Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:50:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins electricity required AMAZING!!!  (Read 338 times)
ledu_ico (OP)

Activity: 1250
Merit: 100

Education-Ecosystem

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2017, 11:18:22 PM

Just read an article that Bitcoin transactions use so much energy that the electricity used for a single trade could power a home for almost a whole month. Not only does Bitcoin use a vast amount of electricity to complete transactions, it uses an almost exponentially larger amount than more traditional forms of electronic payment.

Can someone confirm this? It just is AMAZING info for me... i can't believe it, while stats show the contrary.

This number needs some context. 200kWh is enough to run over 200 washing cycles. In fact, it's enough to run my entire home over four weeks, which consumes about 45 kWh per week costing €39 of electricity

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 12:21:35 AM

Come back after you have figured out how much electricity all the banks in the world use, and how much we would save by replacing them with Bitcoin.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Mandoy

Activity: 644
Merit: 264

Aurox

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 12:26:40 AM

Just read an article that Bitcoin transactions use so much energy that the electricity used for a single trade could power a home for almost a whole month. Not only does Bitcoin use a vast amount of electricity to complete transactions, it uses an almost exponentially larger amount than more traditional forms of electronic payment.

Can someone confirm this? It just is AMAZING info for me... i can't believe it, while stats show the contrary.

This number needs some context. 200kWh is enough to run over 200 washing cycles. In fact, it's enough to run my entire home over four weeks, which consumes about 45 kWh per week costing €39 of electricity

If you are looking for something valuable of course the price is high. If for example you will mine diamonds or gold you will need to avail of multi-millions of equipments plus thousands of kilowatts to run the operation. But the end product is  a very valuable item, a precious jewel that is very expensive. It is the same with bitcoin the more bitcoin becomes valuable the more difficult it is to mine since the competition of hashpower increases.

Aurox.

Designed to make
you money
|Proprietary Indicators
& Signals
|||                  ▄██▄▄▄▄▄
                ▄████████▀█▄▀
            ▄▄██████████▀
           ██████████▀██
          ███████████▄▄ ▄▄
         ██████████████ ▀▀█▄
     ▄▄████████████▀▄█▀   ▀▀
▄▀▀ ███████████▀▀▀ ██▀
▀▄▄▀ ██████▀ ▄▄
      ████▀ ██▀
     ███▀  █▀
     ▄█▌  ▐█▌
     ▀██   ▀▀
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████   ████

Get Started. FREE!
██   ████   ██████   ████████   ██████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
ALT67890

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 12:39:42 AM

Bitcoin transaction and searching in internet has servers that needs huge power supply to operate and that includes banking transaction as well. So what ever your point is not shocking for others. Because we already knows that.

Come back after you have figured out how much electricity all the banks in the world use, and how much we would save by replacing them with Bitcoin.

That is totally right, it won’t be good when looking for just one side of the story. Maybe to ask about banking transaction is the correct way on answering such questioning.
wilwxk

Activity: 476
Merit: 314

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 01:00:58 AM

I agrre with you. The electricity its very "wasted" in the miners farms, there will have peoples wich says to see the electricity usage of banks, but look: the asiics used to mine bitcoins only makes a lot of calcules to find a hash with X zeros in the front, imagine where this energy power could be used in other areas like AI or supercomputers. This zeros can be performed.
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 08:59:00 PM

I can not confirm what you have read, but I know that mining require a lot of electricity. Some of that power goes to transactions as far as i know. But from what I have read here in your topic, those numbers are insane, and I don't believe that. I think that is only bad propaganda to lower support toward bitcoin. But because I can not confirm with solid evidence, that leaves it to only my opinion. But still 200kWh for one transaction... its too much.
G2z_Riya

Activity: 217
Merit: 14

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 09:04:26 PM

I'm not sure about the reality, but I too came across such information. Right now electricity is becoming a major threat for the growth of bitcoin, because the mining process is completely dependent on the electricity. If something goes wrong the entire system will collapse.
Kiiti1

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 09:06:30 PM

Its really expensive
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: