Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:59:15 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Diversifying currencies  (Read 398 times)
TCK (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:11:01 PM

Hello  Smiley

Just thought I'd say hi.

I have a little fiat currency coming in every month (just like the rest of you...) and am going to diversify to spread my risk and am now buying bitcoins. I have a few gold coins and a few kilos of silver coins for safety in "real life" now I want bitcoins too.

I saw the Winklevoss brothers (the guys who really invented facebook) were buying bitcoins with their settlement money so I decided to give it a try for that reason also. They seem to think bitcoins are going up. Of course they probably bought theirs at 1$ or something. But as more and more fiat money gets put into bitcoins I think we will see higher prices during the next years.
Someone in another forum I use has two thousand bitcoins. Not quite there at these current prices hehe.

I'm going to use a few different wallets, one web wallet to recieve donations from my soon to be website and some paper wallets and one cold wallet on microSDHC card (if possible). But I was wondering, is Coinbase (web wallet) really safe? Of course that's my web wallet which will have very low amounts and as of yet has nothing in it, but how safe is the paper wallet function in Coinbase? Does anyone have any experience with it, good or bad experience? And can the funds be stolen from the blockchain while the bitcoins are stored in a paper wallet? This is confusing to me.

EDIT: There is no password generated by Coinbase that goes with each adress, so there's just my password. Is there a way to get a password that looks similare to the adress, a long "seed" in coinbase?

Thanks.  Smiley
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:09:44 PM

Most online wallets are reasonably safe. That said, some sites have been hacked. Likewise the bitcoin client is safe, but you have to worry about getting a virus on your computer which varies by OS.  If you are running the bitcoin qt client, then you'll get the long private key if that is what you were asking.

Your plan in keeping only "spending money" online in hot storage while more in cold storage sounds smart.  It would be virtually impossible to steal from your paper wallet without access to it or access to the computer when you were generating it.

Hello  Smiley

Just thought I'd say hi.

I have a little fiat currency coming in every month (just like the rest of you...) and am going to diversify to spread my risk and am now buying bitcoins. I have a few gold coins and a few kilos of silver coins for safety in "real life" now I want bitcoins too.

I saw the Winklevoss brothers (the guys who really invented facebook) were buying bitcoins with their settlement money so I decided to give it a try for that reason also. They seem to think bitcoins are going up. Of course they probably bought theirs at 1$ or something. But as more and more fiat money gets put into bitcoins I think we will see higher prices during the next years.
Someone in another forum I use has two thousand bitcoins. Not quite there at these current prices hehe.

I'm going to use a few different wallets, one web wallet to recieve donations from my soon to be website and some paper wallets and one cold wallet on microSDHC card (if possible). But I was wondering, is Coinbase (web wallet) really safe? Of course that's my web wallet which will have very low amounts and as of yet has nothing in it, but how safe is the paper wallet function in Coinbase? Does anyone have any experience with it, good or bad experience? And can the funds be stolen from the blockchain while the bitcoins are stored in a paper wallet? This is confusing to me.

EDIT: There is no password generated by Coinbase that goes with each adress, so there's just my password. Is there a way to get a password that looks similare to the adress, a long "seed" in coinbase?

Thanks.  Smiley
KSV

Activity: 398
Merit: 250

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 06:41:29 PM

download the original satoshi client. Its the safest option. And if your paranoid - like me - use the armory add on Wink

that should solve all security concerns you have.

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: