Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:54:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Education Project: 100 Bitcoins in 30 Days  (Read 1922 times)
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 04:18:21 AM

BEP needs your help. We are seeking to raise 100 bitcoins in 30 days.

The official website is located at www.btcedproject.org, and you can see the existing lectures posted already at Udemy https://www.udemy.com/bitcoin-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-crypto/

This is an ambitious project, with the goal of creating a full-fledged series of lecture courses aimed at all kinds of people. The three planned lecture series are:

Bitcoin, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Crypto - this course will cover the essentials behind bitcoin - this is what you should show your grandma when she asks you what bitcoin is. Production on this lecture series has already begun, it can be viewed at the Udemy link above.

Bitcoin for Entrepreneurs - obviously the bitcoin community loves hearing about new businesses accepting Bitcoin - but anyone who has tried convincing a business to accept the currency knows, even if they are interested, oftentimes too many questions remain and they are hesitant and unwilling to take the plunge. This core purpose of this course is "To address and provide the best answers possible about regulations, taxes, laws and accounting practices as they relate to Bitcoin, [and] to showcase merchant services such as Bitpay to allow easier integration". Content will be created in partnership with legal and accountancy professionals, in both the EU and the USA, and will be reviewed yearly.

Bitcoin for Computer Scientists - The core purpose of this course is "To fully annotate Satoshi Nakamoto’s whitepaper, to introduce the prerequisite fundamentals in p2p technology, cryptography and the existing software for graduate students to pursue research in the area of cryptocurrencies as well as working professionals to work on Bitcoin related open source projects." Further, "Students after completion should be able to work alongside the protocol dev team and start researching solutions for some of the technological hurdles Bitcoin faces in the future Content will be rigorously reviewed and updated on a quarterly basis in cooperation with both academic and industry partners"

Who is behind the Bitcoin Education Project?
The Directors of BEP are Charles Hoskinson, in the USA, and Li Xiao Lai (李笑来), in China. Li is a well-known educator in China, and is responsible for getting lectures translated into Mandarin Chinese - this is a global initiative. Senior fellows include Adam Levine, host of Let's Talk Bitcoin, and Jeffery Tucker, the editor of Laissez-Faire Books.

You can see the full list of fellows here: http://btcedproject.org/?page_id=67

What are the goals of the Bitcoin Education Project?

The Bitcoin Education Project has three goals:
Goal 1: To Eliminate Misinformation about Bitcoin We all have heard the words ponzi scheme, bitcoin hacked, anonymous currency used to buy XYZ. Such statements are partly due to the complexity and experimental nature of Bitcoin and partly due to misinformation from media sources and peers. One of our goals is to eliminate or at least greatly reduce misinformation whenever it occurs through the distribution of creative commons content.

Goal 2: Content Generation The Bitcoin Education Project seeks to become an engine to generate and vet content made by members of the Bitcoin community. Our goal is to find people with amazing knowledge, skills and raw talent and help them share it with the world so we can improve our community. Great ideas always seek to lift everyone up regardless of where they start.

Goal 3: One Million People (New Users) The more people in the ecosystem; the more Bitcoin is worth. Everyone who uses Bitcoins has an incentive to bring people into our community. BEP seeks to do this by removing the knowledge barriers to entry and making people interested in Bitcoin. Our partnership with Udemy allows us to distribute a free course that is ever evolve, but over time we’d like to broaden our initiative to include different approaches to integration and evangelism

BEP would like to raise 100 BTC by the end of the month. This money will be used for:
  • Generating Video, Audio and Written Content
  • Marketing Content and Events Compatible with BEP’s Mission, Values and Goals
  • Paying Designers to Generate Artwork, Logos, Badges and Other Branding Material for BEP and its Campaigns
  • Funding Projects in the Bitcoin Community Compatible with BEPs Mission, Values and Goals
  • Funding Initiatives Designed to Broaden Bitcoin’s Adoption in the Academic and Business Domains
  • Funding Grants for Peer Reviewed Research Related to Bitcoin and its Ecosystem

If you would like to donate, official donation addresses can be found here: http://btcedproject.org/?page_id=200

BEP also needs volunteers! If you have some kind of skill to offer, or are a professional in a legal or financial field, your services could be of great use to BEP!

If you read this far, thanks! here's a tl;dr for the lazy ones: BEP wants to teach the world about bitcoin, needs funds to pay for legal consultancy, financial consultancy, design work, and other expenses. Official donation addresses can be found here: http://btcedproject.org/?page_id=200

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
GGGGG

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:21:30 AM

+1, this is awesome.

edit: I added a link to my signature. If anyone else wants to use it, here's the code:

Code:
[size=14pt][b]I support the Bitcoin Education Project! [url=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=229725.0](link)[/url][/b][/size]
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 04:05:35 AM

Awesome, awesome, awesome project.

I can't wait until mainstream computer scientists are exposed to the challenging problems in bitcoin... It'll make our current problem-solving abilities look like a caveman has built bitcoin to date!

Alright, I'll add the link to my sig too... Keep up the stellar work Charles!

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
matonis

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 11:51:30 AM

Excellent project, Charles.
I am very supportive of this!
Let me know how I can assist more.

Founding Director, Bitcoin Foundation
I also cover the bitcoin economy for Forbes, American Banker, PaymentsSource, and CoinDesk.
cheater123

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 10:16:25 AM

realy great idea I will like to join this
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 11:00:34 AM

+1 would like to join.  a "khan academy" for bitcoins.  Speaking of, their btc vids and cryptography vids are awesome.
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 04:16:33 PM

+1 would like to join.  a "khan academy" for bitcoins.  Speaking of, their btc vids and cryptography vids are awesome.

Thanks, if you like them, then you'll love the course I have on its way called "Breaking Out of Prism: a Hacker's Guide to the Internet".

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2013, 11:09:55 PM

It would be good to see a standard email to mail to online merchants about accepting btc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: