Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:14:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Securing bitcoin through the creation of an independent Internet  (Read 231 times)
lazer1064 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 03:32:22 PM
Merited by dark frr (1)

Hello.
I propose to think about possible threats to bitcoin or altcoyins and possible ways to prevent and eliminate them.
The main threat now and in the near future, in my opinion, is the hostile actions of the government of large countries, such as China or the USA, and connected with this or not necessarily with this violation of the coherence, integrity of the Internet.
What can we do at the moment? I think we should start making an alternative Internet, an altnet not controlled by any governments, just like bitcoin. This is quite possible, and the first attempts to do this are already underway. For example, the OneWeb project, apart from its main stated goals, may well, as a side effect, give us a reliable satellite communications system, independent of a large state with repressive legislation. Of course, this will be possible if the main office and control center of this company will be in a neutral country with liberal legislation, whose government is positive about the independence of the Internet and bitcoin too. But some problems still remain, and they are connected with the use of radio communication to distribute the Internet from orbit. Such a connection is easily silenced if it is declared illegal, and ground users are found and punished. Similar projects from companies Google and Facebook suffer the same problems.
Therefore, I believe that we should move on to a new communication standard, which is much more difficult to drown out - it's a laser link. In addition, equipment for such communication will potentially cost much less and is easier to maintain, more durable and has high transmission rates.
I understand that such a topic does not quite correspond to the format of this forum, but we still need to think about the future how to ensure the stability of bitcoin and altcoyins. In addition, the altnet will generally ensure privacy, freedom, human rights, guarantees a sub-internet connection in poor countries, which is very useful for humanity. In addition, generally a private satellite provider is a profitable business, maybe even as profitable as mining or ICO. You can also make altcoin and ICO, which will attract investments for the development of such a distributed private satellite Internet project. I would support such a project. And you?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mobnepal
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 03:35:58 PM

There are several ways to add anonymity when making bitcoin tractions like use of mixing services and use of TOR browser and VPN network when making bitcoin transactions or using your bitcoin wallet. Government can ban all bitcoin related sites or wallet URL in their teritory but they can't stop people from accessing those websites through TOR browser or VPN network so alternative internet it not required, Bitcoin is just unstopable.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 03:42:36 PM

I'm confused by the question you're asking.

The internet is already independent. No country owns the internet. No government owns the internet. No corporation owns the internet. So what exactly are you referring to and talking about?

What governments do control in a lot of places is electricity and most countries (if not all) have utility companies that provide access to the internet. But are these companies required to access the internet or do they merely provide a significantly more convenient route to the internet for consumers.
lazer1064 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 03:56:12 PM

The internet is already independent. No country owns the internet. No government owns the internet. No corporation owns the internet. So what exactly are you referring to and talking about?

What governments do control in a lot of places is electricity and most countries (if not all) have utility companies that provide access to the internet. But are these companies required to access the internet or do they merely provide a significantly more convenient route to the internet for consumers.

You just do not know. China excellently isolated its Internet, and in fact they have a separate one. China  kicked the Google very successfully, despite all the high technologies of Google and big money back in 2007. At the moment, the same thing is happening in Russia. Thor can be easily destroyed by simply punishing the owners of input and output nodes, which happened more than six months ago, when in Moscow such an owner of the input node, the school teacher of mathematics was arrested. Now he is in prison.

lazer1064 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 04:08:29 PM

There are several ways to add anonymity when making bitcoin tractions like use of mixing services and use of TOR browser and VPN network when making bitcoin transactions or using your bitcoin wallet. Government can ban all bitcoin related sites or wallet URL in their teritory but they can't stop people from accessing those websites through TOR browser or VPN network so alternative internet it not required, Bitcoin is just unstopable.

all this works only until the security services take you seriously. Read above about the situation with the TOR in Russia.

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 04:28:39 PM

Ok, all I'm reading is China. China. China. China.

There are 250+ other countries that are not China. The truth is that China does not control the internet. China can restrict access to the internet by their people when within their borders. And their people can leave China.

I'll ask my question again - how is the current internet not independent?

You just do not know. China excellently isolated its Internet, and in fact they have a separate one. China  kicked the Google very successfully, despite all the high technologies of Google and big money back in 2007. At the moment, the same thing is happening in Russia. Thor can be easily destroyed by simply punishing the owners of input and output nodes, which happened more than six months ago, when in Moscow such an owner of the input node, the school teacher of mathematics was arrested. Now he is in prison.
kabit9

Activity: 853
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 04:40:42 PM

Perhaps the existing internet infrastructure (communications satellites/submarine cables/etc) is owned by a handful of for-profit telecom companies and not de-centralized per se is what he meant rather than not independent?

lazer1064 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 06:57:50 PM

Perhaps the existing internet infrastructure (communications satellites/submarine cables/etc) is owned by a handful of for-profit telecom companies and not de-centralized per se is what he meant rather than not independent?

Yes, and it is also. Monopolization of providers already creates problems with network neutrality, even in the US, and what about less developed countries? And although network neutrality is a slightly different problem regarding bitcoin, this is a clear example of possible problems.

lazer1064 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 07:07:08 PM

Ok, all I'm reading is China. China. China. China.

There are 250+ other countries that are not China. The truth is that China does not control the internet. China can restrict access to the internet by their people when within their borders. And their people can leave China.

Well, yes, some unhappy China is the world's second economy, 1.5 billion people, there are nuclear weapons and so on. irrelevant trifles. And their people can not leave China. In China there are exit visas. And you forgot about Russia, where the laws are now tougher than in China, but so far the government of Russia has failed to force them to comply due to lack of money and technology. So already 249 other countries. And without Iran, 248 countries. And so on.

lazer1064 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2017, 09:11:35 AM

The introduction of satellite-based laser communications will help us prepare for the new Carrington Event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859, which is likely to destroy all orbital satellites and destroy the connectivity of the Internet for some time. And this will directly affect bitcoin.
In conventional communication satellites, there is a reception loop for receiving a radio signal directly connected to the antenna. It is a wide-open gate for entering into the interior of the satellite a harmful electromagnetic pulse, which damages the filling of the satellite.
A satellite with a laser link is deprived of this drawback - there is no open circuit, the receiving circuit works through the optical range, and with a solar flare there is no powerful light radiation, only electromagnetic. Such a satellite is more resistant to the Carrington Event.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: