Bitcoin Forum
July 09, 2024, 05:05:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Phising attempt  (Read 373 times)
JimiPorter (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 3

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 08:55:59 AM

I got an email this morning, asking me to log in with my seed to my ether wallet. Allegedly, if I didn´t, I would be using the old Ether Blockchain and that´s horrible and blah, blah..

Just spreading the word of caution.
13abyknight

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 09:32:03 AM

I got an email this morning, asking me to log in with my seed to my ether wallet. Allegedly, if I didn´t, I would be using the old Ether Blockchain and that´s horrible and blah, blah..

This kind of phishing scams are very common these days. They just find a leaked mailing list and mass email everyone. As I always preach, double check the URL and check for an SSL certificate on top. Fishy links never have SSL and just by giving it a look you will be able to figure it out.
CryptosapienZA

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 09:35:26 AM

Thank you PO, but like the 13abyknight said this scam is all over. I even deleted my slack because I couldn't take it anymore. Everyday the channels were getting messages from these scam artists. The Crypto space is full of people who just want to take and take...
xianbits

Activity: 910
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 09:41:54 AM

This kind of phishing scams are very common these days. They just find a leaked mailing list and mass email everyone. As I always preach, double check the URL and check for an SSL certificate on top. Fishy links never have SSL and just by giving it a look you will be able to figure it out.
Also, you can't find an option to input your mew address when viewing your wallet in a phishing site. My advice, you just use your address everytime you view your wallet and you have to be used to it. By the time you came on a phishing site, then you can easily detect it since the "view with address only" option is not there.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▌                          ▐
▌      ███████████████     ▐
▌      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▐
▌      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▐
▌      █████████████▄      ▐
▌      ████      ▀███▌     ▐
▌      ████       ▐███     ▐
▌      ████      ▄███▌     ▐
▌      █████████████▀      ▐
▌      ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▐
▌      ████                ▐
▌      ████                ▐
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

ERSISTENCE
BUILDING THE BRIDGE ━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Protocol Powering
Next-Gen Financial Products
/            ━━━
Buy XPRT
\               ▄▄▄▄
          ▄██▀▀▀▀██▄
     ▄▄▄▄██▀      ▀██
  ▄██▀▀▀██▀        ▐█▌
 ██▀     █▀  ▄    ▄██
▐█▌        ▄██▄▄▄██▀
 ██▄      ▄██▀▀▀▀
  ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ 
     ▀▀▀▀   
DeFi

▄██▄  ▀████████▄
 ▄██▀▀██▄        ▀██▄
███    ▀██▄        ███
 ▀██▄    ▀██▄    ▄██▀
   ▀██▄    ▀██▄▄██▀
     ▀██▄    ▀██▀
       ▀██▄▄██▀
         ▀██▀
NFT

▄██▄
                  ▄██▀▀██▄
       ▄██▄     ▄██▀    ▀██▄
     ▄██▀▀██▄ ▄██▀        ▀██▄
   ▄██▀    █████            ▀██▄
 ▄██▀    ▄██▀ ▀██▄            ▀██▄
██▀    ▄███▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄
PoS

ANN | Twitter | Medium | GitHub
Reddit | YouTube | Discord
Telegram ANN | Telegram Community
rajakoin1994

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 10:51:12 AM

Yes it happens often, he sends us very many emails. He claims to be the bounty manager we follow and asks us to open our wallet.
The web interface is very similar to myetherwallet.
For the original myetherwallet, it has a writing like this "MYETHERWALLET LLC (US)" and the writing is green.
For now we must be careful, do not ever put your private key carelessly.
shirackjs

Activity: 812
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 10:58:35 AM

Thanks for the warning. To be safe, never access myetherwallet from clicking on any url. It is better to access by bookmark. Stay safe everyone.
Mini_Miner

Activity: 228
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:09:55 AM

Well, I almost do not use email. But caution is always helpful. Thanks for the warning.
Valzador

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:17:18 AM

Many stupid people are trapped by such traps when it is clearly plastered on myetherwallet site.
to anticipate phising use metamask, https://myetherwallet.github.io/knowledge-base/migration/moving-from-private-key-to-metamask.html
Xenrise

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:28:08 AM

I wouldn't say that this kind of activity is not present. Well it is. So this is a great awareness on all people here at this forum. Well I guess we need to keep up this thread tho. To raise awareness also.
ZZ8ZZ

Activity: 560
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 11:29:10 AM

They are doing this, cuz they know there are people that fall for this. Nothing new under the sun imo, but you should always be careful when it comes to emails regarding crypto (wallets, upcoming ICOs, etc.) I even came across at 1 btctalk clone forum where everything was basically the same, but the domain contained 1 more letter lol.
The saddest thing is that no one can't do anything to it, there are hundreds, if not thousands of these scams out there and reporting them won't do sh*t...
rain3798

Activity: 157

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 12:28:55 PM

Yes, this phising is really alarming, they were not different from a thief. Remember, inorder to be safe first do not open your etherwallet in different computer, second, bookmark your etherwallet and use it if your going to open our wallet so you will no longer type it in the url and lastly, add an extension to your chrome that will detect if your visiting a malicious site for example etheradresslookup just to lessen the risk.

turmalin

Activity: 133

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 12:49:10 PM

To avoid phishing sites you should always use only your own links to get to MEW or any other online wallet/exchange etc...
Greek Translator

Activity: 546
Merit: 105

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 12:54:53 PM

Many stupid people are trapped by such traps when it is clearly plastered on myetherwallet site.
to anticipate phising use metamask, https://myetherwallet.github.io/knowledge-base/migration/moving-from-private-key-to-metamask.html

Excuse me Valzador but they are not stupid, they just don't know the hidden danger that is behind every mail and web page.
I have found an ether address which is doing those scamming
Unfortunately this address has raised 1M dollars from stealing people money and no one cannot do anything about this situation 
flowdon

Activity: 340
Merit: 11

www.cd3d.app

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 01:03:24 PM

thanks for the info sir, im going to spread this king of phishing act to be more people aware of this email. because so many mew user hasn't a techie and they prone to this. 

marcbitcoins

Activity: 854
Merit: 108

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 01:13:18 PM

This is indeed a good warning and a reminder specially for the beginners which is new in bitcoin business and did not familiar on how to use a wallet properly in which mostly as first timer to use are becoming a temporary innocent or ignorant to a certain transaction will mostly are become victim of a hacker or Phishing scam attempts. This will be now to be use as guiding experience and my gratitude also.  Smiley Smiley
dangful

Activity: 210

Decentralized Jet-Stream Encrypted Multi-Media Dev

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 01:24:08 PM

LoL, phishing technique in hacking is very effective those days but eventually common antivirus has capable of detecting phishing and alike. Never trust your email contacts, they're just having 0.001% of luck.

Zdd9zdd9

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 01:55:08 PM

Somehow I got on someone's list and I receive stuff like this daily. After reading some security threads I never click on email links. If I think something is worth looking into I start at the original website and try to do whatever needs to be done then.
AngelSupport

Activity: 89

Angel Token - World's First Refundable ICO

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 06:15:02 AM

Good call. I get them almost daily now. Always check the links, hyperlinks or even better, don't click any links but rather make sure you type them yourself to your own wallet. Double check for misspells too!

Reatim

Activity: 2884
Merit: 364

⭕ BitList.co

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 06:18:03 AM

Thank your for giving us a heads up. Just yesterday I also received similar email and I login to see that my tokens are still there. And I was afraid that I may be hack or something. Although the amount is not that big, but still there are chances that those hackers can get my tokens. Just be careful and not to click on anything that looks suspicious.

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████▄▄████▄▄░
████▄████▀▀▀▀█░███▄
██▄███▀████████▀████▄
█░▄███████████████████▄
█░█████████████████████
█░█████████████████████
█░█████████████████████
█░▀███████████████▄▄▀▀
██▀███▄████████▄███▀
████▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
███████▀▀████▀▀
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BitList
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
REAL-TIME DATA TRACKING
CURATED BY THE COMMUNITY

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
List #kycfree Websites
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
Smoothmazi

Activity: 80

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 06:20:40 AM

I guess the theory of "Innovate or Die" strongly applies to phising scammers Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: