Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:59:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Instead of an ICO, might this work?  (Read 261 times)
XROD (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 04:38:42 PM

Instead of doing an ICO, (since we have no need for tokens and/or blockchain,) we were thinking of doing something different. 

Vitalik was quoted in a Medium post recently saying that he thinks start-ups should not issue tokens, but should just raise funds using cryptos.

Therefore, our idea is to ask investors to actually purchase our product (hard, tangible product, non-digital,) using a native coin that is not Bitcoin, Ether, Ripple, Litecoin, etc., (the big players.)  Instead we were thinking of a newer coin that hasn't reached mass adoption, but has a good community. (Lisk, Dash, Waves, etc.)  Since it's an outright sale of a product, the SEC and other gov't regulations would not apply. (US investors can participate even if they are not accredited or sophisticated!)

Here's the Key: We as the merchant would require that our product be purchased exclusively with the chosen native coin.

With our existing customer base, we could probably get 250,000- 300,000 users virtually overnight. And they would purchase Every Month!

Our thinking is that:

1. with mainstream adoption, and,
2. consistent user demand for the coin,

... the value of the coin should shoot straight up thru the roof! Do you all think this would work? Would investors want to participate?

(Here is my original post for those that have the patience and don't mind reading a lot. TLDR - too long, did/do not read.)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2286120.0
btcjoin14

Activity: 891
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 10:52:00 PM

Instead of doing an ICO, (since we have no need for tokens and/or blockchain,) we were thinking of doing something different. 

Vitalik was quoted in a Medium post recently saying that he thinks start-ups should not issue tokens, but should just raise funds using cryptos.

Therefore, our idea is to ask investors to actually purchase our product (hard, tangible product, non-digital,) using a native coin that is not Bitcoin, Ether, Ripple, Litecoin, etc., (the big players.)  Instead we were thinking of a newer coin that hasn't reached mass adoption, but has a good community. (Lisk, Dash, Waves, etc.)  Since it's an outright sale of a product, the SEC and other gov't regulations would not apply. (US investors can participate even if they are not accredited or sophisticated!)

Here's the Key: We as the merchant would require that our product be purchased exclusively with the chosen native coin.

With our existing customer base, we could probably get 250,000- 300,000 users virtually overnight. And they would purchase Every Month!

Our thinking is that:

... the value of the coin should shoot straight up thru the roof! Do you all think this would work? Would investors want to participate?

(Here is my original post for those that have the patience and don't mind reading a lot. TLDR - too long, did/do not read.)

People won't be interested in any of that.
It's about free will and having to pay around $30 a month is not something that the users here want to do, they just want to make money and use money wisely.
Dullmartini

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 12:41:40 PM

I don’t understand why you would need your own currency for that? Why not launch your product, sell it and accept whatever means of payment you’re comfortable with? Maybe I’m missing something?
momopi

Activity: 501
Merit: 127

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 01:41:43 PM

I don’t understand why you would need your own currency for that? Why not launch your product, sell it and accept whatever means of payment you’re comfortable with? Maybe I’m missing something?

A strategy I guess. To make it "exclusive" and force users to patronize their service without going to another merchant/s. Just like other ICO projects. I maybe wrong and please enlighten me if I missed anything as well.
jimskiy

Activity: 574

Bitway.net - The Best Bitcoin Mining Network

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 01:44:04 PM

this might be work, but how about the shipment to the inverstor that isnt in the region like us/etc. the shipping cost and regulation may the issue of this strategies..
cmmiiw

BTC BitwayBTC
The Best Bitcoin Mining Network
────────  DiscordInstagram ♦  Twitter ♦  Bitcointalk ♦  Reddit ♦  Facebook   ────────
Dullmartini

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 08:31:35 PM

A strategy I guess. To make it "exclusive" and force users to patronize their service without going to another merchant/s. Just like other ICO projects. I maybe wrong and please enlighten me if I missed anything as well.

But they wouldn’t use their exclusive coin but a less well known coin.

Also, in order to inconvenience potential customers like that, your product better kick ass.

You’d also be losing a whole market share of people who can’t access or can’t be bothered to purchase crypto.

Sorry I guess I’m really not seeing the benefit for you OR your buyers.
Hyperme.sh

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 08:36:09 PM

Therefore, our idea is to ask investors to actually purchase our product (hard, tangible product, non-digital,) using a native coin that is not Bitcoin, Ether, Ripple, Litecoin, etc., (the big players.)  Instead we were thinking of a newer coin that hasn't reached mass adoption, but has a good community. (Lisk, Dash, Waves, etc.)  Since it's an outright sale of a product, the SEC and other gov't regulations would not apply. (US investors can participate even if they are not accredited or sophisticated!)

Our thinking is that:

This is a way for you to amplify your gains. You go buy some shitcoin, then have your users purchase that shitcoin to pay you for your product. So then you get the proceeds of sales, plus you are selling the tokens to these customers at higher prices than you purchased them.

Indeed we also thought of this concept internally in our private discussion group.

You need some way for the users to easily buy the shit coin that creates liquidity on exchange markets and moves the market price up.

And you’re depending on a reasonably liquid market for the pumped tokens to form so you can dump the tokens earned at higher prices. Which may or may not occur.

Note any whales of the shitcoin may front-run you though and you could be left holding the bag of shitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: