Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:41:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any idea on why the -20% of today ?  (Read 4020 times)
Tamis (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 12:06:29 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2013, 12:46:16 PM by Tamis

I'm loosing quite a bit of money and would like to understand.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chet

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 12:12:39 PM

You don't lose 'money' unless you sell. You still have all your BTC, its a good time to buy. Smiley
Tamis (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 12:15:34 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2013, 12:31:04 PM by Tamis

Well the thing is I had to make a payment today that I could not delay :/

EDIT :  Well I can delay my payment but i'm affraid it could be worse in the coming days...
Emm

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 12:32:49 PM

Bitcoins are still a volatile currency, this is not the largest swing in the price history of BTC.
ChrisJ

Activity: 146

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 12:37:53 PM

Hey,

Sorry to hear about this. There is a guy on twitter @SirBitsALot who thinks that it is deliberate price manipulation, checkout his videos on the right https://twitter.com/SirBitsALot

The best way to defend against this kind of behaviour is to have more exchanges. All the worst things about Bitcoin come from the surrounding centralised components like Gox. The work that has to be done now is P2P and open source exchanges.

Anyone have an challenges or thoughts?

I want to make the world better than I found it
Tamis (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 12:52:21 PM

I can't find the video.
Would you be kind enough to give a link ?

edit : ok just found it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbrKKawist4
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 01:21:05 PM

Hey,

Sorry to hear about this. There is a guy on twitter @SirBitsALot who thinks that it is deliberate price manipulation, checkout his videos on the right https://twitter.com/SirBitsALot

The best way to defend against this kind of behaviour is to have more exchanges. All the worst things about Bitcoin come from the surrounding centralised components like Gox. The work that has to be done now is P2P and open source exchanges.

Anyone have an challenges or thoughts?

It already exists, localbitcoins

But what you want merchants to do?  Most have to exchange out right away after selling you something.  If we want the price to be more stable than there has to be a bigger ecology for BTC.  Where there is less rush to exchange out

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
ixne

Activity: 211

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 01:35:22 PM

The best way to defend against this kind of behaviour is to have more exchanges.

That's putting the cart before the horse.  The reason the price swings so much is because the market is so thin.  Market orders (and therefore market depth) aren't (isn't) created by making more exchanges, they're made by people.  Making more exchanges just leads to a lot of ridiculous arbitrage during price swings like this.
Tamis (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 01:39:32 PM

It's a pity that I need to use sepa transfers that take quite some time to be executed or I would buy right now !
Price is going slowly going back up, I hope the manipulator will not hit again.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 01:47:11 PM

In commodity markets, including stocks and bitcoin, you can't be afraid of little dumps like this. If you buy a gold sovereign at $1500 and the price drops to $1300, you still have a gold sovereign. It's not as though you bought that coin intending to sell, even at a small net fiat profit anyway. Same applies to bitcoin. A price drop can be a buying opportunity iff you have spare fiat.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Tamis (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 01:59:19 PM

You are right unless you need to make a payment. I can delay the payment thanks god Smiley
Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:02:06 PM

Hope will get you nowhere, and you'll end up losing money either way.

You shouldn't have invested more than you afforded to lose.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
503guy

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:16:25 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2013, 02:29:13 PM by 503guy

Personally, I think bitcoins are worth less now that the difficulty has started to rise -- indicating that ASICs are starting to come on board more and more.  ASICs are inherently cheaper to run than GPU farms.  Since the whole backend of the bitcoin network has become cheaper to operate then the price should be adjusted accordingly.

btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 02:20:59 PM

perhaps this is people cashing in their BTC for USD to purchase chips.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:30:16 PM

I wonder if boycotting the exchanges and forcing those with Bitcoin to spend their Bitcoins online and do more transactions be useful?
ChrisJ

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:35:20 PM

It's a pity that I need to use sepa transfers that take quite some time to be executed or I would buy right now !

If you check http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com and select H4 and zoom out (scroll down) on the chart all the way you can see the 6/7 dumping pattern quite clearly. If this were just someone selling off their BTC this would be the worst way to do it, you would sell off gradually over time to get the best price.

ashaw596

Activity: 141

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:43:07 PM

Personally, I think bitcoins are worth less now that the difficulty has started to rise -- indicating that ASICs are starting to come on board more and more.  ASICs are inherently cheaper to run than GPU farms.  Since the whole backend of the bitcoin network has become cheaper to operate then the price should be adjusted accordingly.

I'm not sure about that. I think bitcoin prices are affected more by supply and demand than anything else and mining only affects supply a bit (and its a constant 25 bitcoins every ten minutes). (Specualation on the on the otherhand affect both Demand and Supply ALOT). However, I personally think ASIC companies are starting to cash out more to pay their bills.
ashaw596

Activity: 141

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:45:27 PM

If you check http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com and select H4 and zoom out (scroll down) on the chart all the way you can see the 6/7 dumping pattern quite clearly. If this were just someone selling off their BTC this would be the worst way to do it, you would sell off gradually over time to get the best price.

Ah, but thats not the point for them. Their goal isn't to get the most fiat out of the sell. What they do is drop the price by selling a large amount of bitcoins for fiat. However, they they buy them all back up at the lower price when everyone else freaks out. The market price slowly recovers and they can do it again.
ZephramC

Activity: 475
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:52:49 PM

You are right unless you need to make a payment. I can delay the payment thanks god Smiley

And your payment is in non-bitcoins?
ChrisJ

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:54:39 PM

Ah, but thats not the point for them. Their goal isn't to get the most fiat out of the sell. What they do is drop the price by selling a large amount of bitcoins for fiat. However, they they buy them all back up at the lower price when everyone else freaks out. The market price slowly recovers and they can do it again.

Yes this is what I meant. It's not someone selling off their BTC for cash, just trying to play the market and shake weak hands out of their BTC. They clearly have a bullish position in the market which I take as a strong signal  Wink

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: