew up doing construction and finish carpentry so its not a deal breaker. 
[/img][/img]

2- The garage.  We have a two car garage and the plan would be to use 1/2 for a car, 1/4 for an isolated work shop, and 1/4 for storage and the miners.  My idea is to build a large cabinet close to the garage door and use the door for ventilation. I was thinking of using the windows in it and hooking up a vortex fan to pump air in or out depending on the season or both.  I have a friend who is an electrician and is willing to help me run electrical out to this cabinet and wire it up.  Pro's to this location are less noise, heat/exhaust "could" be used to heat the garage and in turn help to heat the house, plenty of room to expand, doesn't mess up the house or damage any resale value.  Con's running electrical, possible ventilation issues, and access to the cabinet.
[/img][/img]

So that's about it, any help is greatly appreciated.  I have thought of going into GPU mining but haven't done anything with that yet, it is a possibility. 

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum or there is a better one please move it accordingly.  I would like to attach pictures if can aswell. 

You'll want to put them in the garage.  Antminer D3 and L3 ASICs are loud and will put out a ton of heat.  You would have to rig up a ton of ventilation to make them work in a closet.
Phantoms001

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 04:37:58 AM

I don't think its even close.  It certainly would be the garage.  If you have a choice of having them in the house or out, its a pretty easy decision.  I think your list of "pros" and "cons" also makes the garage the easy choice.  Build a little enclosure by the window in the garage, run a 220 and set them loose.  I think you have a huge noise and heat problem going inside.  While you will have to run power to the garage, you will also have to run power inside.  Standard wiring just isn't going to support those miners. 
N00bMiner33 (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:28:52 PM

OK, thanks for your help.  It looks like the garage it is. 

Now then, how to build a cabinet to hold all of this?  I would like it to be scale able. 
I am thinking of a 8'w x 8' h x 4' d cabinet with 4 shelves in it, the top shelf could hold the switch and fans. 
I am thinking of building the shelving in the middle and making it about 12" wide which would leave me about 18" hot side on the back and 18" cool side on the front.  I would like to have all the miners exhaust out the back of their shelf into the hot side and then use a fan or vortex fan to pull the hot air out of the cabinet.  On the front or sides would be filters allowing fresh air in.  I could hook up another fan to blow air in, but i think having the fans on the hot side to pull it out would be best. 

Again any tips or advice would be great.  I'll try to draw up some diagrams to better illustrate my ideas. 
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:37:43 PM

Well what the above said i think the noise and heat could  be the problem but there are ways that honestly that can help you to reduce the noise of those hardware you can try the method to make noise reduction of your hardwares.. watch this video if what is looks a like..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbAjh5q1Tzw

And as you can seen you can see the thermometer too so that you can check the heat so you can also use air from aircon that i think can help to decrease the heat of your miners..
N00bMiner33 (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:00:49 AM

Currently talking to a few friends who have been in this for a while, with winter coming the heat will aid in heating my home and thereby making my over all home a bit more efficient.  My plan is to exhaust out the hot side into the garage, should that become too hot i will redirect it out windows and vents in my garage.   

During the summer i will exhaust out the garage door and intake through the garage door on the other side.
I plan on using a vortex fan for exhausting. 
Steven3iii

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 12:52:48 PM

It has got to be the garage. Your wife will kill you when she finds out you mine shitcoins at around 92 decibels.

Show me the money.  Grin

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: