Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:14:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Escrow Requirements & Initial Coin Offerings  (Read 207 times)
secattorney (OP)

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 03:57:17 PM

I get this question often, so I figured I would post.

IF your ICO token is a true "security" under the Securities Act/Howey, generally speaking, a segregated account/escrow is required for investor funds under Reg D where the offering is made "all or none" or "part or none". Alternatively, if the offering is made on a "best efforts" basis, no segregated account/escrow is required

However, if your ICO token is of a utility/license nature and decidedly not a "security", then the requirements of Reg D would logically not apply. Thus, arguably, no segregated account/escrow requirements

But, dicta in Howey and other cases suggest that funds acquired for purposes of developing a minimally viable product are likely sold as securities (the thought being that utility tokens sold to develop the platform upon which they will be used may be deemed securities)

Also, one should consider the liability issues related to raising less than sufficient capital to reach minimum viability.

I discuss in some detail here: https://youtu.be/SsBPg1C1lEY

As always, I welcome thoughts/comments. Cheeers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: