Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:10:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: P2P and Encryption will liberate us from .gov  (Read 4412 times)
gollum (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 03:50:56 PM

We must always assume:
-Governments are greedy to obtain more control and information, they collect much more info than necessary
-Service providers cannot protect your privacy from governments
-Both Governments and service providers leaks information about you without knowing it

Conclusion:
-Service providers must build platforms that are impossible to spy on
-Consumers must only use services that are 100% secure

The solution:
-Open source platforms for communication so people can verify the security of the platform
-Peer-2-peer solutions so no single government can take down the platform
-Encrpytion used automatically in a way that not even the service provider can see or decrypt your messages, only you and the recipient can read the messages.

One platform that works exactly in this way is BitMessage Smiley
NSA (National Stasi Agency) would not be able to spy on our communication if Skype, Gmail, Hotmail, Facebook were built in the same way as BitMessage.
In a few years Im sure facebook will lose userbase to such services where you can communicate with your friends without being spied on by Zuckerberg or NSA.
CompNsci

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:05:19 PM

Ease of use of services is critical though. Most people really don't care _that_ much about whether their messages are read by the NSA or even the general public.

There is a bit of upset now about the wholesale violation of the constitution of the US by this spying, but until it is really easy to use encryption and P2P, most users won't be bothered to worry about it.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1303

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:56:01 AM

Very true and it has to be something that requires trivial setup. Most people here can do so, but many parents, aunts, kids, girl/boyfriends cannot.

Mining is similar. My mother or grandmother could not set a computer up to mine unless it is download from a trusted source and double-click.

We must always assume:
-Governments are greedy to obtain more control and information, they collect much more info than necessary
-Service providers cannot protect your privacy from governments
-Both Governments and service providers leaks information about you without knowing it

Conclusion:
-Service providers must build platforms that are impossible to spy on
-Consumers must only use services that are 100% secure

The solution:
-Open source platforms for communication so people can verify the security of the platform
-Peer-2-peer solutions so no single government can take down the platform
-Encrpytion used automatically in a way that not even the service provider can see or decrypt your messages, only you and the recipient can read the messages.

One platform that works exactly in this way is BitMessage Smiley
NSA (National Stasi Agency) would not be able to spy on our communication if Skype, Gmail, Hotmail, Facebook were built in the same way as BitMessage.
In a few years Im sure facebook will lose userbase to such services where you can communicate with your friends without being spied on by Zuckerberg or NSA.
Prophet

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:24:25 PM

why not in protest, create the greatest open source communication device ever devised?

OpenCoin... Maybe? Where everyones texts, phone calls and data shares are logged in a giant public ledger for everyone to see? You'd have a encrypted key for an address and you can have as many as you like, you can call anyone for a minimal fee but everything you say gets recorded on the ledger for everyone to see.

I'm serious, if no one cares that the whole western world is being spied on, how many of us would be willing to use such a service? Who needs national spy agencies when joe and jane blow off the street can monitor us to make sure we aren't talking to the wrong people?
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:06:11 PM

All .gov isn't bad, public coercive .gov funded through theft and murder is.

The real problem today isn't rescuing people from public .gov it is rather devising the right scheme to incentivize people to not perform a 51% attack on their fellow man. Just like Bitcoin offers an incentive to work for the system instead of attacking it, we need a scheme that changes what I think is THE FUNDAMENTAL problem today = being a violent psychopathic thug pays, and it pays very well! Whether you are a psychopath politician, lying to get elected and then enacting rules that are forced onto everyone, or a state judge convicting people of breaking rules they never agreed to, or a state prosecutor looking for people who broke rules they never agreed to and harassing them or a law enforcement officer who ultimately enforces the punishment for breaking said rules people never agreed to follow or last but not least a soldier going around the world killing people because they are not willing to follow those same rules - it's all about violence paying off with a huge reward in wealth and power.

So what we need is not no government, what we need is a scheme within our society that will reward those who behave according to some principles, principles that if obeyed will simply make the public government, the state too costly to even consider. I envision that once we get so far and have such a scheme in place public governments will be replaced with private governments and these private governments will only thrive if they adhere to these sort of principles everyone else is adhering to.

In other words we can't fight the public .gov and win, we can get there through a revolution, we can only get there through evolution of society by offering the right incentive.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Prophet

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:50:53 PM

How would we do this then? Agressive anti-social people exist in every echelon of society. You have garden variety Cons that steal/lie/cheat/manipulate regular people out of their money with no accountability then you have the ones that vie for power to gain a further upper hand against you through the system.

These people know how to use the system very well, They rob through lies and persuasion, soon to leave your life leaving no paper trail to have them account to; Some con the welfare system/churches and any charitable organization that is willing to hand them money; Others have become professional cons dealing and wheeling through the legal system knowing the exact amount that human minds can be bent and manipulated to avoid getting near those purported laws.

These people are absolutely remorseless and will intoxicate you, limiting your thinking ability, Distract your attention to do things behind your back, make illogical arguments to trick you, trick you into taking all the risks that the legal system has to deter individuals, Basically confuse you and take advantage of your ignorance in the cruelest way possible and when they are done with you, they will throw you away waiting for the next chump to come along. And i'm not even mentioning the ones that have the extra backing of authority.

The whole system we have now is so convoluted and confusing we need lawyers just to figure out if we can jump yay high in designated areas... how do we fix this? Can Bitcoins technology solve this without revealing someones identity?
gollum (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 12:24:15 AM

In other words we can't fight the public .gov and win, we can get there through a revolution, we can only get there through evolution of society by offering the right incentive.
We dont need to fight the corrupt and power hungry big brother governments, we just give them the finger.
Now we are aware of their intentions (spying and analyzing us), so we must protect our privacy by using encryption everywhere.
We need mail, phone and social networking services where not even the sysadmin can read or decrypt the communication.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 12:29:31 AM

Bahahahaa! Cheesy That's so going to be me when I'm 30, interrogation room and all >_> Tongue
kodo

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:12:29 PM

Damn right it will!
No 1

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Ad Infinitum Et Ultra

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:08:32 PM

Bahahahaa! Cheesy That's so going to be me when I'm 30, interrogation room and all >_> Tongue

don't worry I'll be across from you planning a way to break out Smiley

12wqXQuExLnWoWWQy7j35hzBEW91bUz1YS
LcbBQ5oXtTjyKK4V8iaDqgUAAtahv9nsHR
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: