Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:39:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Was there a Serious event causing current drop?  (Read 4447 times)
btc237ftw (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:13:41 PM

Does anyone know? Because I was looking around the forum and on several news sites and did not see anything that can be a bases for a sudden drop in price.
I am not trying to speculate here, I'm looking for a serious General-discussion about why this current drop accrued.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 03:16:30 PM

My guess would be one of those big million dollar investors from the bubble time is tired of seeing his money sitting in something that is not bringing a large return. So they moved on to something else.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Jgguy

Activity: 120

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:19:58 PM

The hype over bitcoin is dying back down.  Honestly it might be better this way as bitcoin needs people to use it to buy things, not hold it like gold.
reg

Activity: 463
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:20:39 PM

most of the channels for buying have been taken out! however I used localbitcoin.com for the first time today and was pleasantly surprised (included escrow etc). I do not know about selling though. the drop in my "opinion" is due primarily to market forces. on the plus side adoption seems to be growing exponentially-we may be close to a tipping point. reg
NeonRonin

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 03:21:50 PM

We're also going into the summer months for North America and Europe; people are going to want liquid cash to spend on holidays and vacations.  I would suspect we'll see some volatility for the next month or two, with some great buying opportunities presenting themselves.
CanadianGuy

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:23:35 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2013, 04:40:00 AM by CanadianGuy

yeah everybody got confused when the media stopped talking about it for 5 days and started a panic.  "OMG WE HAVEN'T MADE HEADLINES FOR TOO LONG, SELL SELL SELL.  THE HYPE IS GONE".  
Umm yeeeeah, i love daytrading
ChrisJ

Activity: 146

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:43:13 PM

Someone else asked this. I have been following a guy on Twitter called @SirBitsALot and commented on it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=229979.msg2419960#msg2419960

He thinks it is price manipulation, someone dumping coins shaking weak hands out of their positions and then buying back lower. If true this would mean he must be quite bullish.

I want to make the world better than I found it
ChrisJ

Activity: 146

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:44:13 PM

It was because of this fake email which was distributed on Saturday night, and then the usual noobs started panic selling. And I publicly accuse the "fontas" moron of doing this. He "predicted" a crash on June 8/9, and spread the scam email to make sure it would happen so he could recoup the losses from his previous failed pumps and dumps. I won't reply to anyone about this, I've said enough on the BTC-e chat box already. It's because of scum like this guy that Bitcoin's price is so unstable and the end result is that more "serious" people who would be welcome to join Bitcoin avoid doing it.

BTW, notice the pathetic invalid IPv4 address on the email, with one of the 4 numbers being 523...

This is interesting and would certainly have all the hall marks of Fontas MO. He tends to leave hidden messages for those smart enough to find them in his communications.

I want to make the world better than I found it
btceic

Activity: 392

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 03:44:43 PM

It was because of this fake email which was distributed on Saturday night, and then the usual noobs started panic selling. And I publicly accuse the "fontas" moron of doing this. He "predicted" a crash on June 8/9, and spread the scam email to make sure it would happen so he could recoup the losses from his previous failed pumps and dumps. I won't reply to anyone about this, I've said enough on the BTC-e chat box already. It's because of scum like this guy that Bitcoin's price is so unstable and the end result is that more "serious" people who would be welcome to join Bitcoin avoid doing it.

BTW, notice the pathetic invalid IPv4 address on the email, with one of the 4 numbers being 523...

Can anybody with access to the original email grab the headers we might be able to trace is source.

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:45:14 PM

it could have been

1. the 3 black helicopters floating around my home, shooting radio waves at my computer,
2. people realizing that soon all BTC-cashout options are destroyed,
or
3. the asic guys (manufacturers) cashing out
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 03:45:59 PM

psychological shift is all
skilo

Activity: 321

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:47:16 PM

The whole thing with Mt.Gox is probably causing most of it.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:04:07 PM

Jeez, I'm sorry. I just wanted to buy a new Airstream trailer to vacation this summer and needed some cash. I had no idea you would all get bent outa shape over it.
jk

Shawshank
Legendary

Activity: 1623
Merit: 1608

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:27:14 PM

It may also have to do with the fact that we are producing far more than 3600 bitcoins per day, in a sustained rate for several months now. At this moment, for example, we are at 176 blocks per day. Last week I believe we reached 200 blocks per day just before the difficulty change.

Lightning Address: shawshank@getalby.com
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:29:02 PM

Well, in my personal opinion. I believe it was the manufacturers of the ASIC were simply cashing out.
Stark-Fujikawa

Activity: 150

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:33:05 PM

Can anybody with access to the original email grab the headers we might be able to trace is source.

These people are time wizards of some sort. June 9 2013 is now a Saturday.

NL/EN Translator. Will work for crypto.
NXT:13307336450726014831
reg

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:43:09 PM

It may also have to do with the fact that we are producing far more than 3600 bitcoins per day, in a sustained rate for several months now. At this moment, for example, we are at 176 blocks per day. Last week I believe we reached 200 blocks per day just before the difficulty change.

I did not know this? I thought the difficulty rate kept block production at 1 every 10 mins? what happens when asics really hit then?. reg
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:48:11 PM

I did not know this? I thought the difficulty rate kept block production at 1 every 10 mins? what happens when asics really hit then?. reg

The difficulty increases only every 2016 blocks.  If a lot of hashing power comes online quickly, the network can find blocks faster, for a short time.  The same thing happens in reverse if the hash rate drops for some reason.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
reg

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:54:01 PM

The difficulty increases only every 2016 blocks.  If a lot of hashing power comes online quickly, the network can find blocks faster, for a short time.  The same thing happens in reverse if the hash rate drops for some reason.

ok I get that-but if the pools hold the coins that should not affect the price . is it not only if there are more sellers than buyers the price drops? if so where are they selling? it appears mtgox and other exchanges are having difficulty in getting fiat into them to sell in high quantities?. reg.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:58:54 PM

Quote from: kjj

ok I get that-but if the pools hold the coins that should not affect the price . is it not only if there are more sellers than buyers the price drops? if so where are they selling? it appears mtgox and other exchanges are having difficulty in getting fiat into them to sell in high quantities?. reg.

You really need to learn to use the quote feature.

I was just answering the difficulty question.  The cause of exchange rate shifts is unknowable, no matter how many threads pop up asking about or blaming gremlins.

P.S.  The quantity sold is exactly equal to the quantity purchased.  Shifts in price reflect a change in the relative desires to hold of the parties involved, only.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: