Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:22:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning about LastPass and other password managers  (Read 1685 times)
djproject (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 07:27:37 PM

If you use a password manager to generate a secure new password, you should copy it into notepad until you've confirmed that the manager has actually saved the password.  I can hardly believe LastPass is so badly designed, it can sometimes forget the passwords it generates, leaving you locked out of your own accounts.  Unbelievable.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 07:31:33 PM

Never had a problem with it yet

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
fadisaaida

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 07:51:11 PM

i have been using lastpass for like a year and never had a problem, once it generate the password and u try to log in in the site u just chose the save, if browser crash or something u can check recently used , im not sure what exactly happened in your case but the warning seems a little overreacting to a simplier problem Smiley.

Lisk.
    Develop Decentralized Applications & Sidechains in JavaScript with Lisk!
    Website | Blog | BTT Thread | Chat - Be part of the decentralized application movement!
rmorgan

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 08:08:49 PM

Same here.  I've been using Lastpass for a while now, and have not had a problem like that.  It's VERY well designed.  I'm not sure what happened for you, but it's the best password manager I've used.
nestmate

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 08:25:59 PM

Any opinions on 1Password? It looks Mac-ish. I like that, but is it reliable?
BitQuestr (BitCoinWorldMarket)

Activity: 75

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 10:28:54 PM

I have been using 1Password for over 2 years and with all of this I am very thankful I have. It is very easy to use and I feel like it makes me more productive because of the speed I can login and fill in forms.

+1 for 1Password
BitCoinBarter

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 11:44:26 PM

If you use a password manager to generate a secure new password, you should copy it into notepad until you've confirmed that the manager has actually saved the password.  I can hardly believe LastPass is so badly designed, it can sometimes forget the passwords it generates, leaving you locked out of your own accounts.  Unbelievable.

I use LastPass and have not ran into this problem. LastPass will save generate passwords for you. If you delete it by mistake, then you can also recover it.

I think you can have unlimited recovering for the paid people (i.e.,  the people who pay $12 a year).
For free accounts, then LastPass will give you up to 30 days until it is unrecoverable.

If I'm right (30 days or unlimited), then you should be able to recover (assume you somehow deleted it).
BitQuestr (BitCoinWorldMarket)

Activity: 75

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:35:34 AM

Most of the password generators will save the last generated password. Sometimes it can be tricky to find. I have gotten in the habit of just cntrl-c the password after i generate it in case the webform doesn't automatically take the password.

About 1 website in 100 i find this a problem with.

joelastpass

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:09:59 AM

<bias>I'm from LastPass...

We go through extraordinary measures to ensure that it's impossible to lose a generated password -- we know how frustrating it could be -- I'd encourage you to look for your generated password, it's highly likely that it's available in your vault if you search for the site or in the password generator itself.

1) We won't actually fill the password you accept until it's been saved both locally AND at the server -- this is why there's a delay when you accept the generated password.

2) If you go on and save the site, we remove the saved generated password from your vault. 

3) We save the generated passwords in the generated password tool too -- you can reopen the generated password tool and there's a drop down list of recently created generated passwords.

Bottom line -- nearly every person who has contacted us about lost generated passwords has found that we did actually save them when they looked, and while I won't rule out a bug here, it is unlikely.   Please look in your vault.

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:17:34 AM

I use Password Maker , i can easily remember the settings, there is no need to store anything anywhere

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: