Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:51:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the purpose of mini/usb miners?  (Read 442 times)
blickbox (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 12:06:18 PM

I don't understand the purpose of these mini-miners (USB dongles etc). The metals on the circuit boards are probably worth more than it's possible to mine, so profit is obviously not the purpose? What am I missing? Are people really putting these to work for $1 a year, and losses in electricity?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wavelengthsf

Activity: 658
Merit: 118

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 12:11:27 PM

They're fun to learn about mining and ASICs without investing a ton in hardware.

They also work great as a solo lottery, or to mine altcoins.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2017, 12:12:14 PM

I don't understand the purpose of these mini-miners (USB dongles etc). The metals on the circuit boards are probably worth more than it's possible to mine, so profit is obviously not the purpose? What am I missing? Are people really putting these to work for $1 a year, and losses in electricity?

There are several purposes for such a mining device:
  • Some of these usbminers were once profitable (albeit, this is no longer the case)
  • They make great learning tools
  • They can be used for testing, for example when you're developing new pool software
  • They can be used as lotto mining devices (altough the odds of hitting a block are really low)
  • They can be used to insta-mine a new altcoin
  • They can be used as a conversation starter, for example: if one of your friends sees a comaq's flashing light and asks what that's for, you can start a conversation about bitcoin
  • They do quite well on some testnets, not bitcoin's testnet specifically, but other ones

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 01:06:08 PM

They’re fun to run and they’re also nice collectibles. I have a long obsolete Block Erupter I bought from 2013 and I only keep it to remind myself of the old times. They also look pretty nice as display units. Then you have lottery mining too with more recent sticks. Mostly I like them because they aren’t as plug and play as the big miners nowadays and it brings us miners back to the days when huge miners didn’t exist.
blickbox (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 01:28:38 PM

Thanks a lot Smiley It makes sense now Smiley
g0atios

Activity: 36

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 02:33:05 PM

I like to plug mine in and tell my friends I'm hacking the NSA and these are special hardware to break their cipher... or a good paperweight

I try to jump on new altcoins when they come out but I'm always too late Wink

More of a novelty now I guess than anything
monkeydominicorobin

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 08:14:07 AM

It is popular because it is the cheapest. They just don't care about profitability they just want the experience of mining instead of wasting money on cloud mining scams. Besides bitcoin is going to the moon. So who cares if you earn cents worth bitcoin from little miners. Bitcoin is going to the moon or so we think.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: