Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:55:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2017-10-18] Bitfinex to Terminate Services for US. Retail Customers by November  (Read 281 times)
Remember remember the 5th of November (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 12:16:39 PM

Bitfinex will be terminating “trading, deposits and withdrawal functionality for all U.S. customers”, which will come into effect “no later than November 9, 2017.” The announcement urges all U.S.-based customers to withdraw their cryptocurrency tokens before the deadline.

https://news.bitcoin.com/bitfinex-to-terminate-services-to-us-retail-customers-by-november-9/

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 01:59:24 PM

It perfectly shows that this is nothing more than an attempt to buy time before they eventually pull off another 'hack' hoax. For years Bitfinex has been unwilling to license itself properly, and in order to lower their overall governmental risk exposure, excluding US customers is a necessary step that has to be taken. I however don't believe that this will help to shake off the US authorities. Bitfinex has been offering its services to US customers for years, and that alone is reason enough for the authorities to look into their 'administration'.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 09:23:40 PM

It perfectly shows that this is nothing more than an attempt to buy time before they eventually pull off another 'hack' hoax.

That's pretty much an event that (unfortunately) is guaranteed to happen at some point. It was insanely easy how they managed to regain people's trust in quite a short time, and looking at that fact, I too believe that Bitfinex is going to scam their traders once again. One thing however is sure, the US citizens they try to get rid of right now, will be saved from a second nonsensical "hack" that results in the loss of tens (or hundreds) of millions worth of crypto funds. Instead of looking at this from a negative point of view, this should be seen as great news.
Kompodd

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 09:05:53 AM

It perfectly shows that this is nothing more than an attempt to buy time before they eventually pull off another 'hack' hoax.

That's pretty much an event that (unfortunately) is guaranteed to happen at some point. It was insanely easy how they managed to regain people's trust in quite a short time, and looking at that fact, I too believe that Bitfinex is going to scam their traders once again. One thing however is sure, the US citizens they try to get rid of right now, will be saved from a second nonsensical "hack" that results in the loss of tens (or hundreds) of millions worth of crypto funds. Instead of looking at this from a negative point of view, this should be seen as great news.

I do not understand why this is all connected? Maybe this is another attempt to manipulate the price of bitcoin? I just hope that the exchanges will leave open access for all citizens of the world

Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 09:33:57 AM
Last edit: October 26, 2017, 08:48:27 AM by Samarkand

It perfectly shows that this is nothing more than an attempt to buy time before they eventually pull off another 'hack' hoax. For years Bitfinex has been unwilling to license itself properly, and in order to lower their overall governmental risk exposure, excluding US customers is a necessary step that has to be taken. I however don't believe that this will help to shake off the US authorities. Bitfinex has been offering its services to US customers for years, and that alone is reason enough for the authorities to look into their 'administration'.

I think this is pure conjecture. Most people involved in Bitfinex are known (e.g. Potter, Hoegner) and would have to look
over their shoulder for the rest of their lifes if they would actually pull off a "hack hoax".

They have one of the best trading platforms and are making a killing in trading fees. Additionally, I suspect
they trade on their own exchange as well and quite possibly profit from buying up sketchy altcoins
before listing them for trading. Just take a look at some of the recently added trading pairs and you will
see that they started listing some obscure shitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: