Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:38:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Voip possible with ASIC and computer?  (Read 731 times)
TmottaDing (OP)

Activity: 234
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:33:01 PM

What are the possibilities to piggie-back Voip with block chain to where the ASIC miners could work and also provide free voip service to everyone with miners?
I know this would take modems, memory, etc.....

<shrug> Only dumb question is one not asked....

All donations are greatly appreciated:  1AibKP93XECMoDZib48P7pZs43KUxcsoLX

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:13:50 AM

Sorry, but this is a dumb question. You wouldn't be asking it if you know what any of these terms meant.

VoIP, short for Voice over Internet Protocol, is a system for making telephone calls over the Internet instead of over standard phone lines. It has absolutely nothing to do with Bitcoin beyond both being things that are done on the Internet.
The blockchain is database containing the history of all Bitcoin transactions. New transactions are appended to it every 10 minutes on average. It is not even remotely useful for VoIP applications.
An ASIC miner is an Application Specific Integrated Circuit that executes the SHA-256 hashing algorithm used in Bitcoin mining. It cannot be used for anything else, for the same reason that the ASIC in your digital alarm clock can't be used for anything other than telling the time.

As an experienced electronic technician and network admin, you really ought to know these things.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
ashaw596

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:16:22 AM

Yeah, the two technologies are completely incompatible.
TmottaDing (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 01:11:40 PM

And of course the forum dictionary wants to tell me terms. Google can do that, get an oscilloscope and tell me why the two frequency modulations cant be manipulated into a transmittable wave? then we will get closer to a real answer. Asic has its job but usually people that have ASIC miner have old gpu rigs...thus the idea of combining equipment and having all necessary componets to send and receive that wave.  Think I may need to find a different forum.

J35st3r

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:14:12 PM

[->Foxpup] Hey, don't bite the newbies, it seemed like a genuine question (AGF as that other board says), however this ...

And of course the forum dictionary wants to tell me terms. Google can do that, get an oscilloscope and tell me why the two frequency modulations cant be manipulated into a transmittable wave? then we will get closer to a real answer. Asic has its job but usually people that have ASIC miner have old gpu rigs...thus the idea of combining equipment and having all necessary componets to send and receive that wave.  Think I may need to find a different forum.

I think I have to agree with your last, but you may still have some fun on here  Grin

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
TmottaDing (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:08:01 PM

Sorry had to but on a real note.

Most miners I am assuming are like me since most of the mining rigs i see pieced together, thus my storage for unused parts such as modems, memory, hard drives...etc is getting quite full. Assuming the pool operators and solo-miners collaborating on using resources they already have. So the idea would be to setup miners on the android system to the pool admin which would in return offer voip for their mining efforts.

J35st3r

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:28:14 PM

Ah, light-bulb moment! Yes, I see your point, that's actually a pretty good idea to use all that unused resource. Not quite sure how it will pan out with the takeover by ASICs (eventually they will all just be net-applicances and plug directly into the network infrastructure). Bon voyage with your idea!

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
Eva Braun

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:09:02 PM

Its a possibility.
TmottaDing (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:21:25 PM

Ah, light-bulb moment! Yes, I see your point, that's actually a pretty good idea to use all that unused resource. Not quite sure how it will pan out with the takeover by ASICs (eventually they will all just be net-applicances and plug directly into the network infrastructure). Bon voyage with your idea!

Definitely my thought as to ASIC taking over, but being an eternal optimist maybe adding the ASIC into other equipment structures could expand the network further.  Imagine a internet refrigerator add a usb port, and a lil firmware mod= block eruptor frig that pays you to keep your food cold. 

J35st3r

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:30:10 PM

Definitely my thought as to ASIC taking over, but being an eternal optimist maybe adding the ASIC into other equipment structures could expand the network further.  Imagine a internet refrigerator add a usb port, and a lil firmware mod= block eruptor frig that pays you to keep your food cold. 

Right, OK. Maybe I'll just stick with my original opinion. You're going to be a live one, laters.  Grin

Kaepora

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:47:52 PM

Whats going on in here  Smiley
ASICS in refrigerators and radio frequencies and VOIP
makineta

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:50:20 PM

thanks
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:21:26 AM

So, what is your plan, exactly? Are you trying to use miners' unused resources to provide VoIP service? Because GPUs aren't at all useful for VoIP applications. All that is required for VoIP is a high-bandwidth, low-latency network connection, something which Bitcoin doesn't require and can't be spared by miners. Or are you trying to organise a mining pool which pays miners in VoIP services instead of (or in addition to) bitcoins?

In any case, neither of those actually involves the use of the Bitcoin blockchain or ASIC miners in any way, which is obviously a ridiculous idea and I'm not really sure why you even asked that in the first place. Huh

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: