Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:57:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Impact on GFX manufacturers?  (Read 3273 times)
triox (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 06:56:33 PM

Not sure if it's the right board or if it's been already discussed, apologies if so, but:

with all the talk about top ATI cards being sold out throughout the western world, do you guys think that the card manufacturers actually take notice of bitcoin phenomenon, or is it not even a blip on ATI's and NVidia's radar?
How about manufacturers, like MSI, Saphire and others?
Do you think they are working on custom chips?
Do they realize that they have a interest on helping to keep BTC alive?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 07:16:14 PM

They won't, retail GPU is about 10% of their revenue (90% is from OEM, majority of people buy their PC from big brand PC makers like HP/Dell).

Out of the 10% retail GPU, maybe 20-30% is bought by bitcoin miners.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 08:31:58 PM

They might notice an increase in the high end products since a bigger portion of them are sold retail rather than to OEMs, however the high end market is a drop in a bucket compared to overall GPU sales when it comes to number of cards sold.
Raulo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 09:10:48 PM

however the high end market is a drop in a bucket compared to overall GPU sales when it comes to number of cards sold.

On the other hand, high-end market has much higher profit margin and Bitcoin-related sales will be a bit more than a drop in the bucket profit-wise.

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
fascistmuffin

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 09:25:52 PM

They probably don't want to have any association with bitcoin, especially with the way the news is spinning the BTC stories. It's probably not in their interests at all since the average computer OEM consumer doesn't know much about bitcoin other than what major news tells them (drug trading, money laundering).
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 10:57:27 PM

They won't, retail GPU is about 10% of their revenue (90% is from OEM, majority of people buy their PC from big brand PC makers like HP/Dell).

Precisely. The vast majority of all sold AMD/Nvidia graphics cards are low to midrange cards for OEM computers, such as Radeon 5450, GT 420, Radeon 5750, GTX 460 etc.

They are also used as dumping pits for excess VRAM chips, so you may see an absurd amount like 2GB of memory on a GT420 for OEM use. It's a very profitable business.

Consider that these 2 companies sell tens of millions of graphics cards per year. Bitcoin users buy maybe 20,000-30k GPU's top
(which is still optimistic, seeing as most people use their pre-bought rigs, and some still mine on CPU's, few people actually build farms).

Ok, miners tend to buy high end cards which is a plus for their bottom line.
But it's still a drop in the ocean for them to care. Gamers and Eyefinity users still buy the majority of those.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
triox (OP)

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 07:02:07 AM

What about smaller brand manufacturers, like XFX, Gigabyte, HIS and others? Surely it must be somewhat bigger of a deal for them?
And by supporting BTC I don't mean necessarily any kind of an official campaign, maybe a slow and quiet reinvestment into the BTC market, to help keep the price growing and mining profitable.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:02:22 AM

Roll Eyes

There are like 30000 GPUs mining now, i think it's more like 0.5% of retail GPU...

Synaesthesia

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:37:31 PM

Remember that the GPU market is hugely skewed towards the budget side of things. The biggest manufacturer of GPU's is by far Intel! The 30000 GPU's you mention would likely be higher-end units which sell but a fraction of the volume.. Even taking that into account though - I don't think Bitcoin doesn't have an effect on the GPU market as a whole, nor on the development of GPU's for computation IMO. It's just too small.

It's clearly had an effect on the market pricing & availability of ATi 5xxx and 6xxx series cards though.
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:18:34 PM

Remember that the GPU market is hugely skewed towards the budget side of things. The biggest manufacturer of GPU's is by far Intel! The 30000 GPU's you mention would likely be higher-end units which sell but a fraction of the volume.. Even taking that into account though - I don't think Bitcoin doesn't have an effect on the GPU market as a whole, nor on the development of GPU's for computation IMO. It's just too small.

It's clearly had an effect on the market pricing & availability of ATi 5xxx and 6xxx series cards though.

Wrongola. This thread has been discussed multiple times before so I'm just going to bulletpoint without providing sources this time

6xxx series cards pricing and availability is unchanged since the boom of bitcoin. Even the fabled (and terrible $/hash) 6990.

5xxx series cards pricing actually came down around bitcoin boom time (sapphire 5850/5830 extreme were cheaper than any 58xx before). Availability I suppose decreased. The biggest factor for both though is that they're last generation gpus, no longer in production. Manufacturers were dumping their last stock. I suppose you could say it affected the used market though, that'd be fair.

The 58xx series are not really budget cards, nor were they ever. Yet AMD sold 16+million of them in the first 9 months after release. So... once again, bitcoin means nothing to either AMD or xfx/sapphire/etc. They're not going to make special orders for you, or restart fabbing for the 30,000 bitcoiners.
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 06:42:47 PM

Are there 5870 GPU chips in manufacturer stocks still? I suppose not. Otherwise, I would bet that Sapphire or Gigabyte could sell them very easily ..

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:51:39 PM

Are there 5870 GPU chips in manufacturer stocks still? I suppose not. Otherwise, I would bet that Sapphire or Gigabyte could sell them very easily ..

AMD is the only GPU manufacturer and they are not producing/stockpiling them.

As for the pcb makers, well, it's unknown what they have, but very unlikely that they are sitting on a big pile of last generation chips, as they have all the designs and components and can easily whip out another batch if they saw a demand for it.
V2-V3

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:30:52 AM

I work with large GFX card manufacturers very closely and they have not noticed any increase in sales due to mining, mainly because the rush is for used cards and older end of life generations.
What is bought of the current generation cards is nothing when compared to the gaming market.
dinker

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 07:33:34 PM

There will be a New RaBeon 7000B series.
It will come with 4 GPU on a single card + 128MB memory.

Also it works in either X1 X4 X16 slots

Help Me Help You Donations:
14kP6tNtrz3woESs9nEE5aDB81QTybGyyZ
PandaMiner

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 12:17:44 PM

do they even make a high end card with an 1x "foot" ?

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 03:23:21 PM

do they even make a high end card with an 1x "foot" ?

They don't make "any" graphics card with a 1x connector. All PCI-e graphics cards have a x16 connector.

There is a way to use them on x4, x8 and x1 lanes though; By using adapters.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
fitty

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 04:24:43 PM

Not sure if it's the right board or if it's been already discussed, apologies if so, but:

with all the talk about top ATI cards being sold out throughout the western world, do you guys think that the card manufacturers actually take notice of bitcoin phenomenon, or is it not even a blip on ATI's and NVidia's radar?
How about manufacturers, like MSI, Saphire and others?
Do you think they are working on custom chips?

They've noticed there is no question.

It's not just the raw sales. As other people mentioned, it might be 1-3% boost. Just looking at some of the top online retailers, it's extremely hard to get quite a few of the ati models and nvidia from what I've seen doesn't have any stock issues. It might be 1-3% so it's not a game changer.

But the bigger boost is people seeing ATI as badass and nvidia as "slow as hell". If you google around there's lots of people recommending ATI and tell people not to get nvidia. It might be or might not be obvious to people researching it's from a bitcoin perspective. There is no question a perception shift between the two brands and I'm sure the ATI folks are quite pleased with it.

Will either company make any changes to help/hurt bitcoin? I doubt it. But the fact 10,000s of people are out there saying ATI is 5-10x faster, oh don't buy an nvidia card does have an effect. It's free advertising and when it's all about speed (gaming) people are probably going to lean more towards ATI next purchase then Nvidia's offering. Very few people even know why ATI is faster, they just know that they are.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Bitonetta

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 04:59:59 PM

Roll Eyes

There are like 30000 GPUs mining now, i think it's more like 0.5% of retail GPU...

Haha, I was about to say the same thing.  I would be surprised if miners purchase even 1% out of that 10% retail total.  At best, miners may even show up as a % of their sales charts but it won't be significant.  It'll be within their margin of error and it's highly doubtful that they'll take notice or change course based on that.
Sannyasi

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 08:32:17 AM

gaming is how i found out about bitcoin.... well- i'm more into modding than playing games but same group

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:56:15 PM

It's not just the raw sales. As other people mentioned, it might be 1-3% boost. Just looking at some of the top online retailers, it's extremely hard to get quite a few of the ati models and nvidia from what I've seen doesn't have any stock issues. It might be 1-3% so it's not a game changer.

If people want the old generation 5xxx cards there is a problem in getting stock (obviously), but in Australia we have no problem getting as many 6950, 6970, and 6990 cards as required.  Is Australia siphoning all the stock headed for the USA?  Huh

Bitcoin is barely a blip on ATI's radar.  They sell far more to the OEM market.  Second is the enthusiast market for gaming.  Then comes the Stream (and CUDA for nVidia) market for scientific computing.  Bitcoin brings up the rear.  The current hash rate is equivalent to 36,000 non overclocked 6950 cards.  I'm sure ATI ships millions of GPUs per year.  A few tens of thousands isn't worth worrying about, especially for something like Bitcoin where users may lose interest.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: