Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:10:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding the importance of HODLing - CMC 2016 vs 2017  (Read 1795 times)
Svelto

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 12:04:59 PM

It is amazing to see the market cap and price increases so many folds from Oct 2016 to Oct 2017. I have seen more users coming to the crypto world especially in the past year and I expect more to come. From this, we can expect the market cap and price to increase further in the coming year.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CryptoBuds
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1042

HODL

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 12:10:31 PM

Great comparison of 2016 vs. 2017. But I think the difference between 2017 and 2018 would be much less.

xianbits

Activity: 910
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 12:22:24 PM

Great comparison of 2016 vs. 2017. But I think the difference between 2017 and 2018 would be much less.
We are on different side. I think it would be the other way but I don't have a solid principle that would justify this. It's more on faith. With that, may I know why do you say so?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▌                          ▐
▌      ███████████████     ▐
▌      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▐
▌      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▐
▌      █████████████▄      ▐
▌      ████      ▀███▌     ▐
▌      ████       ▐███     ▐
▌      ████      ▄███▌     ▐
▌      █████████████▀      ▐
▌      ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▐
▌      ████                ▐
▌      ████                ▐
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

ERSISTENCE
BUILDING THE BRIDGE ━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Protocol Powering
Next-Gen Financial Products
/            ━━━
Buy XPRT
\               ▄▄▄▄
          ▄██▀▀▀▀██▄
     ▄▄▄▄██▀      ▀██
  ▄██▀▀▀██▀        ▐█▌
 ██▀     █▀  ▄    ▄██
▐█▌        ▄██▄▄▄██▀
 ██▄      ▄██▀▀▀▀
  ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ 
     ▀▀▀▀   
DeFi

▄██▄  ▀████████▄
 ▄██▀▀██▄        ▀██▄
███    ▀██▄        ███
 ▀██▄    ▀██▄    ▄██▀
   ▀██▄    ▀██▄▄██▀
     ▀██▄    ▀██▀
       ▀██▄▄██▀
         ▀██▀
NFT

▄██▄
                  ▄██▀▀██▄
       ▄██▄     ▄██▀    ▀██▄
     ▄██▀▀██▄ ▄██▀        ▀██▄
   ▄██▀    █████            ▀██▄
 ▄██▀    ▄██▀ ▀██▄            ▀██▄
██▀    ▄███▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄
PoS

ANN | Twitter | Medium | GitHub
Reddit | YouTube | Discord
Telegram ANN | Telegram Community
mrdenis

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 12:37:52 PM

We are on different side. I think it would be the other way but I don't have a solid principle that would justify this. It's more on faith. With that, may I know why do you say so?

I also think that difference will be similar or even bigger between 2017 and 2018, because between 2016-2017 mostly ordinary people started to invest in cryptocurrencies. I expect "big players" (financial institutions) to join soon...

❍ E M M A R E S  ❍              Email as you know it, will never be the same.
EMMARES ICO  |   TELEGRAM  |   REDDIT   |   LINKEDIN   TWITTER  | MEDIUM  FACEBOOK 
Slipknot79
Copper Member

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Blockchain Just Entered The Real World

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 12:49:53 PM

Although Crypto is actually just money. It is also an investment into the future for now.

With an investment one needs to HOLD! Thats what I think most people miss.

fedor3327

Activity: 644
Merit: 523

Passionate about Crypto

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 01:08:20 PM

Only a fool will not be patient. There is nothing that is legal that really makes a lot of money quickly.

You maybe lucky and get a deal to go well here and there. That said. Long term wealth is always via holding.
DigeNarrator

Activity: 210
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 01:27:22 PM

Case closed. After everything's said and done, the data prove that hodling is money. Grin It looks unbelievable to me now.  Shocked Imagine how everything turns up very fast. I hope this will become even better in the following year. I am hodling several altcoins right now. I hope it will multiply several fold after a year. And I will be the one to post it like this.  Grin

I think that it will grow faster and faster
like the internet did, and the smartphones .. and every technology that we know
perazdera

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 01:33:55 PM

When I see this prices from 2016 I want to cry because I did not hear about crypto world in 2016 Sad Sad Sad
mrdenis

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 02:33:25 PM

When I see this prices from 2016 I want to cry because I did not hear about crypto world in 2016 Sad Sad Sad

Buy it now and you won't cry in 2018  Grin

EMMARES ICO  |   TELEGRAM  |   REDDIT   |   LINKEDIN   TWITTER  | MEDIUM  FACEBOOK 
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 02:53:11 PM

That is a very nice comparison to explain the definition of hodling, pick a good and strong coin, hodling, then profit
kabit9 (OP)

Activity: 853
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 03:16:29 PM

Wow... Crazy volume increase Smiley

and this volume increase happened before the so-called 'financial community' has started putting money in.... watch the fun over the next 12 months with hedge funds pouring in and on the other side, regulations coming up.  Easily expect to see 3-5x prices across the board conservatively.

If hedge funds start puring in some serious cash prices could exceed even more than 5x...  Smiley

Which coins are the safest bet for really long term hodl? I'm thinking about dividing my longterm portfolio between these coins: BTC (30%), ETH (30%), NEO (15%), OMG (15%), KNC (5%) and XZC (5%).

Your portfolio looks like a good split. I assume you have done your research, since I do not know KNC and XZC at all.  I have spread myself a little thinner over about 10-12 names, with NEO and XRP currently being high on the list.

Yeah, somehow I forgot about Ripple Shocked XRP is probably safer/better investment on longterm than XZC.
Fixed longterm portofilo: BTC (30%), ETH (25%), NEO (15%), OMG (10%), XRP (10%), KNC (5%) and XZC (5%)

I like ZCoin (XZC) because it offers anonymity and it can be used in conjunction with Bitcoin to secure an individual’s Bitcoins. It also has pretty stable value when there are no strange circumstances on the market...
KNC - Kyber Network, I bought this when they had their ICO... When KNC came on Liqui it had over 2usd price (around 8x ico price) but I sold only 30% (to return my investment and get little profit) because I really like this project. One of advisors is Vitalik so team looks pretty strong and promising.  If project will be done right, I think it could jump to OMG price range in the next two years..
I would give NEO bigger percentage (and maybe I will) but currently I'm not so confiedent about it because of China ban... I'm following the situation and will see what happens..

I wonder how many projects have Vitalik listed as 'advisor'.  I'm sure a few even do that without his knowledge Tongue!  Not suggesting KNC is not legit, but don't use Vitalik as a benchmark for anything except the shortcomings of his promises about the ethereum platform. I will check out KNC and XZC too. 

I invested in NEO around June/July at around $6.  Since then I have seen the price go to above $45 and back down to $19 (following the ban) but never seen a single digit number again or even low teens.  It seems to have shrugged off China quite easily, which is remarkable considering its a Chinese project. I should also add to my NEO, as my current holdings are very low of NEO, and my heart and mind are convinced of it somehow. 

Some others that maybe interesting to HODL - WAVES, Monero, Litecoin, BTX, SONM, SiaCoin (?), and a few others that I'm too stoned to remember now.

CryptoScorpio

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 03:25:12 PM

Nice statistics.
If we observe every coin has increased in price and market cap.But there is something to know nowadays most of the ICO's are eating up Bitcoins money and Bitcoin even though experiencing new investors is increasing slowly.But once it get settled then it will skyrocket.
vatanen

Activity: 293

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 03:30:37 PM

Good point, but the main issue is: do you need the money now?

If so, convert to fiat but just as much as you are in need of. If not, let it grow.

Makes sense?

That is why it very important to invest the money you can afford to lose. You cant put all your savings in an investment where you really dont know what will happen next as we dont know the mind of the developers where if they are serious on the project or will just abandon it after the ICO.
muncuss

Activity: 634
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 03:33:15 PM

When i see this prices from 2016 i want to cry because i was new in crypto world, when i still could accumulate many cheap ltc and dash but i wasn't did it.
But now we still have potential ICO there Wink
Greedy_bear

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 04:04:09 PM

Why? IMO both more and less are possible. At least my knowledge of the market does not suggest any particular expectation. 10 times growth a year for Bitcoin may be the least likely, but others have much more room to grow. Even for Bitcoin, I think both $900 billions and even $9 trillion are possible.
chocopapaya

Activity: 686
Merit: 131

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 04:30:06 PM

just . . . wow.

Every person here wishes they would have gotten in earlier.  Hasn't everyone dreamed about what it would be like to have gotten in from the very start also?

With that being said, are there people here who actually have been here from the start?

mrdenis

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 04:35:03 PM

Wow... Crazy volume increase Smiley

and this volume increase happened before the so-called 'financial community' has started putting money in.... watch the fun over the next 12 months with hedge funds pouring in and on the other side, regulations coming up.  Easily expect to see 3-5x prices across the board conservatively.

If hedge funds start puring in some serious cash prices could exceed even more than 5x...  Smiley

Which coins are the safest bet for really long term hodl? I'm thinking about dividing my longterm portfolio between these coins: BTC (30%), ETH (30%), NEO (15%), OMG (15%), KNC (5%) and XZC (5%).

Your portfolio looks like a good split. I assume you have done your research, since I do not know KNC and XZC at all.  I have spread myself a little thinner over about 10-12 names, with NEO and XRP currently being high on the list.

Yeah, somehow I forgot about Ripple Shocked XRP is probably safer/better investment on longterm than XZC.
Fixed longterm portofilo: BTC (30%), ETH (25%), NEO (15%), OMG (10%), XRP (10%), KNC (5%) and XZC (5%)

I like ZCoin (XZC) because it offers anonymity and it can be used in conjunction with Bitcoin to secure an individual’s Bitcoins. It also has pretty stable value when there are no strange circumstances on the market...
KNC - Kyber Network, I bought this when they had their ICO... When KNC came on Liqui it had over 2usd price (around 8x ico price) but I sold only 30% (to return my investment and get little profit) because I really like this project. One of advisors is Vitalik so team looks pretty strong and promising.  If project will be done right, I think it could jump to OMG price range in the next two years..
I would give NEO bigger percentage (and maybe I will) but currently I'm not so confiedent about it because of China ban... I'm following the situation and will see what happens..

I wonder how many projects have Vitalik listed as 'advisor'.  I'm sure a few even do that without his knowledge Tongue!  Not suggesting KNC is not legit, but don't use Vitalik as a benchmark for anything except the shortcomings of his promises about the ethereum platform. I will check out KNC and XZC too. 

I invested in NEO around June/July at around $6.  Since then I have seen the price go to above $45 and back down to $19 (following the ban) but never seen a single digit number again or even low teens.  It seems to have shrugged off China quite easily, which is remarkable considering its a Chinese project. I should also add to my NEO, as my current holdings are very low of NEO, and my heart and mind are convinced of it somehow. 

Some others that maybe interesting to HODL - WAVES, Monero, Litecoin, BTX, SONM, SiaCoin (?), and a few others that I'm too stoned to remember now.

Yeah I know, still I think Kyber is legit and I read a lot of good things about it... Check it out, it's cheap now to invest...

NEO did a really good job for me too, I invested in Ant Shares when they were about 8usd and then I got NEO... I still hold it around 40% from what I bought - I sold some units and some I invested in Red Pulse (RPX).
I think it is a great (and fast) currency, but still work in progress, so yeah it has a lot of potential and it really has survied China ban... Well looks like I will have to buy some more Grin

Litecoin and Waves are also great, I don't know much about BTX and SONM - will check it out. I have plenty of SiaCoin (from ethereum dual mining) but it's in downtrend for quite some time now... I think that STORJ did a better job at decentralized cloud storage, so I don't know...

I also hold for quite some time now Gulden, Qtum, Tenx (pay) and Syscoin.

kabit9 (OP)

Activity: 853
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 06:43:36 PM

Yeah I know, still I think Kyber is legit and I read a lot of good things about it... Check it out, it's cheap now to invest...

NEO did a really good job for me too, I invested in Ant Shares when they were about 8usd and then I got NEO... I still hold it around 40% from what I bought - I sold some units and some I invested in Red Pulse (RPX).
I think it is a great (and fast) currency, but still work in progress, so yeah it has a lot of potential and it really has survied China ban... Well looks like I will have to buy some more Grin

Litecoin and Waves are also great, I don't know much about BTX and SONM - will check it out. I have plenty of SiaCoin (from ethereum dual mining) but it's in downtrend for quite some time now... I think that STORJ did a better job at decentralized cloud storage, so I don't know...

I also hold for quite some time now Gulden, Qtum, Tenx (pay) and Syscoin.

I was also aboard the AntShares train before the re-branding. Smiley

Would highly recommend looking into BTX, it is very interesting, promising, and potentially rewarding (bonus before the end of October).

SONM is also allegedly the next big thing after cloud computing -- fog computing.  Don't ask me to explain please, lol, a distributed cloud is a fog from what little I gather.

I remember reading some comparisons between Storj and SiaCoin, and decided to choose Sia to invest.  I am down about 70% on my Sia investment, but as the title of this thread says, i'm HODLing! Smiley

Monetizer

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 06:00:51 AM

Great point. But let' not forget that BTC also dropped from $1200 to $200 ish and stayed in that range for a long long while. It's very easy to make a one year side by side comparison when that year had been EXCEPTIONALLY good (and unusual) for the crypto short history.
Legendari

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 06:21:31 AM

Great point. But let' not forget that BTC also dropped from $1200 to $200 ish and stayed in that range for a long long while. It's very easy to make a one year side by side comparison when that year had been EXCEPTIONALLY good (and unusual) for the crypto short history.
Let's also not forget that at that time bitcoin was nothing. He had no distribution and the particular application. Now the situation is completely different. It integrates global companies and used to pay for goods and services + now in the world of great political instability and people are buying bitcoin.

❤   humancoin   ❤   Join our whitelist!      ❤   humancoin   ❤
███████                  A new era of charity                    ███████
▄ ▄ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  Telegram | Reddit | Medium | Twitter | ANN Thread | Facebook   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: