Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:45:09 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Segwit2X - (Gold Fork) Date  (Read 4946 times)
WilsonTheBall (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 02:02:25 AM

Hey everyone, sorry but I can't find this answer anywhere?  Huh

When is the Segwit2x Gold Fork going to happen?
Is there a date set? I heard it was November but its approaching and you'd think we would hear an exact date by now or something.. anyone have an idea?

The fork was supposed to happen at block number 494,784 .. currently as of this post we are at block 490,548.
If my calculations are correct, 10 minutes per block * 4236 more blocks to go.. 42360minutes = 706hours = 29.41666 days from now..

So the Gold Fork should hit Thursday, November 17, 2017? @ 12 PM UTC
Can anyone verify?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 03:33:01 AM

Segwit2x and Bitcoin Gold are two completely different things.

Both are hard forks and they are set to activate by block height. Because they are activating by block height, predicting the actual time of activation is somewhat difficult. There is no pre-announced date of fork because that date is not concrete.

Bitcoin Gold will fork at block 491407.

Segwit2x will fork at block 494784.

healix21

Activity: 147
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 04:09:56 AM

i heard Bitcoin Gold will start at October 25.

MeshCollider

Activity: 78
Merit: 12

Bitcoin Core wallet maintainer

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 06:08:08 AM

i heard Bitcoin Gold will start at October 25.

Yep that's a good estimate give or take a day. And S2X would be roughly November 17th (utc) if the block rate stays around 10 minutes average

github.com/meshcollider || PGP:
CA03 882C B1FC 067B 5D3A CFE4 D300 116E 1C87 5A3D
suzanne5223

Activity: 2660
Merit: 651

Want top-notch marketing for your project, Hire me

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 07:43:34 AM

Your calculation was correct but it the  SegWit2x fork that will take place at. block 494,784 while BTG user-activated hard fork will take place at block 491407 on October 25 and the full network launch is scheduled for November 1.

7Kirito0

Activity: 15

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 08:52:33 PM

GOLD > October 25
2X > mid november, i think 17th is a good date too
skripsup

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 08:39:56 AM

And what do you think, guys? What's your prediction about the bitcoin price on the periods of hardfork(will it rise or fall)?
As I understand I need to hold bitcoins now to gain free BTCG and 2X, am I right?
0c3an0nl1n3

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 05:50:08 PM

Guys does anyone know, should I keep my BTC on a legacy address or the new segwit address for the upcoming forks BGold and B2X?
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 06:04:07 PM

Guys does anyone know, should I keep my BTC on a legacy address or the new segwit address for the upcoming forks BGold and B2X?

When a fork happens and the fork supports segwit, then having your coins on segwit addresses is fine, you will receive coins on the other new chain.

Don't forget that the fork MUST support segwit. If for example, Bitcoin Cash happened after segwit activation and you had your coins in segwit addresses, you would have not received your BCash.

This is why I recommend leaving long term storage coins in legacy addresses, just in case someone forks again in a non-segwit Bitcoin that gets traction for some reason.
Kryptowerk
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1402

Disobey.

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 10:47:50 PM

When a fork happens and the fork supports segwit, then having your coins on segwit addresses is fine, you will receive coins on the other new chain.

Don't forget that the fork MUST support segwit. If for example, Bitcoin Cash happened after segwit activation and you had your coins in segwit addresses, you would have not received your BCash.

This is why I recommend leaving long term storage coins in legacy addresses, just in case someone forks again in a non-segwit Bitcoin that gets traction for some reason.

Interesting information. Thanks. So legacy addresses should give coins for forks supporting segwit, but not the other way round, right?

Get educated about Bitcoin. Check out Andreas Antonopoulos on Youtube. An old but gold talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc744Z9IjhY

UPDATE 2024: Daniel Schmachtenberger on The Meta-Crisis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSx8j8lSewA One of the most important talks about the current state of this planet and human society in general. Go check it out.
lodyman

Activity: 184
Merit: 101

if you need help , drop me a pm

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 10:55:34 PM

i was planning to cold store all my btc in another "new" wallet today.., will i get btcg and x2

fer3219

Activity: 191
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 11:38:31 PM

i'm saving some btc  (not much) and waiting for the forks , hope to get  some bucks :V
xFiber

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 07:38:37 AM

I've seen a lot of people think that there is only one fork coming up. While in reality there are 2. The bitcoin gold fork and the segwit 2x attack. Bitcoin gold is going to be an altcoin and is not trying to be bitcoin. 2x on the other hand is supposed to be an 'upgrade' while in reality it contains code that would ultimately make bitcoin more centralized than it was before.
Adwin

Activity: 24

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 11:41:59 AM

I've seen a lot of people think that there is only one fork coming up. While in reality there are 2. The bitcoin gold fork and the segwit 2x attack. Bitcoin gold is going to be an altcoin and is not trying to be bitcoin. 2x on the other hand is supposed to be an 'upgrade' while in reality it contains code that would ultimately make bitcoin more centralized than it was before.
Yeap, I think so.
Virtual miner

Activity: 728
Merit: 275

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:00:35 PM

Hey everyone, sorry but I can't find this answer anywhere?  Huh

When is the Segwit2x Gold Fork going to happen?
Is there a date set? I heard it was November but its approaching and you'd think we would hear an exact date by now or something.. anyone have an idea?

The fork was supposed to happen at block number 494,784 .. currently as of this post we are at block 490,548.
If my calculations are correct, 10 minutes per block * 4236 more blocks to go.. 42360minutes = 706hours = 29.41666 days from now..

So the Gold Fork should hit Thursday, November 17, 2017? @ 12 PM UTC
Can anyone verify?
You are confused brother. Gold fork is going to be on 25th Oct while the segwit2x will happen on the date that you have specified. Both of these forks are being done for different motives and have different future potentials.
nokati

Activity: 312
Merit: 111

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 08:16:27 AM

Well I am one of these people Smiley

So there is a bitcoin gold wich is just an altcoin.... what do they offer more than current bitcoin?
And there is a segwit2x that still need to be activate and is a hard fork upgrade of current btc.

Why makes segwit2x the bitcoin more centralized? what is exactly the problem that the community is so divided about this? I dont need another 1000 pages propaganda but just a simple honest answer what is the pro and coins.

squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 08:29:31 AM

Well I am one of these people Smiley

So there is a bitcoin gold wich is just an altcoin.... what do they offer more than current bitcoin?

Nothing, really. They will switch the POW algorithm from SHA256 to Equihash, which is memory-hard and incompatible with ASICs. So, the hope is that GPU miners will return to Bitcoin. It seems like a long shot to me because there are much more innovative altcoins already; this seems like little more than a gimmick. But the hype might provide some opportunity to get some bitcoins just by holding BTC.

And there is a segwit2x that still need to be activate and is a hard fork upgrade of current btc.

Why makes segwit2x the bitcoin more centralized? what is exactly the problem that the community is so divided about this? I dont need another 1000 pages propaganda but just a simple honest answer what is the pro and coins.

Technically Segwit2x is also an altcoin like Bitcoin Gold. But it won't have replay protection, so it could be much more dangerous. People spending BTC might lose B2x and people spending B2X might lose BTC. And SPV wallets will just follow the chain with more difficulty. It could be chaotic. I'd avoid transaction around the fork date (mid-November).

Segwit already increased the block size limit by 4x. No need to make it 8x three months later, with no widespread support among users. No matter what, that timeline is dangerous regarding the risk of a split network.

nokati

Activity: 312
Merit: 111

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 08:45:31 AM

so (segwit 1x) ? has already been activated without an hardfork? so the bitcoin chain can already handle more transactions for now? Even if segwit2x will be ignored, the segwit1x will not be disabled? and segwit1x is the one that org dev team is supporting and is working right now?

MeshCollider

Activity: 78
Merit: 12

Bitcoin Core wallet maintainer

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 09:40:32 AM

so (segwit 1x) ? has already been activated without an hardfork? so the bitcoin chain can already handle more transactions for now? Even if segwit2x will be ignored, the segwit1x will not be disabled? and segwit1x is the one that org dev team is supporting and is working right now?

Segwit1x is just bitcoin, segwit activated through a softfork a while ago. So yes, that is 'the one' which bitcoin core developers support

github.com/meshcollider || PGP:
CA03 882C B1FC 067B 5D3A CFE4 D300 116E 1C87 5A3D
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 11:37:32 AM

Yeah, Segwit activation was the big drama in July, with BIP148 threatening a chain split if Segwit didn't lock in. Nothing can "disable" the original (1x) blockchain unless the miners 51% attack it to prevent any transactions from being confirmed.

However, if most of the hash power leaves, it can take a very long time to readjust difficulty -- block time and confirmation time can be very long, and fees could be high. Not disabled, but there would be a lot of upset users, some of whom might be clamoring for a POW or difficulty algorithm change.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print