Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:22:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is My Address Hanging Out??  (Read 413 times)
N2crypto (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:16:13 PM

My Set-up:
  An offline wallet: for signing (Armory)
  An online watch only wallet: with the full blockchain downloaded (Armory and Bitcoin-Core).

I Plan To:
  1> use the online watch only wallet to create an unsigned transaction
  2> copy the transaction to the offline wallet and sign it
  3> copy the signed transaction back to the online wallet to broadcast to the network.

Obviously step 3 exposes my IP address and Bitcoin address to the internet (I think).  But....

1: By just creating a watch only wallet.  Does this expose my bitcoin address, (thus tying my public key to my IP address)? Is anything "transmitted" or is this passive?

2: As long as my local blockchain is up to date, can I do step 1 (create unsigned trans.) without being on line? If so does my local blockchain need to be fully caught up or just past my last transaction?

3: To sum up, can I get to where I ONLY expose my Bitcoin address at #3.

I'm not really asking how to mask my IP (Tor, I2P, VPN, Starbucks...) but if someone has a great idea on that I'm all ears.  Mostly I just need to know WHEN to mask my IP.

T.I.A.
N2

"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2017, 12:39:23 AM

1: By just creating a watch only wallet.  Does this expose my bitcoin address, (thus tying my public key to my IP address)? Is anything "transmitted" or is this passive?
It is entirely passive. Nothing needs to be sent anywhere nor registered anywhere.

2: As long as my local blockchain is up to date, can I do step 1 (create unsigned trans.) without being on line? If so does my local blockchain need to be fully caught up or just past my last transaction?
You do not need to be fully synced to create an unsigned transaction. However if you are not fully synced, you could potentially have a problem where the inputs that you are spending are already spent in a transaction that is later on in the blockchain. If you are already fully synced, you can go offline briefly to make the transaction, but I don't see why you would want to do that because nothing is ever transmitted for an unsigned transaction.

You have to expose your Bitcoin addresses in order to receive Bitcoin to spend, so no, that's not really possible. If you ignore that, then yes. In fact, you will always only expose your addresses (ignoring the receiving part) when you broadcast a signed transaction.

Note that it is practically impossible to figure out the IP address of the node that a transaction originated from. Transactions are not tied to IP addresses and Bitcoin addresses are not tied to IP addresses. The IP address that you see on block explorers like blockchain.info are the IP addresses of the node that first relayed the transaction to blockchain.info's node. That node is most likely not the node that created the transaction.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2017, 04:58:29 PM

I'm not really asking how to mask my IP (Tor, I2P, VPN, Starbucks...) but if someone has a great idea on that I'm all ears.  Mostly I just need to know WHEN to mask my IP.

1. Not really, depending on what kind of a criminal you are. Your watch-only wallet communicates with the internet and sends/recieves packages containg your address (httpPOST/GET methods).
If you are communicating via https, its secured. If not and the police is already observing you.. there is a chance they will get proofs you "watched" this address.
In case you are not a big boy criminal.. no.. there is no database or anything which keeps an eye on which ip is observing which address.

2. Yes this works. Your Blockchain doesn't even have to be up to date. Creating unsigned TX's is easy.

3. Yes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: