Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 12:19:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: interested in USB Erupters  (Read 599 times)
niceGuy7 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:23:47 PM

Hi All,
I am new here. I am looking for your opinions about USB Eruptors.
Does anybody have any experience with them?
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:32:39 PM

They're not really going to make a profit. They're more of a novelty.
Noble

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:34:51 PM

The USB Erupters are just another gimmick that will end up in a large loss for people. Sure, they might be great right now, but with BFL finally starting to deliver, these erupters will be outphased before anybody can make their ROI.

If you want to try it, go for it, but I'm not.
J35st3r

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 04:38:35 PM

Plenty of info on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=14.0

And yes, they are overpriced for what you can expect to earn over their lifetime. 2.0BTC, wholesale, you purchase at 2.5BTC (or more in USD on ebay). Will probably only earn you 1.0BTC through mining, and worthless resale value at the end of life. Don't do it (unless you're mining just for fun).

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
niceGuy7 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:17:24 PM

The USB Erupters are just another gimmick that will end up in a large loss for people. Sure, they might be great right now, but with BFL finally starting to deliver, these erupters will be outphased before anybody can make their ROI.

If you want to try it, go for it, but I'm not.

You have to have a strong believe that BFL's will ever deliver. Probably after manufacturers will mine the last coin themselves.
Erupters are NOW.
niceGuy7 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:19:25 PM

Plenty of info on https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=14.0

And yes, they are overpriced for what you can expect to earn over their lifetime. 2.0BTC, wholesale, you purchase at 2.5BTC (or more in USD on ebay). Will probably only earn you 1.0BTC through mining, and worthless resale value at the end of life. Don't do it (unless you're mining just for fun).

I am not a banker and I do not expect to become rich out of this, but fun is important!
J35st3r

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:25:35 PM

I am not a banker and I do not expect to become rich out of this, but fun is important!

OK, go for it then. Get yourself a Raspberry Pi so you don't tie up your main computer 24x7 (its really cheap to run too at a couple of watts), and mine away. When you'r bored with mining (or you're just earning dust in about 6 months time), you've still got yourself a really cool linux box to play with  Grin

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:28:23 PM

I would buy one when they drop the price below 1 BTC and the BTCUSD price is about $70-$80. Depends on the difficulty at the time though.
AlphaC

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 05:29:04 PM

I don't think it's worth the risk, seeing as BTC difficulty is rocketing.
niceGuy7 (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:29:30 PM

OK, go for it then. Get yourself a Raspberry Pi so you don't tie up your main computer 24x7 (its really cheap to run too at a couple of watts), and mine away. When you'r bored with mining (or you're just earning dust in about 6 months time), you've still got yourself a really cool linux box to play with  Grin

sounds interesting, could you direct me to some resources? What miner can I run in Raspberry Pi?
the fun begins!
J35st3r

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:05:26 PM

sounds interesting, could you direct me to some resources? What miner can I run in Raspberry Pi?
the fun begins!

This will tell you what you need to know https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=220905.0

Buy your block erupter from one of group buys, not ebay. I won't recommend one (caveat emptor!), but take a look here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=76.0

You'll have to source your own pi, just go googling for it (but again, not ebay). Farnell are pretty reliable (UK based, but with international branches). There may be a waiting list.

Other things you need ... hdmi TV display, keyboard, mouse, cables, powered USB hub (see notes in link at top, not all are equal), SD memory card, SD card reader (so you can flash it), an internet connection (wired ethernet preferred, else you need a wifi dongle too).
Not looking quite so cheap now is it? You may already have some of this stuff though. Some good info on http://elinux.org/RPi_Hub

Hmm, maybe this isn't your cup of tea? You're not a banker, but do you do geek?

Have Lots of Fun (old SuSe Linux reference) and don't blame me when you fail to make a profit.

clicksmoney

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 07:02:36 PM

ROI is same as if you had 58xx on free power. Do the numbers or buy and sulk. Your choice!

J35st3r

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 07:15:49 PM

ROI is same as if you had 58xx on free power. Do the numbers or buy and sulk. Your choice!

Except the 58xx will have a resale value at the end. Actually the best thing you can do with your Block Erupter is to put it straight on ebay as soon as it arrives. You'll probably make a good profit from the mugs trying to get into that new free money next big thing.  Shocked

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: