Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:48:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfinex is a scam.  (Read 4866 times)
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 06:16:08 PM

I. Self-moderated "support thread", filled with a bunch of socks posting nonsense. This is standard scammer operating procedure.

II. Running stolen, bug ridden software (the old Bitcoinica codebase) that has already proven itself useless in the marketplace (three times!)

III. Scammers themselves admit to crediting "investors" infinite USD/BTC to execute the naive users.

It's true that scammer tags aren't really given out much anymore, but that's no reason to allow well known scammers run amok. You have been warned.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 01:42:04 PM

II. Running stolen, bug ridden software (the old Bitcoinica codebase) that has already proven itself useless in the marketplace (three times!)

OK, noted. I will do my own due diligence.

naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:46:34 PM

same
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 04:17:55 PM

same

That's the only way to go.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
wilfried

Activity: 288

ManualMiner

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 10:00:10 AM

@mpoe-pr: what was that site url again you run/promote?
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:06:42 PM

@mpoe-pr: what was that site url again you run/promote?

Erm, I suppose you should have a look at my sig.

freethink2013

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:09:28 PM

damn, I was hoping to move some of my snakeoil investiments over to these dudes
unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 02:47:56 PM

Hello,

To everyone I propose a small test. Deposit a few cents on bitfinex. Go long. See that you are paying interests on your margin. Then close your position, move your money to the deposit wallet and lend your money. See that you receive interests on your money.  Then withdraw your money.

There you go, you see that the borrowers really paid the interest listed on Bitfinex, and lenders really receives the said interests.

In the meantime, see that Bitfinex doesn't work AT ALL like how bitcoinica worked. Which coincides with the fact that the code is original and totally rewritten since 8 months.

So you can experiment the business model first hand, and see that it's not just a concept, but it is what it claims to be Smiley

Thanks
Raphael
Bitfinex

PS: About the unlimited credit line, see these: https://community.bitfinex.com/content.php/32-Regarding-recent-team-change
And compare with how forex broker uses credit lines on a weekly basis, as opposed to us making 1 credit line of 150,000 USD to a known investor, with 1.5 times more in BTC collateral on Bitfinex (by the said investor), paid back a few days later, in a time of crisis to avoid lenders making a loss.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 02:02:04 AM

Hello,

To everyone I propose a small test. Deposit a few cents on bitfinex. Go long. See that you are paying interests on your margin. Then close your position, move your money to the deposit wallet and lend your money. See that you receive interests on your money.  Then withdraw your money.

There you go, you see that the borrowers really paid the interest listed on Bitfinex, and lenders really receives the said interests.

In the meantime, see that Bitfinex doesn't work AT ALL like how bitcoinica worked. Which coincides with the fact that the code is original and totally rewritten since 8 months.

So you can experiment the business model first hand, and see that it's not just a concept, but it is what it claims to be Smiley

Thanks
Raphael
Bitfinex

PS: About the unlimited credit line, see these: https://community.bitfinex.com/content.php/32-Regarding-recent-team-change
And compare with how forex broker uses credit lines on a weekly basis, as opposed to us making 1 credit line of 150,000 USD to a known investor, with 1.5 times more in BTC collateral on Bitfinex (by the said investor), paid back a few days later, in a time of crisis to avoid lenders making a loss.

The mitigation of established problems with your "service" does not include suggesting that people send money, whether it's a cent or a fortune.

unclescrooge
aka Raphy

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 09:47:50 AM

The mitigation of established problems with your "service" does not include suggesting that people send money, whether it's a cent or a fortune.

True, spending 2 minutes reading the "How it works" concept is generally enough.

Raphael
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 01:50:31 PM

True, spending 2 minutes reading the "How it works" concept is generally enough.

Raphael

No amount of posturing, plastering, site copy, or other hopes, dreams, or promises will change facts.

Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 05:56:33 AM

Raphael

"How it works" in this case doesn't look good.

drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 06:47:15 AM

I was under the impression that Bitfinex lent the margin traders money from the lenders and if a positive the trader takes goes south the position is closed and only the trader loses money.

Well when I used to use that site I don't remember a fractional reserve.

"How it works" in this case doesn't look good.

Could you explain this for me? I am generally curious. I have not used the site in a while and I am sure other people are interested in the reasons it doesn't look good.
BITCOIN-PIZZA-DAY

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 05:53:41 AM

Mircea right once again.
danfoda

Activity: 283

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 06:17:37 PM

3 years later, $60 mil worth of bitcoins, vanish. Nice call
jeffersonairplane
Legendary

Activity: 1522

www.bitkong.com

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 12:56:41 AM

is it confirmed that this is the amount of BTC lost from the security breach?

this is a lot of coin and if true there will be a lot of dumping going on in the next months or longer

BTCitcointalk
.    ██████████████████████████████████
                                                                 ██
                                                               ███   ██
                                                      ██      ███  ███
                                                     ███     ██  ███  ██
    ▄▄████▄▄    █▌                                         ███  ██  ██
  ██▀       ▀▀  █▌                                   ▀▀   ██▌███  ███ ██
▄█              █▌  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄   ▄   ▄▄▄█▄████████ ████   
█▌              ███▀.   ██    ██     ▀███   ███▀
   ████████████████      ▐█
█               ██       █   ██        ██   ██
     █████████▌██████       ▐█
█▌              █▌       █▌  █         ██   ██
      ██████████▀   █       ▐█
 █▄             █▌       █▌
█████████████████████████████████▌     █       ██
  ▀██▄     ▄██  ██
████████▌██████████████████████████████████     ██▄   ▄███
     ▀████▀▀████████████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████               ██▄▀▀██    ▀▀▀  ██
   ███▀▀▄▄▄█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██████▄     ██
 ███▄▄██████████▀                                                 ▀█████▀▀
                                                                        ███

█████████████████████████████
Program

❤️
Give Hope To Everyone
━━━━━━━» $1 Is A Big Thing For Them

❤️
MyBTT

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 05:42:17 AM

this is a lot of coin and if true there will be a lot of dumping going on in the next months or longer

*Prepares for some ridiculous post saying we should have a reorg*

Did all the coins go at once, or go in small withdrawals over a period of time? We might be able to track the coins, even try to blacklist them. However they've probably gone into a mixer by now.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
X7
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 05:45:03 AM

I dont think the hacker cares, he already sent a bunch of coins to a burn address. And is claiming to give away 1000BTC to a random winner - not quite sure what his motivations are at this point in time.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the world, and lose his own soul?
codehtcmail

Activity: 1188
Merit: 260

Tryig to survive in this harsh world

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 07:40:11 AM

Classical exit scam from bitfinex, learn to never leave your coins on an exchange, no matter how big and old they are, that's what I do, once I finish the trade I take away all my money and coins.
TheNewAnon135246
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1989

฿uy ฿itcoin

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 07:49:06 AM

I dont think the hacker cares, he already sent a bunch of coins to a burn address. And is claiming to give away 1000BTC to a random winner - not quite sure what his motivations are at this point in time.

That is not the Bitfinex hacker. Those funds can be traced back to 2013 (an address that was likely used by TradeFortress).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: