Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:51:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Prices are up.. On Ebay  (Read 1942 times)
scooter (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:07:10 PM

I have been watching bitcoin related auctions on ebay a lot lately.
Mostly because I wanted to track the fall in price of the block erupter USB miners. But also to buy any good deals on fractional bitcoins if I see any.

It has been interesting to observe prices for bitcoins on ebay since the price started to fall.
When it was around $130-$135 people were frequently paying around 10-20% premium to buy on ebay. This is expected because ebay takes 10% and another 3% or so from paypal.

However, as the price fell I noticed less bitcoins for sale and the prices went up. Now it seems a 40%-60% or more premium on price is common.

My guess is that as the price has fallen, sellers expecting the amount they could sell their coins for to go down decided to hold on to them and wait and see if the market price goes up having the effect of driving prices up on ebay.

Maybe something else is at work. But it is interesting to observe.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jakewell

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:34:17 PM

The sellers moved their bitcoins to the exchange to sold them fast.. thats why less bitcoins for sale.
Manna

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:58:53 PM

I don´t get it, who sells bitcoins at ebay for paypal. There are a lot of scammers outside. Or do they ship a coldwallet to the adress mentioned on paypal and reload it when sucessfully shipped ?
virtualfaqs

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 08:18:21 PM

I don´t get it, who sells bitcoins at ebay for paypal. There are a lot of scammers outside. Or do they ship a coldwallet to the adress mentioned on paypal and reload it when sucessfully shipped ?

Doesn't matter how they send it. If the buyer calls foul, they'll be getting their money back. If the seller does his homework, he can easily spot 99% of scammers on eBay. Most don't. And even if you do, there's probably a group of buyers who suffer from buyer's remorse after price dropping who will threaten you with a dispute if you don't refund them.

When I was selling on Ebay, I never sold a single BTC or lost a BTC after 50 auctions. I had a specific criteria for buyers, and they never met my criteria. Numerous scammers. I only ended up paying eBay fees for my troubles.

https://twitter.com/virtualfaqs
Looking for altcoin pump advice? Then follow me.
scooter (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 09:06:35 PM

There is certainly a risk to doing it. Especially since ebay is a scam magnet.. I see so many auctions for those fake Cryonic Frostbit mining rigs.
But, clearly there are a lot of people selling BTC on ebay and making a very nice margin.
Reckman

Activity: 711

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 10:07:19 PM

Mostly because I wanted to track the fall in price of the block erupter USB miners. But also to buy any good deals on fractional bitcoins if I see any.

It has been interesting to observe prices for bitcoins on ebay since the price started to fall.
When it was around $130-$135 people were frequently paying around 10-20% premium to buy on ebay. This is expected because ebay takes 10% and another 3% or so from paypal.

However, as the price fell I noticed less bitcoins for sale and the prices went up. Now it seems a 40%-60% or more premium on price is common.

My guess is that as the price has fallen, sellers expecting the amount they could sell their coins for to go down decided to hold on to them and wait and see if the market price goes up having the effect of driving prices up on ebay.

Maybe something else is at work. But it is interesting to observe.

nah the premium is due to fraud rates on ebay
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 10:47:09 PM

/offtopic:

so I'm not the only one Wink
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 05:18:01 AM

Come on guys

Scammers will pay any price you slap on there. They won't lose anyway.
bb999

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:46:50 PM

Selling on eBay is asking to be ripped off.  One of the main benefits of BTC is the finality of payments, to sell it through eBay completely removes that benefit.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:15:19 AM

1/3 of ebay btc transactions end up in scams.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
hybrid

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:12:14 AM

Doesn't matter how they send it. If the buyer calls foul, they'll be getting their money back. If the seller does his homework, he can easily spot 99% of scammers on eBay. Most don't. And even if you do, there's probably a group of buyers who suffer from buyer's remorse after price dropping who will threaten you with a dispute if you don't refund them.

When I was selling on Ebay, I never sold a single BTC or lost a BTC after 50 auctions. I had a specific criteria for buyers, and they never met my criteria. Numerous scammers. I only ended up paying eBay fees for my troubles.

So what was your policy?

I tried selling some BTC on eBay a few days before the crash and the buyer messaged me with his bitcoin address saying that he would pay half the purchase price first, and after he received the full BTC amount, he would send the other half of the payment (yeah right). 

I told him I would send the BTC to the address he provided, and after they are sent I would message him blockexplorer.com link to the transaction.  That way if either of us claimed to have been scammed, when eBay looks through our message history they will see proof of the bitcoins being sent to the address the buyer provided.

The buyer only responded a week later claiming to have had his account compromised and that eBay was looking into it.
Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 11:07:43 AM

Stay away from selling BTC on ebay. I don't think there's any reason for a legitimate buyer to use eBay to buy BTC, considering the premium they have to pay.
scooter (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:25:57 PM

Stay away from selling BTC on ebay. I don't think there's any reason for a legitimate buyer to use eBay to buy BTC, considering the premium they have to pay.

I disagree. Sometimes the premium is less than that of sellers near me on localbitcoins.
virtualfaqs

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 10:08:42 AM

So what was your policy?

I tried selling some BTC on eBay a few days before the crash and the buyer messaged me with his bitcoin address saying that he would pay half the purchase price first, and after he received the full BTC amount, he would send the other half of the payment (yeah right).  

I told him I would send the BTC to the address he provided, and after they are sent I would message him blockexplorer.com link to the transaction.  That way if either of us claimed to have been scammed, when eBay looks through our message history they will see proof of the bitcoins being sent to the address the buyer provided.

The buyer only responded a week later claiming to have had his account compromised and that eBay was looking into it.

Sorry. So hard to tell when someone replies in these threads. I just saw this. You have to do everything if you don't want to get scammed on eBay. Verify PayPal emails. Did they bid on other BTC auctions? How much are they paying? How does your price compare to others? Why didn't they bid on cheaper auctions? Call their phone numbers. Social engineer. You want to look for people with good jobs, decent universities, good records of behavior. I did all this and I never had auctions for more than 1 BTC back when they were $10. haha That's why there's such a high premium on eBay because you pretty much have to do this for every transaction.

Don't even think anyone on eBay is going to even look at blockexplorer and have a clue what it means or anything about BTC.

Just think of eBay or any online sale as the buyer can hit an "I win" button and get their money back for up to 90 days unconditionally. Now if you don't have a good idea if your buyer will use this "I win" button or not. Then you obviously haven't done enough research and should not proceed with the sale.

austins

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 08:26:55 AM

What about PayPal chargeback?

randrace

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 10:16:50 AM

Thanks for sharing you observations OP. I have sold cryptos on EBay, but hold off when the price is down.
I think I'll give selling on a downturn a try.

Also...
Tips for sellers afraid of fraud:
-Add a ridiculously high Buy It Now price to your auction. Whomever uses it is a likely a fraudster.
-Make sure buyers PayPal and EBay info match.
-Look at buyers recent feedback for clues of fraud.

I dodged two fraudulent buyers recently by noticing their PayPal and EBay info did not match.

virtualfaqs

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 11:14:37 PM

What about PayPal chargeback?

Yes, chargeback is the "I win" button. But I'm going to assume you don't chargeback unless you've been done wrong. See, those people are out there. You just need to do a good job of figuring out who is who.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: