Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:16:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is MimbleWimble?  (Read 408 times)
Lucacrebbe (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 03:26:06 PM

I  was reading about  a  coin  which   wants  to  implement  this  feature  but I don't  know  what it is and  I can't  understand very well  the uses  of case of this ''tecnology'' (I  am not  english native language). Could  someone  explaine this  to me in simple words, please?

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 03:40:02 PM

I  was reading about  a  coin  which   wants  to  implement  this  feature  but I don't  know  what it is and  I can't  understand very well  the uses  of case of this ''tecnology'' (I  am not  english native language). Could  someone  explaine this  to me in simple words, please?

The use case is increased privacy. Apparently is a very clever solution to add increased privacy in bitcoin, the problem is it would run as a sidechain I think, and we are still far from sidechain/drivechains, but we will get there.

Im not sure of how Mimblewimble compares to existing "anonymous coins" like Monero, ZCash, zSNARKs.. and all the other competing anonymous solutions.

In case it was not clear: Mimblewimble is NOT an altcoin, it's an experimental bitcoin feature.
Aureliusy

Activity: 325
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 04:50:07 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/56gbzq/eli5_mimblewimble/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/578lal/mimblewimble_is_insane/
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/mimblewimble-how-a-stripped-down-version-of-bitcoin-could-improve-privacy-fungibility-and-scalability-all-at-once-1471038001/
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 08:35:12 PM

I  was reading about  a  coin  which   wants  to  implement  this  feature  but I don't  know  what it is and  I can't  understand very well  the uses  of case of this ''tecnology'' (I  am not  english native language). Could  someone  explaine this  to me in simple words, please?

The use case is increased privacy. Apparently is a very clever solution to add increased privacy in bitcoin, the problem is it would run as a sidechain I think, and we are still far from sidechain/drivechains, but we will get there.

Im not sure of how Mimblewimble compares to existing "anonymous coins" like Monero, ZCash, zSNARKs.. and all the other competing anonymous solutions.

In case it was not clear: Mimblewimble is NOT an altcoin, it's an experimental bitcoin feature.

50 % alts are Bitcoin with one feature that is possible to do on Bitcoin or you will be able to do in future.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 02:32:34 PM

50 % alts are Bitcoin with one feature that is possible to do on Bitcoin or you will be able to do in future.

More like 99%.

If we estimate that there are around 600 cryptocurrencies right now, you would be hard pressed to find 300 cryptocurrencies that have features whose cannot be replicated in bitcoin one way or another.

Most altcoins are completely useless now or will become useless in the future come sidechains.
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
February 03, 2018, 09:51:25 AM

If anyone want to test fast:

https://github.com/dewdeded/GrinHelper
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: