Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:21:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Transaction Fees Sustainable?  (Read 477 times)
malikusama
Copper Member

Activity: 1050
Merit: 294

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 07:57:39 PM

You need to start learning about the Lightning Network and offchain scaling. In the future very few people will transact with Bitcoin on-chain.

https://lightning.network/

Edit:
Here's a more readable article on one vision for scaling Bitcoin from a significant player: https://coinjournal.net/blockstream-president-adam-back-shares-roadmap-scaling-bitcoin/

PS: You can still get TX thru almost for free (a few cents) if you time it right or are patient. Segwit is increasing effective capacity daily.

The stated average transaction fee by OP (i.e $3) is not correct, it is around about 1 to 1.5 $.
Also he/she don't know about the lightening network as like many of the users, lightening network will going to make transactions much faster (in seconds or milli seconds) with low fees, this will make network much more efficient than ever before.
An0nyMoose

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 08:17:20 PM

The transaction fee is there to incentive the network to secure it and use it otherwise there would be no one that wants to mine or hash to keep the network secure and honest.

Blockonomics                          ██
                         ████  ██

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄ ████  ████  ██
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ████  ████
    ▄█████▀▀         ▀▀█████▄ ██  ████
   ████▀                 ▀████   ████
  ████      ████████▄      ████ ████
 ████        ██    ██▄      ████ ██
████         ██     ██       ████
████         ██   ▄██▀       ████
████         ███████         ████
████         ██    ██▄       ████
████         ██     ██       ████
 ████        ██    ██▀      ████
  ████      ████████▀      ████
   ████▄                 ▄████
    ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
          ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
ulhaq (OP)

Activity: 503
Merit: 286

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 07:35:44 PM

You need to start learning about the Lightning Network and offchain scaling. In the future very few people will transact with Bitcoin on-chain.

https://lightning.network/

Edit:
Here's a more readable article on one vision for scaling Bitcoin from a significant player: https://coinjournal.net/blockstream-president-adam-back-shares-roadmap-scaling-bitcoin/

PS: You can still get TX thru almost for free (a few cents) if you time it right or are patient. Segwit is increasing effective capacity daily.

The stated average transaction fee by OP (i.e $3) is not correct, it is around about 1 to 1.5 $.
Also he/she don't know about the lightening network as like many of the users, lightening network will going to make transactions much faster (in seconds or milli seconds) with low fees, this will make network much more efficient than ever before.

Both of these points have already been discussed in THIS thread:

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/transactionfees-btc-eth-ltc-dash.html#3m
According to this chart, most recent AVERAGE transaction fee is $4.86. If this chart is not correct, please explain why or cite another source. Even if some transactions are .10, that does not change the average.

Regarding lightning network, it was posted above that the on-chain transactions is an amalgamation of off-chain 2-way transactions between the same 2 parties. But for a merchant who has many individual, one-time customers, the lightning network should not help?
MakeMoneyBtc

Activity: 1092
Merit: 117

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 11:13:13 PM

There are certain moments during the day when the fee is 0.10$ or lower. If you dont need to make a transaction instantly then you can wait a few hours and get a very low fee. Yes, for merchants the fee is a very big problem and that is why a lot of websites dont accept bitcoin as a payment method. The fees are not going to decrease and be fixed any time soon but one solution of this would be to create a wallet for bitcoin where transactions inside it are free,like coinbase but something very secure
Cremeboy

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2017, 11:32:35 PM

I think the transaction fees ought to be reviewed especially for smaller transaction. I believe this would enhance bitcoin acceptability hence its value
ThunderCatSteve

Activity: 770
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 11:05:43 AM

I think the transaction fees ought to be reviewed especially for smaller transaction. I believe this would enhance bitcoin acceptability hence its value
Most of the consumers are of the view that the transaction fees are not sustainable at all specially in the cases of smaller transactions. I think that the Bitcoin suppliers must focus on this area to provide the facility of lowest possible prices in case of international transactions so as to gain the world wide repute as well as a higher level of acceptance by the consumers.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: