Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:33:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do run a Bitcoin Core FULL NODE Now!  (Read 8479 times)
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 05:36:31 AM

Is there a geographical map of where nodes are? I have a 300/300mbps connection - and a Ubuntu installation. Is running a node hard on the disk? Is 500GB disk sufficient? Sound like it. Can I install the node software and let it rebuild of the blockchain?
500 gb is absolutely sufficient. If only you can, do install and launch your full node as frequently as it's  possible for you! If you also allow incoming connections and open 8333 port (either by port forwarding, or enabling UPnP in your router)  that will be just great!

The full nodes map and your 8333 port accessibility can be found here for example :

https://bitnodes.earn.com/nodes/live-map/

Donate BTC: 1EeAXetny8pdoAZ4gyhDwnoMUxoTNGyKSz
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 05:43:10 AM

My laptop consumes not more than 60 Watt even at peaks.
Assuming full nodes don't use much CPU on average, and mostly just serve blocks, I think a laptop for this usage would more likely consume 10-20W.

Exactly! That's why I think I don't have to buy those tiny excellent Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, or the Bitseed computers (yet) to run my full node.

p3ppymon

Activity: 700
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 02:10:33 PM

I used to run the full node on my workstation. But since I switched to a laptop (much more handy for what I do at the moment), I cannot do that any longer.
First, it will take ages to download the blockchain;
Second, while downloading the blockchain, hardly I can do other things (even though my laptop is not that bad)!
That is a shame I cannot keep doing it!
Would you have any solution?
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 02:37:20 PM

I used to run the full node on my workstation. But since I switched to a laptop (much more handy for what I do at the moment), I cannot do that any longer.
Second, while downloading the blockchain, hardly I can do other things (even though my laptop is not that bad)!

p3ppymon,
Possible solutions:

1) You may download the whole blockchain at once from my Google Drive (see details in  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2321650

2) You may keep  a pruned blockchain (personally I have never tried it)

3) while downloading the blockchain you can be safely doing any other things with your laptop! Process, CPU, download bandwidth will be busy 3-20% only.
Besides, on windows you may use any advanced task manager (I use http://systemexplorer.net  it's free)  to set the process priority, etc. for the Bitcoin Core application to even more reduce its hardware requirements.

jnano

Activity: 301
Merit: 74

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 04:12:41 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2017, 04:35:06 PM by jnano

If it's similar to the HDD access issues I've experienced with the latest version, and you don't have an SSD, a decent solution is to do the initial sync with the "chainstate" directory linked to a RAM drive. When it finishes, copy the results to phyical HDD.

If it's a CPU issue, try limiting BitcoinCore to a single CPU core. You can also lower its process priority from the Windows Task Manager: right click a process and use "Set Priority". In Windows 8 and later it's in the "Details" tab.

Exactly! That's why I think I don't have to buy those tiny excellent Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, or the Bitseed computers (yet) to run my full node.
Okay, I became curious enough to measure an Ivy Bridge laptop. Smiley I got 14-36W. 14W with very light load and screen off. 36W with CPU maxed and screen on. Didn't check the effect of HDD activity. The measurement accuracy may be off, especially at the low end. The laptop's battery was connected, but not charging. I don't know the efficiency of the AC/DC adapter.
Snub

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 07:27:46 PM

I have a couple of Raspberry pi Zero, and you gave me an idea to start a node on one of it. I will try in in a couple of days and tell you how it works.
ZipReg

Activity: 847
Merit: 640

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 09:25:44 PM

Does running a full node earn bitcoin?
jnano

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 09:48:47 PM

No. That's mining.
ZipReg

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 10:18:37 PM

No. That's mining.

Thank you. So the only way to generate bitcoin organically is mining, but the nodes are what verify the block chain even exists and full node earn nothing, maybe that should change, me being a noob looking from the outside in, this does not seem fair.

Interesting. Are mining rigs and/or pools require to run on a full node to mine?
ZipReg

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 10:39:25 PM

No. That's mining.

Thank you. So the only way to generate bitcoin organically is mining, but the nodes are what verify the block chain even exists and full node earn nothing, maybe that should change, me being a noob looking from the outside in, this does not seem fair.

Interesting. Are mining rigs and/or pools require to run on a full node to mine?

I have found the answer myself (below) on why to run a full node, but still wonder is running a full node required to mine? I assume miners are the node backbone? Thanks

Why should you run a full node
Summary

Running a full node is the only way you can use Bitcoin in a trustless way. You will know for sure that all the rules of Bitcoin are being followed, for example that no bitcoins are spent not belonging to the owner, that no coins were spent twice, that no inflation happens outside of the schedule and that all the rules needed to make the system work (e.g. difficulty) are followed. Full nodes are currently the most private way to use Bitcoin, with no nobody else learning which bitcoin addresses belong to you. Full nodes are the most secure way to use Bitcoin, they do not suffer from many attacks that affect lightweight wallets.
jnano

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 10:45:08 PM

It seems people call different things "full nodes".

The wiki here defines it simply as a node that has personally verified the whole blockchain, and that continuously does so for new blocks and transactions. I suppose that also implies relaying only valid transactions to its peers. According to the wiki, a full node does not have to be an "archival node" which stores the whole blockchain and accepts incoming connections.

By that definition, miners are necessarily full nodes, but I'm not sure if they must also be archival nodes.

Here's a 2014 thread where someone asks about full node rewarding.
v587bxxt

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 03:06:06 AM

I also thought about sending one Bitcoin in my unsynced wallet to give me more incentive to go through with it, but no.
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 05:42:43 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2017, 05:53:37 AM by Bestcoin-fan

I have a couple of Raspberry pi Zero, and you gave me an idea to start a node on one of it. I will try in in a couple of days and tell you how it works.

Great! Of course do try it, I wish you success, as the more full nodes, the more decentralization, the more reliability and the better!

... and full node earn nothing, maybe that should change, me being a noob looking from the outside in, this does not seem fair
As I understand it, according to the original plan, ALL of the wallets were supposed to be full nodes, so naturally there was not provided any reward only for that. Moreover! All of the nodes (wallets) were supposed to be MINERS as well! And as miners they would have gained the reward!

According to the wiki, a full node does not have to be an "archival node" which stores the whole blockchain and accepts incoming connections.
If your full node keeps the whole blockchain ("archival node" as you named it) it is much safer and better for the Bitcoin Blockchain ecosystem, and your own money accordingly, if you have any real (Bitcoin) money at all.
So if you can afford 160+Gb blockchain then do it! If not, then keep a pruned node.

Anyway, the main idea is having any is very much better than having none.

exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 06:36:52 AM

As I understand it, according to the original plan, ALL of the wallets were supposed to be full nodes, so naturally there was not provided any reward only for that. Moreover! All of the nodes (wallets) were supposed to be MINERS as well! And as miners they would have gained the reward!

That's not entirely true. I'm not sure what security features were supposed to be in place with regard to Satoshi's reference to "Simplified Payment Verification" in the whitepaper. Maybe fraud proofs along the lines of what Core developers have proposed, or maybe he did not foresee that miners would try to change protocol rules from under users. See here:

8. Simplified Payment Verification. It is possible to verify payments without running a full network node. A user only needs to keep a copy of the block headers of the longest proof-of-work chain, which he can get by querying network nodes until he's convinced he has the longest chain, and obtain the Merkle branch linking the transaction to the block it's timestamped in. He can't check the transaction for himself, but by linking it to a place in the chain, he can see that a network node has accepted it, and blocks added after it further confirm the network has accepted it.

It's easy to see how a user could be attacked this way. By verifying block headers, he can tell that miners have included in a block and further that the block has been confirmed. He can't verify that this blockchain is "Bitcoin."

Bestcoin-fan (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 07:09:02 AM

OK, I may be not entirely, but I am basically right Smiley saying that all of the nodes were supposed to be full nodes.

Anyway, every smart and responsible Bitcoin holder, fan and enthusiast should:

1. Run his/her own full (maybe pruned) node.

2. Even much better if he is also a miner (now also signaling NO2x).

p3ppymon

Activity: 700
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:05:09 AM

p3ppymon,
Possible solutions:

1) You may download the whole blockchain at once from my Google Drive (see details in  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2321650

2) You may keep  a pruned blockchain (personally I have never tried it)

3) while downloading the blockchain you can be safely doing any other things with your laptop! Process, CPU, download bandwidth will be busy 3-20% only.
Besides, on windows you may use any advanced task manager (I use http://systemexplorer.net  it's free)  to set the process priority, etc. for the Bitcoin Core application to even more reduce its hardware requirements.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will try to give it a go downloading again the bull blockchain from your drive.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 11:39:32 AM

As I understand it, according to the original plan, ALL of the wallets were supposed to be full nodes, so naturally there was not provided any reward only for that. Moreover! All of the nodes (wallets) were supposed to be MINERS as well! And as miners they would have gained the reward! .....

That does not sound like what Satoshi wrote. At all.
TheRomanLegion_

Activity: 74

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 01:17:56 PM

As I understand it, according to the original plan, ALL of the wallets were supposed to be full nodes, so naturally there was not provided any reward only for that. Moreover! All of the nodes (wallets) were supposed to be MINERS as well! And as miners they would have gained the reward! .....

Agreed. Did this guy even read the white paper? Lmao. Satoshi wrote a whole chapter on how merkle roots should be implemented to help streamline the system for average users.

He then specifically says, that if you are a business etc. and SHOULD NEED extra security, it would be better to run a full node.

Do your research bro.
Bestcoin-fan (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 02:38:54 PM

Agreed. Did this guy even read the white paper? Lmao. Satoshi wrote a whole chapter on how merkle roots should be implemented to help streamline the system for average users.

He then specifically says, that if you are a business etc. and SHOULD NEED extra security, it would be better to run a full node.

Do your research bro.

OK, I shouldn't have used the words "were sopposed to be", but I'm sure Satoshi, knowing the actual situation today, would support me in what I said  earlier :

Anyway, every smart and responsible Bitcoin holder, fan and enthusiast should:

1. Run his/her own full (maybe pruned) node.

2. Even much better if he is also a miner (now also signaling NO2x).

neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 02:51:47 PM

It's not enough to run a full node in some raspberry pi that you will never use. You should use it to transact too, so it becomes an economic node and you are in charge of your money 100%, knowing what you are doing. The problem is keeping your bitcoins safe.. which is why im asking what is the best operating system to run a full node that is also used as a wallet:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2332405.msg23830612

please help.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: