Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:45:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ordering from Bitmain, and value declaration. What's your experience?  (Read 580 times)
blickbox (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:46:26 AM

It says on their website that they will declare the actual invoice value when shipping. Is that something they just write, or is that something they actually do, without any exceptions?

Anyone have any luck getting their miners with a lower invoice value declared?

Import taxes and fees would add about 30% on the price for me, so it's a dealbreaker for me... :-/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 12:34:01 PM

Folks, are you a criminal at heart?
That would be the only reason to ask a company to show a lower invoice price so you can avoid paying taxes/duty. Pay the damn taxes/duty. Mining is a business. Register as one and import taxes/duty becomes a write off.

NO company will do that because if caught they face heavy fines and/or are banned from importing to that country.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sluppy
Legendary

Activity: 2020
Merit: 1041

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 12:55:52 PM

Folks, are you a criminal at heart?
That would be the only reason to ask a company to show a lower invoice price so you can avoid paying taxes/duty. Pay the damn taxes/duty. Mining is a business. Register as one and import taxes/duty becomes a write off.

NO company will do that because if caught they face heavy fines and/or are banned from importing to that country.

Bikal miners does that and eastshore also does something similar but if u get caught u lose big time , NOT worth it imo.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke -- May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.George Carlin
We pay for life with death , so everything in between should be free. Bill Hicks -- It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light. Aristotle
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. Buddha -- The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates
blickbox (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 01:42:44 PM

1. I am aware of the legality issue, it was just a question.
2. Most chinese companies selling to consumer do that yes, even without you asking them.
3. Registering as a company makes no difference since I won't have any taxable sales I can write it off against.

I wouldn't have a problem if the hardware was a safe long lasting product, with a definitive value, but who knows what the value of the purchase is. It's like paying VAT for the possible winning price of a lottery ticket, instead of the price of the ticket itself. But again, this is off topic. My question is what people's experience is.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 02:19:15 PM

3. Registering as a company makes no difference since I won't have any taxable sales I can write it off against.
Sales, no.
However since you are mining for profit - and business profits are taxed - that is where write offs come in. In the US at least, the miners are Capital Equipment required for the business. In fact the IRS views them the same as any other computer or data server so they are write offs along with any import duties.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
blickbox (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 10:16:58 AM

Sales, no.
However since you are mining for profit - and business profits are taxed - that is where write offs come in. In the US at least, the miners are Capital Equipment required for the business. In fact the IRS views them the same as any other computer or data server so they are write offs along with any import duties.

I think you're mixing VAT with normal income/profit taxes (I was probably not clear). When importing I have to pay 25% VAT + some small taxes. VAT is not possible to write off unless I have sales with VAT added. E.g, I have to pay $1000 import VAT for two miners. To write it off, I need to have sales to consumers for e.g. 4000 + 25% VAT ($1000).

If it was just normal income tax, I could write it off against the profit tax I have to pay.
MLX

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 08:09:35 PM

It probably really depends on the jurisdiction.

In EU, you can write off VAT, even without subsequent sales. It just takes longer to retrieve VAT that way.
Depends on the period of VAT summary, you are registered for. It can be month or quarter or else(jurisdiction). Without sales it will take at least 2 of these periods for you to make legit claim for the VAT.
Lets say, you pay VAT monthly, no sales of mined coins or another goods.

1. Month = miners delivered=VAT paid to your customs or your customs agent. Monthly VAT summary, Government owe you VAT paid.

2. Month = government is expecting you to make sales, so they are not obliged to pay you back yet. They are waiting, holding bucks, as with eventual sales, you would just write the VAT off.
No sales=government still owns you VAT. At the end of the month, you make the VAT summary, and if according to results they still owe you VAT money, they are obliged to pay them sometime in the next month.

3. Month - You should get your money back(when during the month=jurisdiction). You may get them this month, or maybe the next month. It is still the government we talk about. They can do whatever they want. Germany/Netherlands should be smooth. Southern Europe states, God help you retrieving your VAT, if ever.
MLX

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 08:22:04 PM

Oh, and just don't fiddle with the invoices. Not worth it. Not even if you buy 100's of them.

With VAT claims, without sales, you will most certainly attract the sight of Tax bureau(regular/suspicious claims). They love it. Your accounting should be sound then.
If you can, claim it at customs as specialized computer/security device, not as a bitcoin miner. It will again attract unwanted attention. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: