Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:56:53 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Change the name.. does it always have to be wallet.dat in the appdata folder??  (Read 574 times)
TheDirtybird (OP)

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

http://canadianbit.com/ - Let's Mine Canadian!

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 07:57:16 PM

Why don't some of you new developers of coins change the location and name of the wallet file (wallet.dat).. i mean really, with all these coins all of them have the same friggin name.  WHY?  How about naming the file like ex. "newcoinwallet.dat" then we would already know what coin the wallet is for.. honestly this is a simple and needed fix.  I can't believe no one has done this yet.. and if so .. i have not seen it.

Discuss...
MashRinx

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:05:41 PM

Why don't some of you new developers of coins change the location and name of the wallet file (wallet.dat).. i mean really, with all these coins all of them have the same friggin name.  WHY?  How about naming the file like ex. "newcoinwallet.dat" then we would already know what coin the wallet is for.. honestly this is a simple and needed fix.  I can't believe no one has done this yet.. and if so .. i have not seen it.

Discuss...

Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure I understand why it would be considered a 'needed' fix though?
TheDirtybird (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:08:05 PM

All your wallets have the same name for each and every coin and you don't see a potential problem?  Maybe it's just me.. but that just doesn't make sense.  I mean they are in appropriately named folder.. but is that really enough to make it easy to store.. not really.. well it may not be a needed fix.. but I would like it.  Maybe it's just me.  Hence discuss.
TheSpiral

Activity: 322
Merit: 113

Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:20:59 PM

You can change the location of the wallet.dat yourself by launching the client with "-datadir=[location]"
example: litecoin-qt.exe -datadir=.
^ Would put the wallet.dat in the current folder.
TheDirtybird (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:22:58 PM

ok, nice to know..thanks for that TheSpiral Smiley
MashRinx

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:34:31 PM

Backing them up, I did have to create a separate folder for each coin to separate the dat files as opposed to just being able to drop them in one folder, so you do have a point.  I would imagine that changing that filed name would be a relatively easy find & replace in the code too.
MashRinx

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:35:37 PM

Especially helpful if you have the Bitcoin blockchain on your machine and don't want to use up the space on an SSD that is your system drive too.
TheDirtybird (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 08:42:23 PM

Too bad there wasn't a flag you could do like "-walletname=whateveriwant.dat" Just throwing out ideas.. ya I also had to create separate folders for each of my coin backups.. kinda a pain but not life threatening by any means.. just thinking about innovation and the clustermess of having 100 wallet.dat files on my pc.(future?)...
MashRinx

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 08:57:51 PM

I like it.  Don't know that it would get any traction with bitcoin itself since it's the daddy coin (but still would be nice to be able to chose to set bitcoin.dat if I wanted to), but maybe some of the alts will pick this up.
Killiz

Activity: 750
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:34:03 PM

When backing up your wallet.dat to usb or whatever, I just rename it to whatever coin it is for, eg: Bitcoin.dat, litecoin.dat, shitcoin.dat etc, then if I ever need to use it I know which it is, and then simply rename it back to wallet.dat
TheDirtybird (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2013, 10:45:47 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2013, 11:11:19 PM by TheDirtybird

Yep that works too with a little renaming....I am sure many have a few ways to do so... might be good to list your other backup methods here as well... I like where this conversation is headed (being helpful) Smiley  on another note.. a few more coins released today all with wallet.dat as the name of the wallet.  Without even the slightest innovation in any of them other than changing a few settings (some don't even take the time to change icons or file names).. so many copycats...lol.. how long till we reach 100 coins??
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: