Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 09:23:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt. Gox account ever been hacked? If so, were you able to resolve it?  (Read 508 times)
coinfloss (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:59:50 AM

My account was hacked recently and emptied of about 12BTC. Being told to file a police report is as far as I've gotten with Mt. Gox. Pretty laughable support.

Has anyone ever successfully resolved a case like mine with them? Ever filed a police report?

I'm going to file one just to see what happens. I think I have a 4% chance of getting any BTC back from them, at the very best.

If you're interested in what happens, let me know and I'll keep you posted.

wightdeath

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 08:18:50 AM

Will the police do anything about it?
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4410
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 09:44:12 AM

Of course they will. I guarantee that if you go to the police and tell them you've had a large amount of money stolen from you, they will, in fact, do something. They have identity theft and fraud departments specifically trained to handle these sorts of cases. They won't necessarily be able to get your money back, but they'll sure as Hell try. Why people here seem to think the cops won't do anything is anyone's guess.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
coinfloss (OP)

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:23:55 PM

Of course they will. I guarantee that if you go to the police and tell them you've had a large amount of money stolen from you, they will, in fact, do something. They have identity theft and fraud departments specifically trained to handle these sorts of cases. They won't necessarily be able to get your money back, but they'll sure as Hell try. Why people here seem to think the cops won't do anything is anyone's guess.

I called the San Francisco police department to discuss reporting a case. The officer to whom I spoke was polite and admitted knowing nothing about bitcoin. He mentioned that the SFPD does not have a cyber crimes division and that it would be highly unlikely that any sort of investigation would actually take place, which was not a surprise.

He did say that if I wrote a summary of what happened and provided documentation, it would be added to the police report, and that about a week after filing I would be able to get a copy of it to submit to Mt. Gox.

My next step will be to write up a summary of the events and go to a police station to file a report.

JSMill

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:03:09 AM

Where do you live?
Jgguy

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:14:41 AM

Unfortunately you are probably out of luck.  That is the response mtgox always seems to give everyone when their account is hacked and emptied.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: