Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:53:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We do live in an anarchist world  (Read 2182 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 06:59:52 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2013, 06:25:22 PM by Elwar

When you are born you can do whatever you want. When you leave your home at 18 you can do whatever you want. Right now you can do whatever you want.

If you leave your home at 18 years old and go decide you want to celebrate with a glass of champagne in the park. You grab a bottle from home and head down to the park. You pop the cork and sit there enjoying your freedom from the parents.

Then some dude comes up and tells you he does not like you drinking.

At that point you face a choice. Are you more powerful than that dude? Can you continue drinking without him interfering? You may be bigger so you stand up to him telling him that you are a free person that can do whatever he wants. The dude disagrees and pulls a gun. In this anarchist world, survival of the fittest prevails. You are subject to that person's whim because he has more power than you do. He can now use his gun to take you prisoner for as long as he and his friends think is right in their own eyes.

What if you had a gun too? If he pulled a gun you could have pulled one too, perhaps shot him if neccessary. But then he has a bunch of buddies with guns too, and a lot of equipment to come track you down and take you to a cage and hold you there as long as he and his friends think is right in their own eyes.

What if you and your buddies had more guns and equipment than them? Then their buddies would call other buddies who have tanks and helicopters and jets and missiles...

So, what if you had a lot of buddies with tanks and helicopters and jets and missiles...once it was established that interfering with you was not worth all of the lives and fighting, then...then you could sit there and drink your champagne freely.

So when it comes down to it...we are all free. It is just that there are people out there that hold more power than us that will always have control over our lives unless we are more powerful than them. That is an anarchist society.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 08:47:58 PM

Man, my mind is blown. I actually never thought of it that way.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 08:51:41 PM

why 18?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
ildubbioso

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 09:14:50 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2013, 10:36:27 PM by ildubbioso

there is anarchy where no law exists, and there is anarcocapitalism, with the natural law.

Who is the owner of the park?

a) If the owner allows people to drink then everything is fine and nobody can ask you to stop.
b) If the owner doesn't want people to drink "some dude" goes to the park-police and ask them to stop you from drinking.

Edit: I misunderstood the OP  Grin

FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 09:31:58 PM

Yeah I've been thinking along these lines lately Elwar.  People talk about the free market, but this is the free market.  The regulations were tacitly chosen.  Now the general public has been tricked into many silly things that we never would have given permission to, but at the same point there is talk about responsibility.  Who let it get this way?  Everyone... and everyone has to take responsibility for that.

Great rant Elwar!

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 10:23:31 PM

Valid points, Elwar.  We're all anarchists until the state gets involved.  Once the state leaves us alone, we proceed to be anarchists again.  I tell you, the hardest thing to explain to someone is that society won't collapse into utter turmoil once the state disappears (you know, as seen in the movies); in fact, life would continue as it always has, just without state hindrance.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 11:18:32 PM

why 18?

Just an example. You could go out into the world as soon as you can walk and the example still applies but starting with a 2 year old that can push you down to older kids up to your parents, the police, military, etc...

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 04:24:01 AM

So, basically, the State is a school-yard bully, writ large?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 04:50:04 PM

Pretty much...and the commercials and advice that I see about just ignoring bullies does not seem like it would work.

Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:46:27 PM

So if you self-describe as an anarchist, the good news is that we're already living in an anarchist society! Of course, the bad news is that ... we're already living in an anarchist society.
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 10:27:54 PM

So if you self-describe as an anarchist, the good news is that we're already living in an anarchist society! Of course, the bad news is that ... we're already living in an anarchist society.
lol

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 04:45:56 PM

I guess using the word "society" is poor wording. We are born into an anarchist world...but we join an "archist" society once we give in to following the rules of the archy because of their power.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 06:27:58 PM

I believe the key thing in thinking about this is that if we get rid of government, it will create a vaccuum to be filled by more centralized power to control our lives.

What needs to happen is to do like Bitcoin and create a decentralized alternative first.

Voluntarism/Agorism may be such an answer.

bitzox

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:56:44 PM

The school-yard bully is the military industrial complex/police, the state is the corrupt principal who lets him get away with whatever he wants and tries, but usually fails, to manipulate him to his own ends.

18QpV8ZF3Y4oK8guDQiwTAK73W9r5nvBtm
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:19:03 PM

Interesting theme. On first reading it rang untrue for me because in my country it is illegal to drink in a park so the State immediately became an issue in the narrative.

Several readings later, I found myself reflecting on the non-State programming we all face the moment we are sentient. Everything from potty training to "what will the neighbours think?". Long before the State intrudes with overt manipulations like pledges of allegiance, invisible but very real rules are laid down by parents, peers and casual contacts. As religious zealots say, "get them while they're young."

"The child is father to the man."

So... is it possible to be free at birth after all? Someone will pick you up and move you about, at the very least. By the time you are old enough to assert your independent wants, say "the terrible twos", you will be thwarted, and you will give in only because of the adult power that thwarts you.

In adult life, the State is certainly the bully most to be feared most of the time by most people, but... I don't see a clear point of transition in life - the "-archy" asserts itself at birth, although not usually in the form of the State.

I'm starting to think there are "good -archy" components, such as potty training or driving on only one side of the road, but that in attempting to enumerate them we would all disagree, eventually leading to some version of where we are now - a myriad of laws that nobody much likes.

TheGovernedSelf

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 07:59:54 PM

In adult life, the State is certainly the bully most to be feared most of the time by most people, but... I don't see a clear point of transition in life - the "-archy" asserts itself at birth, although not usually in the form of the State.

I'm starting to think there are "good -archy" components, such as potty training or driving on only one side of the road, but that in attempting to enumerate them we would all disagree, eventually leading to some version of where we are now - a myriad of laws that nobody much likes.

I think the dividing line is this:

A good rule or law assists and streamlines society. Ignoring such a rule causes chaos and damage to the community. (Seat belts, driving on the right side of the road, simple contract law, industry standards)

A bad rule or law oppresses and consolidates control into certain groups or institutions. Society would function better if it ceased to exist. (monopoly, barriers to market entry, excessive taxation, back-room committees, frivolous fines, the war on drugs, militarization of police)
KornShell

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 08:28:40 PM

Morris and Linda Tannehill give a wonderful treatment of this in "The Market For Liberty", available as an e-book from Laissez Faire Books: lfb.org

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 08:39:53 PM

I believe the key thing in thinking about this is that if we get rid of government, it will create a vaccuum to be filled by more centralized power to control our lives.

What needs to happen is to do like Bitcoin and create a decentralized alternative first.

I think I can agree with that.

Reading your OP I couldn't help but think you're understanding "anarchy" differntly than I am. For me it doesn't mean "no rules, no order, chaos". It just means "no state, no ruler". There can still be order and rules. Rules that are our own because we voluntarily agree to use them.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 09:01:20 PM

Reading your OP I couldn't help but think you're understanding "anarchy" differntly than I am. For me it doesn't mean "no rules, no order, chaos". It just means "no state, no ruler". There can still be order and rules. Rules that are our own because we voluntarily agree to use them.

Well archy means: a combining form meaning “rule,” “government,”.

So anarchy would be without rule or government. Basically nobody ruling over you. Chaos implies confusion or disorder. That is not what I am saying would happen without people being ruled. The only chaos would be from the perception of someone who wishes to rule people.

But there can be order without being ruled. You play a game of pool and though there are rules, nobody is ruling over the players. The rules are agreed upon by the two players beforehand and followed.

aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:35:20 PM

Well archy means: a combining form meaning “rule,” “government,”.

So anarchy would be without rule or government. Basically nobody ruling over you. Chaos implies confusion or disorder. That is not what I am saying would happen without people being ruled. The only chaos would be from the perception of someone who wishes to rule people.

But there can be order without being ruled. You play a game of pool and though there are rules, nobody is ruling over the players. The rules are agreed upon by the two players beforehand and followed.

Subliminal message about pools.   Smiley

Your pool example is persuasive, but I find in everyday life people always seem to be squabbling about what the rules of the moment mean - the recent BFL bet for charity being a salient example. Something else must be going on between situations where people don't squabble about rule interpretations and other situations where they do. For reasons I don't understand, the same person might be placid about waiting for a red light to change (costing a minute of time), but belligerent about getting a parking ticket (costing a few dollars in most places), and of course when people debate "rule of law" issues all hell breaks loose. Is it a stakes thing, skin in the game? I dunno.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: