Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:42:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Mining] Sudden Weird Issues  (Read 443 times)
Beyondem (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:23:54 AM

I have a pc setup with 4 GPUs. I have been mining Litecoins with Reaper for a few days getting over 1.3mhash without an issue. All cards running 100%. Things were great.

Suddenlty, now when running Reaper my GPU usage is fluctuating between 70 and 80%. The GPU is never even 100% in usage. Sometimes, the other gpus will randomly shut off as well.

Now, if I switch to CGMiner on the same pool and everything, it runs over 1.3mhash as it should. No GPU issues. But, it never gets a share. Its very rare that it gets a share.

Could it be because CGMiner is working with higher difficulty shares? And are higher difficulty shares worth more?
For example:
Is a share at difficulty 128 worth more than a share at 64? Are they considered worth double in the pools, and thats why CGMiner isnt sending shares as often? The shares are worth more and I shouldn't worry?

Or should I keep digging (It has already been over a week) as to whats going on with Reaper, and try to get that going again? That was submitting a share every few seconds. CGMiner now Its probaby 30-90 seconds per share.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Xanthe

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 07:23:49 AM

Your Reaper issue is strange. I have no experience with Reaper but it sounds like your intensity (known as aggression in Reaper?) may be set too low. Another thing that can cause your problem is too high of CPU load. Since the work that the GPU does is fed to it by the CPU, if your CPU is being overworked (verifying the Bitcoin blockchain, encoding video, etc) it can cause your GPU to become under-utilized. Usually setting the priority of cgminer or Reaper to high in Windows fixes this (Ctrl-shift-esc, processes tab, right-click reaper/cgminer.exe).

As to your question about shares, you're right; the higher the difficulty of the shares that the pool gives you, the longer it will take to work on them. Thus, you'll submit roughly half as many shares if the difficulty of the shares doubles. As you already deduced, a pool will consider a higher difficulty share to be worth more and so in theory you should ultimately receive the same amount of coins whether you mine at a low pool difficulty or a higher one. Smiley

That said, you want to find a good middle ground in share difficulty. If your difficulty is set too low, you spend too much time and bandwidth communicating with the pool server and potential worktime is lost. If your share difficulty is too high, it takes you too long to solve shares and results in work being lost if the current block is solved while you're in the middle of working on a share for it. The share difficulty is set poolside so you may or may not be able to change it. Some pools allow you to set your difficulty directly (i.e. on the "workers" page of their web interface), others automatically adjust your difficulty based on the rate at which you submit shares and still others simply use a one-size-fits-all single difficulty.

I would stick with cgminer if you're comfortable using it. It's kept up to date and has a lot more features. 30-90 seconds per share sounds a bit long so I'd see if your pool allows you to lower your share difficulty.

Good luck! Cheesy
Beyondem (OP)

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:57:11 PM

Well, my intensity was 19. It didnt change between the sudden issues it started causing.

And that's the answer I've been looking for everywhere! Thanks! I will switch that one miner to CGMiner and let the rest sit with Reaper.

How come in CGMiner it says:
"Connected to us.wemineltc.com diff 128"
But then below it...
"Diff: 41.8M"

It seems to be completing shares of difficulty 128. But it takes 10-60 seconds each. Reaper on the same difficulty of shares submits every 1-5 seconds? Something is defiantly wrong still

Edit: On a side note, running CGMiner 3.10, as lots of the mining hardware comparisons suggest, all I get is hardware errors. I have been running 2.11~, as also suggested and this is where It has actually been working a bit
Kaepora

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:12:45 PM

Well, my intensity was 19. It didnt change between the sudden issues it started causing.

And that's the answer I've been looking for everywhere! Thanks! I will switch that one miner to CGMiner and let the rest sit with Reaper.

How come in CGMiner it says:
"Connected to us.wemineltc.com diff 128"
But then below it...
"Diff: 41.8M"

It seems to be completing shares of difficulty 128. But it takes 10-60 seconds each. Reaper on the same difficulty of shares submits every 1-5 seconds? Something is defiantly wrong still

Edit: On a side note, running CGMiner 3.10, as lots of the mining hardware comparisons suggest, all I get is hardware errors. I have been running 2.11~, as also suggested and this is where It has actually been working a bit
If you are getting HW errors you have an unstable overclock on your intensity is too high. I would reccomend CGMiner instead of the other.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: