Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:05:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin EU Convention 2013 (Amsterdam, Netherlands September 27th~29th)  (Read 9051 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 02:04:39 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2013, 02:24:23 PM by BadBear

A non-profit sponsored convention for cryptocurrency, the Bitcoin EU Convention 2013 in Amsterdam Netherlands on September 27th - 29th is a Watch / Ask / Meet / Trade convention.

Watch presentations suitable for TEDTalks from innovators in the field
Ask numerous panelists who work in the field and get your questions answered
Meet developers, investors, operators and supporters of all walks of life
Trade cryptocurrencies at the convention marketplace for food, gifts, technology and donate to real life charities

This convention is an open, community driven effort with fund-raising aided by 000 Media. Rather than opt for a politically charged display of wealth, we're here to get back to the basics of what bitcoin really is-- a community, decentralized effort. No foundations or agenda driven donors at this convention, just real people who really want the project to succeed.

The convention will feature panelists who will discuss topics relevant to the community, and answer open questions from the audience as time allows. If you have an idea for a panel or a panelist that you think should be included, feel free to email Moe Levin at panels@theconference.eu or PM me on this forum.

The convention will also feature diverse TEDTalks style 5~18 minute presentations from speakers such as the recent Cyprus account freezing victim, "zeroday", gaming entrepreneurs, and even a few musical performances by some special surprise guests.

Be sure to bring your bitcoins with you, this is one convention where there will be plenty of things to spend them on.

Managing Coordinator: Moe Levin
Managing Accountant: Rassah
Technical Support: Nick Kallechy, Joep Gottleib
Coordination Consultant: Matthew Wright

If you too would like to be a part of this event in any way, please contact community@theconference.eu

The pricing for attendance and hosting of booths is awaiting venue selection. After selection, a floorplan will be created and distributed to potential booth renters with prices. Speakers and panelists are being interviewed for inclusion regularly, so expect our list to update often with new and familiar faces. Reservation for attendance will be officially open after venue selection, but unofficially we aim for a 500 person turnout, and 50 have already pre-reserved, most of them having already purchased airfare.

Will update this thread as progress is made. If you are from the Netherlands and know of a place that you think would make a perfect venue for this, feel free to PM myself or email Moe Levin at community@theconference.eu!

See you all at the convention!

Make a pre-reservation (no payment required)
Reservations Open! Go to http://theconference.eu/tickets/ to order.

Days until the conference!

Timer removed. End time: 2013-09-27+12:30:00

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Floor

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 04:08:57 PM

I'm really interested and happy to see it being held in amsterdam will visit for sure.
stevenroose

Activity: 530
Merit: 100

https://www.pax-coin.io/

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:16:29 PM

Damnit, I would really love to come, but I'm not available that weekend Sad

If there comes a second edition next year, please pick a weekend in October! October is when uni starts again so students will be able to attend. (Most of 'em are on holidays in September.)

But anyways, have fun and I look forward to see some video's or pics from the event!

PAXCOIN     Cryptocurrency 2.0 for Real Economy  Join our ICO: 
  ──  Whitepaper ⬝  Twitter Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  ANN Thread   ──
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:18:51 PM

Great idea. Count me in. I am JavierMarti.co.uk founder of BitcoinGlobalInvestments.com

If you guys need speakers, I have a presentation on Bitcoin that I think you'd all enjoy, but I would do it only if the community is interested.

In the spirit of Bitcoin, and in order to avoid past problems with the speaker selection process and the event centering on "those who know someone", I think it would be good to select those who will be speaking through the forum, so people would choose who they would want to see speak. (it is just an idea/the way I would do it)

Unfortunately sometimes for this kind of events I have the impression that we are missing to hear some key people with important messages, just because those who selected the speakers did not choose them. For example, someone could be chosen because they invested heavily on Bitcoin, or because they run a certain BTC related business, but they don't have much of interest to say.

Since you guys do it in Europe, it would be a good opportunity to do things differently. Maybe it is just my impression but I have the feeling that the last Bitcoin convention centered around a very specific group of people, and not everyone may have liked that way of doing things.

You hit the nail on the head, buddy. It's precisely this reason we're hosting it through community efforts. For what it's worth, I want this to be a conference that supports new faces, stories and prospects. I won't be happy unless I can come home after feeling like I learned something that could not possibly have been learned from these forums, and that's one of the main reasons this will be a non-profit sponsored endeavor, to avoid repeating existing agendas and the inevitable echo chambers that ensue. Expect to have your opinions challenged if you come!

In tune with being a community driven convention, as mentioned before, if you have any suggestions for speakers, panelists, or would like to represent a project you care about with a booth, don't hesitate to contact Moe Levin or myself.

EDIT: JuiceRapNews was planned to attend and perform but they said they may or may not make it due to previous scheduling and hope to make it next year if not this. There are other arrangements for musical performances as well, but if you have any suggestions, please send them our way!

KSV

Activity: 398
Merit: 250

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 05:19:16 PM

500, why so few attendans?

thats quite an impressive turnout

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:13:31 PM

For those who believe they'll be able to make it this year, you can make a pre-reservation (head counts basically) through PM. Drop me a line so I can add you into the spreadsheet. Once reservations are enabled on the site, you'll be notified instantly.

Make a pre-reservation (no payment required)

dtuur

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:14:29 PM

Could you say something more about who exactly is organizing the event, and why it is in Amsterdam? (I'm not seeing any Dutch sounding names, for example)

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:25:15 PM

Could you say something more about who exactly is organizing the event,

Moe Levin is currently the front runner, he's setting up the space in Amsterdam. Rassah is handling the finances and all the funds for added transparency. I'm here to give it energy and ideas. Anyone is welcome to join in and help organize as this is truly a community endeavor.

why it is in Amsterdam?
In Moe's own words:

[5/23/2013 4:26:30 AM] Moe Levin: amsterdam is a place which is centrally located, and very accessible. further, the community is pretty well connected, and invested in it. some cafes here even accept bitcoin Smiley

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:28:50 PM

It is always a great idea when bitcoiners can meet irl and exchange ideas.

But M.N.W. ??

I'm not sure I'm ready to go backwards.

Bitcoin needs credibility and legitimacy.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:38:18 PM

Glad you feel that way, hope to see you there!

What would you consider going forward? Always open to suggestions, so long as they are doable with transparency and for the better of the community.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 08:00:38 PM

Glad you feel that way, hope to see you there!

What would you consider going forward? Always open to suggestions, so long as they are doable with transparency and for the better of the community.

M.N.W.

You "title" says it all.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 08:01:38 PM

500, why so few attendans?

thats quite an impressive turnout
Didnt the one in the US have like 3000?

Never heard an official Final Number the the word at the conference was 1100 registered attendees.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 08:45:36 PM

You "title" says it all.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you implying that the conference, which is being organized by Moe Levin in Amsterdam, is a step backward for bitcoin because  the person who happened to be discussing this, not even the organizer, is me?

Sorry for saying BCB, but I'm having a hard time understanding how that kind of ignorance and bias is not the epitome of "moving backwards".

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 10:40:58 PM

Your title is "untrustworthy"

You listed yourself as:

Coordination Consultant: Matthew Wright

The association with you diminishes their credibility in my opinion.

Just pointing that out.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 04:56:01 AM

The association with you diminishes their credibility in my opinion.

As the founder of the DCAO and co-founder of DialCoin and the Bitcoin Magazine, I don't think that word means what you think it does. I hope you will overcome any bias that holds you back in life. Hope to see you there regardless!

pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:31:50 PM

A guy having the "Untrustworthy" tag and half the forum ignoring him isn't the best choise for promoting a bitcoin convention or anything else whatsoever.

That being said i hope for the convention to be a success.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:46:37 PM

A guy having the "Untrustworthy" tag [...] isn't the best choise for promoting a bitcoin convention or anything else whatsoever.
I can promote whatever I want to, so can you. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

and half the forum ignoring him
I can see exactly how many people are ignoring me (thanks to a feature I paid Theymos to create) and it is far from half the forum.

That being said i hope for the convention to be a success.

Me too! I've never been to the Netherlands before, but I can't wait. My sister may be coming as well, she is very interested in bitcoins from a libertarian perspective recently.

joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 06:33:45 PM

Count me in. How do i sign up?

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:22:14 PM

What will be the differences with the one in Vienna in November? In terms of topics/goals/organization/whatever? The time slots are pretty close.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 07:27:44 PM

My sister may be coming as well
Oh yes, she will.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: