Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 05:10:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with getting started  (Read 352 times)
MrHendren (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 02:38:39 AM

Hey all, I have a question.. I am about to get started on bitcoin mining, and have a question...
I am looking into getting 4 antminer s9, I understand that it takes a lot of electricity to run one, let alone 4. I had a electrician come out to my house to see how much it would cost to install either a 120v or 240v outlet in my garage. I have 5 spots open on my breaker box, and this is the problem I am having..
If I have him install a 240 v (50 amp breaker), I could run a maximum of 9600 watts (continously, but maximize is 12000, they say for continously only do 80 percent to be safe), I could run 4 psu(APW3++, which is 1600 watt each)  to that one breaker and it would be fine. Right?
For him to do that he would have to put 4 outlets to one breaker. Can that be done for a 240v? The guy said that it would be better to install 4 120v 20amp, that if I went with the 240 I would be able to only plug one of my miners in, and that I would need more spots on my breaker box. (240 watt takes up two spots on my breaker box, and I only have 5 left). So I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to install multiple outlets for a 240 volt on one breaker, run 4 miners,  or would that not work?
I'm obviously not a electrician and some of the stuff I said above could be wrong. Correct me if it is.
I also know 240 watt cuts half of the amp. So with 6800 watts on a 240v is 28amps, which a 50 is plenty enough.

If it is possible, what kind of receptacle would be best to install for the apw3++

This is a very technical question, and I appreciate the help.
Vivisector999

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:00:27 PM

I would say listen to your electrician.  Every country has different electrical codes.  And just because you "Can", do something theoretically, doesn't mean you can do it in your country.  I am pretty positive the electrician won't say, well if you heard it on the internet, then I will wire it that way. 

Check out AC3  @ https://ac3.io/
cocoinin

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 07:04:37 PM

omg almost 10KW continuously  running in the garage - sounds scary.

yes, listen to the guy. Try to not use single and big/strong/powerful breaker. Try to use many breakers - one for each or two devices.
3piecechickendinner

Activity: 106
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2017, 09:15:34 PM

I would say listen to your electrician.  Every country has different electrical codes.  And just because you "Can", do something theoretically, doesn't mean you can do it in your country.  I am pretty positive the electrician won't say, well if you heard it on the internet, then I will wire it that way. 

Exactly! Listen to the electrician and at the very least get a second opinion from another electrician.  Don't trust us on the internet with this one buddy

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ Blockchain for Flight Delays ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▮ ▮ Trustabit ▮ ▮▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬【 FACEBOOK 】【 TWITTER 】【 ANN THREAD 】【 TELEGRAM 】 ▬
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:33:04 AM

Hey all, I have a question.. I am about to get started on bitcoin mining, and have a question...
I am looking into getting 4 antminer s9, I understand that it takes a lot of electricity to run one, let alone 4. I had a electrician come out to my house

Yup listen to experienced man in his field Smiley.
You got good advices already, i see u also get serious to this mining topic.

All i can do really here is to wish u best of luck, u will need it, i mean its very competetive area of business.
Keep in mind difficulty will rise constantly.
utstroh

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 03:04:12 AM

Consult an electrician that does commercial work if you can.  That's not typical residential stuff.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2017, 08:40:05 AM

Also, depending where you live you might get attention from certain organisations guessing that you run a cannabis farm judging from your power consumption. Heard about such visits in the US.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: