Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:56:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Email security notifications  (Read 3380 times)
coin163

Activity: 462
Merit: 281

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 08:55:06 AM

Thank you for improved security

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5245436.0

Disposable surgical Face Mask with CE, FDA Approved for sell.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chencho777

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 10:26:04 AM

This will surely discourage most account hacking attempts, if most people are able to lock their account after a suspicious password/email change. It will probably lower the workload of Admins regarding this problem as well.

It would also be great if the recovery process would be automated somehow. As an example, being able to trigger a password reset from that same security email. Or enable a form to submit a link to a posted bitcoin address and a signed message with that address, which can be automatically verified so that the Admins don't have to do it manually.

Thanks again.
TheRealAwesome31312

Activity: 136
Merit: 25

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 02:41:23 AM
Last edit: October 21, 2017, 03:23:44 AM by TheRealAwesome31312

I added email notifications for some security events:

Whenever your password is changed (except by an administrator), you will get an email about it.

Whenever your email is changed (except by an administrator), your old email will get an email about it with a link to lock your account. The link is valid for 14 days.

Let me know if you find any bugs.

Post edited. I thought there was a bug, but alas, looks like I never got the email notification when the email was changed. Now some douchebag who can't even speak English is making money spamming the forum using my identity.
Bitfort

Activity: 952
Merit: 339

invest trade and gamble wisely

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 11:29:00 AM

About time  Wink ...hope this can reduce amount of hacked accounts.

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄E► (KCS) Kucoin-Staking, Auto-Lending, Trading-Bot
◄E► (BNB) Binance-Staking, Savings, 10% RefBack
◄E► (TRX) Poloniex-Staking, Lending, Fee Discount
◄E► (LEO) Bitfinex-Staking, Auto-Lending

◄G► Betfury-Faucet, Dividend Earnings (BFG holders, mine BFG by playing)
◄G► Bitvest -  Faucet, Bankroll Invest
◄G► CryptoGames-Faucet, Lotto
◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

◄M► Prohashing (Multipool)-Payout in any coin, get 0.50% bonus for 30 days
◄M► MiningRigRentals (Marketplace)-buy hashrate or rent your miners
◄M► Viabtc  (Pool)-payout to Coinex (exchnage) without fees

audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:26:08 PM

This is something to be happy about as this increase the amount of security to the account. However, my question is that, if someone for example attempted to hack the account, I get a notification in my email which I took action on, how do I claim my account back? That part is not clear in any of the posts earlier. Also, is there a way for the source of the message to be made public so that I know before hand where the address I should receive a message from in case there is an attack, this is important not to fall for phishing mails and not to willingly give the access thinking one is denying such.
azril fauzan

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 04:48:36 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2017, 01:24:45 AM by azril fauzan

"Sorry abdillahzidan, you are not allowed to post or send private messages in this forum.
You have been banned by forum moderators. You can appeal here: banappeals-w6pquw43@theymos.e4ward.com."There is a notification like that on my old account But up to now there has been no response at all despite sending a mail to that address. There is an odd crosshatch with that address , but hope I just want my account can be commented again and can send personal message as before-before nya.To consideration I will include link profile and activity link
link profile; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1052912
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1052912;sa=showPosts
Thank you for all
TheRealAwesome31312

Activity: 136
Merit: 25

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 05:07:44 PM

Yeah, anybody with more than four brain cells knows that an email address should have something to do with account security. It shouldn't just serve as a label. Seriously
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 06:28:43 AM

However, my question is that, if someone for example attempted to hack the account, I get a notification in my email which I took action on, how do I claim my account back? That part is not clear in any of the posts earlier.
It's clear. If your password is changed, you receive an email notification. Thus, you can reset your password via email. If however the email is changed, then you have a link to lock your account and retrieve the account.
What was unclear?

This covers all (2) scenarios when someone's account is hacked.

gliridian

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:57:53 PM

Thanks for doing this Theymos. Maybe a lot of people will complain on why these security features were applied just now. But monitoring and managing these huge community from different backgrounds to different parts of the world is really hard. So I really appreciate your hardwork here in bitcointalk and for providing us a more secure venue. I know you're doing all your best to make everything here work smoothly.
AndroMerlin

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 07:24:27 PM

how to do this at my end?
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2017, 02:43:22 PM

I noticed this news only now. It's great, I hope it will help to reduce number of hacked accounts. From what I saw, amount of hacked accounts big in recent months. Important thing - don't use same password on Bitcointalk and email
P.S. As I understand, administrator (theymos and Cyrus) have ability to change user email address? Why they may need to it?

Globb0
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053

Free spirit

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 05:26:44 PM

I noticed this news only now. It's great, I hope it will help to reduce number of hacked accounts. From what I saw, amount of hacked accounts big in recent months. Important thing - don't use same password on Bitcointalk and email
P.S. As I understand, administrator (theymos and Cyrus) have ability to change user email address? Why they may need to it?

For an example. What if some one loses their password but no longer has use of that old inbox to reset the password. But luckily they can prove they can sign a message from an associated BTC address.  "I am Darren at BCT Forum-07860986060869#"

There must be a mechanism for an Admin to achieve such changes. When they deem appropriate, admin is a responsible role.

maeusi

Activity: 462
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 05:50:28 PM

Please move this thread on top of Meta section.
Awan Awan

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 19, 2017, 08:54:29 AM

Thank theymos,

is this email security features can request new password if we forgot it?

Yes. Just set forgit password and enter your username or email then email notification sent to your email.
mrsalve01

Activity: 74

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 12:27:15 AM

This is good security measure but is it working?

My account https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=400666 got hacked 14'th of Nov. Email changed and then password.

I got in to it quickly in minutes after it was done. Clicked a link and thought thief can't use account any more.
Checking now my account activity I notice someone has been it on it today cus it showing last activity Last Active:
November 22, 2017, 03:12:06 AM???

Btw Cyrus or theymos if you find time I would like to get my account back. I sent PM's to you with proof that I'm a original email holder and then other one with signed message.

Sefatih

Activity: 150
Merit: 11

The Great Trader

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2017, 12:33:04 AM

theymos

Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com

-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
My account <Afandoras> has been hacked/lost. Please reset the email to <f.akyuzz@hotmail.com>. The current date is <01.11.2017 /23.11.2017>.

Account locked . Nick Afandoras  . Helpp
Cryptoshaft

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2018, 03:16:15 AM

You should have implemented this long ago.

Too bad for me, you implement this only after my account got hacked.
My hacked Dorky account underwent both password and email change less than 14 days ago.
And the last time I check my old email inbox, I don't see any notification there.
I suppose it is now 100% gone.

Update:
So I received notification to this "Dorkie"
But I received no notification to "Dorky" when I try to recover password for this username.
The old email address used by "Dorky" is the same as I used it with this account.

Update #2:
Pissed that my Dorky account lost to this.
Nevertheless let's hope this added security notification will help to significantly reduce (if not totally eliminate) all account hacking.
It may not be able to save my "Dorky", but at least it may save many other accounts from now onward.
indeed.
i also lost my account prior to hack.
the email changed and last time i asked to mod, it's banned already.
i think they also should record 'first email registered' to verify account ownership manually
krishnaverma

Activity: 1288
Merit: 106

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 05:49:15 AM

OP, what happens after the account is unlocked by the admin ? What will be the email id in that account - earlier one or the one that hacker used?
patron bounty

Activity: 91

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 05:40:10 PM

Thanks theymos this is a good security features.
this is an effort to improve the security of our work system
Cosette

Activity: 77

DAMN SON!

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 05:54:27 PM

OP, what happens after the account is unlocked by the admin ?
OP is admin Roll Eyes

What will be the email id in that account - earlier one or the one that hacker used?
Based on this sticky post on this section, you will ask signed message with your new email address.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=497545.0

-
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: