Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:44:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcing Project Invictus: a P2P Exchange Collaboration  (Read 11181 times)
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 05:10:18 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2013, 07:33:50 PM by charleshoskinson

After reviewing the comments, thread and discussing the notion of a p2p exchange with many in this community alongside the recent events with Liberty Reserve and MtGox, it is clear a P2P exchange needs to be developed to ensure the long term survival of all cryptocurrencies. There seems to be a great deal of innovation and different approaches to building a P2P exchange thus I think it is prudent to aggregate those actively working on an exchange into a single project for the purposes of collaborative innovation, funding, brainstorming and also reducing needless replication.

I call this Project Invictus. Over the coming weeks, I'll develop a website and forum for it as well as a mailing list. Until then, I'd love for anyone interested in joining to express their desire here and PM me their contact information. I'm also open to ideas about how the project should be structured and the specific set of goals we should have. Here is my crude first attempt:

Edit:

If you'd like to join the mailing list, then send an email from an account you check regularly to charles.hoskinson@gmail.com. I'll add you to the newsletter and invite you to the project management system we eventually setup for the workgroup. Also please include, your full name (or preferred pseudonym if you wish to remain anonymous) and your areas of interest.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 06:56:32 PM

I'm in!   

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 11:03:20 PM

I would like to contribute as well.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:17:43 PM

Count me in.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
SamS

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:26:27 PM

Yes. I'd like to contribute.

Bitcoin: 16i8sQWjZo3QPhhSfWupJff5PtwTxxpRJJ
Ripple:  rL7mRCDYBXsVSM2obdvEjwft5fPUmxv3ra
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

Well done, a great initiative.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:52:10 PM

I'll be watching this for developments. I may not be impressed by the "Bitcoin Education Project", but I am fascinated by decentralized and distributed exchanges. As a matter of fact, if you get a proof of concept working in this community by September, you're welcome to attend the discussion panel (http://theconference.eu/panels/) in Amsterdam regarding this very topic.

Cheers

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 06:57:56 PM

I'll be watching this for developments. I may not be impressed by the "Bitcoin Education Project", but I am fascinated by decentralized and distributed exchanges. As a matter of fact, if you get a proof of concept working in this community by September, you're welcome to attend the discussion panel (http://theconference.eu/panels/) in Amsterdam regarding this very topic.

Cheers
'

You know your former magazine sure is Matt: http://bitcoinmagazine.com/bitcoin-magazine-proud-to-be-a-partner-of-the-bitcoin-education-project/

We'll have an announcement towards the end of June on Project Invictus. There are a lot of people on this forum very interested in P2P exchanges and the conversations I've had have been amazingly well informed and deep. In terms of a PoC, the hardest part is getting a working definition of a P2P exchange that people can get behind: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/11116/what-is-the-definition-of-a-p2p-exchange. I've collected several whitepapers on this topic as well.

I'm very excited to see this area develop.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:58:13 PM

I'm in! We really need P2P exchange ASAP.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 07:00:35 PM

I have no editorial control over what they publish now.

We'll have an announcement towards the end of June on Project Invictus.
I'm very excited to see this area develop.

Great, I hope you can get a fair share of that work done by June and earn you a spot on the panel. I believe that panel will be one of the most important talks at the conference for a lot of us.

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 07:03:36 PM

Great, I hope you can get a fair share of that work done by June and earn you a spot on the panel. I believe that panel will be one of the most important talks at the conference for a lot of us.

If there is a consensus in the workgroup about a viable p2p exchange tech, then we will make the announcement at Jeff Tucker's October C3 conference at the earliest. Any technology has to be drafted into a whitepaper, prototype source code composed and a credible cryptographer has to review the implementation for flaws.    

I have no editorial control over what they publish now.

And a lot of people in the Bitcoin community who are passionate about education are eternally grateful for this fact. BTW at almost 2,000 students now.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 07:11:36 PM

If there is a consensus in the workgroup about a viable p2p exchange tech, then we will make the announcement at Jeff Tucker's October C3 conference at the earliest.
I guess I'll come back when something is viable then. Until then, can't wait to meet the OT guys in Amsterdam when they discuss openly with Ripple's developers about this topic. Good luck!

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 07:12:31 PM

I guess I'll come back when something is viable then. Until then, can't wait to meet the OT guys in Amsterdam when they discuss openly with Ripple's developers about this topic.

Lol, ok Matt. Have fun and say hello to David for me.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 07:15:13 PM

I guess I'll come back when something is viable then. Until then, can't wait to meet the OT guys in Amsterdam when they discuss openly with Ripple's developers about this topic.

Lol, ok Matt. Have fun and say hello to David for me.

Who's David?

charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 07:16:37 PM

https://twitter.com/JoelKatz

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 07:18:28 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2013, 08:39:32 PM by Matthew N. Wright

Ah Joel, I don't think he's going to the conference in Amsterdam this September. I guess you didn't bother clicking the link.

If I see him Chuck, I'll be sure to tell him that you said hello though.

nicolazza

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 07:20:07 PM

I'm in  Wink
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 08:18:27 PM

Still skeptic but interested, email sent ; )

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
akaihola

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 08:30:28 PM

Just to be sure, is this about distributed, decentralized p2p exchanges as opposed to centralized ones like bitcoin.de?
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 08:37:21 PM

Just to be sure, is this about distributed, decentralized p2p exchanges as opposed to centralized ones like bitcoin.de?

This is correct. At the very least such an exchange must meet the following criterion:

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/11116/what-is-the-definition-of-a-p2p-exchange

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: