Bitcoin Forum
August 08, 2024, 11:23:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with mis-recorded password  (Read 305 times)
romec1701 (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 02:10:41 PM

I am posting this here in the hope that someone can help me.
I encrypted my wallet with a password and wrote it down.
However, it does not work which leads me to believe that I mis-typed something (the same way) twice when setting it up (couldnt see exactly what I was typing as it was dotted out)
Anyways. I have a good idea what it is - possibly an issue with holding shift down and making a mistake. What I think it is is 14 characters long.

Is there a command for unlocking the wallet in the console so I can copy and paste attempts in quick succession and try to brute force it?

The last caveat is that this is a BitCore wallet. Whilst it seems to share much of its code in common with bitcoin core it is not it. I appreciate that this is technically in the wrong place but I thought there may be more experience here...

Running windows

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 05:59:45 PM

First: I would recommend you always keep your wallet.dat for yourself. Don't give it to a untrusted, or dont even give it to a trusted member if the value on the wallet is high enough.
You could write a small script (e.g. python) to generate passwords with small mistake from the password you wrote down.
Then you could just go and let a script test all those combination until it works.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 06:04:16 PM

I am posting this here in the hope that someone can help me.
I encrypted my wallet with a password and wrote it down.
However, it does not work which leads me to believe that I mis-typed something (the same way) twice when setting it up (couldnt see exactly what I was typing as it was dotted out)
Anyways. I have a good idea what it is - possibly an issue with holding shift down and making a mistake. What I think it is is 14 characters long.

Is there a command for unlocking the wallet in the console so I can copy and paste attempts in quick succession and try to brute force it?

The last caveat is that this is a BitCore wallet. Whilst it seems to share much of its code in common with bitcoin core it is not it. I appreciate that this is technically in the wrong place but I thought there may be more experience here...

Running windows

I'm not sure if you can do it directly without another command being preformed.

However, i'd suggest you look at the "dumpprivkey" command. You can use that on an address that preferably has nothing on it and if it is successful it will print the private key (which I think should begin with either a 5, an L or a K depending on the version). As there's an encryptwallet function, you might be able to get a decrypt wallet one also.

I'd suggest trying the password with CAPS LOCK ON. Just to eliminate if it's that as that'll save so much time.

(did you definitely count 14 characters also when generating the password or could you have slipped and added an extra letter while typing)?
romec1701 (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 08:13:40 PM

I used the walletpassphrase command in the console to cut and paste various variations of what I thought it was (with shift pressed and with missing letters) and I found it!
Unlocked and relocked with what it should have been. Thanks all for your responses.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: