Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 01:04:04 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are some of the best safety practices for airdrops?  (Read 378 times)
Peasantfarmguy (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 12:36:57 AM

I am new to crypto. Been reading about shady things that is associated with airdrops. Should airdrops that ask for wallet address  post a red flag? What are the only information we should give when applying for airdrops?
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 12:57:34 AM

They ask for a wallet address so they know where to send your coins.  Asking for an address is okay.  In order to get an address you will usually have to download a wallet and run it.  If it's a scam there may be malware packaged inside the wallet.  Generally this is not the case.  Best defense against a scam is educating yourself and research. 
swoolzze

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 01:04:44 AM

I am new to crypto. Been reading about shady things that is associated with airdrops. Should airdrops that ask for wallet address  post a red flag? What are the only information we should give when applying for airdrops?

Airdrop is legit when applying their form in easy way like just giving your wallet address to them in jut of that. It is also legit when claiming it in a short period of time and also when their distributing date for airdrop is correct not like so many excuses and moving the date for the airdrop.
Peasantfarmguy (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 01:56:23 AM

They ask for a wallet address so they know where to send your coins.  Asking for an address is okay.  In order to get an address you will usually have to download a wallet and run it.  If it's a scam there may be malware packaged inside the wallet.  Generally this is not the case.  Best defense against a scam is educating yourself and research. 

Thanks for you input. I was reading somewhere and someone was saying never give ether address. thanks for clarification.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 02:26:40 AM

Thanks for you input. I was reading somewhere and someone was saying never give ether address. thanks for clarification.

It's your private keys, wallet.dat (BTC and most others) and keystore (Eth) that you must never give out. 
Blake_Last

Activity: 518
Merit: 278

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 02:48:31 AM

If an airdrop asks for your private key, do not give it to them. There is no need for legit airdrop to require you or anyone to provide them with your private key because they will only need your public key if they want to send their free coins to you. Also, always check the airdrop link to people who are doing it to prevent falling for potential phishing attacks. And finally, do not click emails saying that this and that project are doing an airdrop unless you read them directly from the verified source.

Peasantfarmguy (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:10:49 AM

If an airdrop asks for your private key, do not give it to them. There is no need for legit airdrop to require you or anyone to provide them with your private key because they will only need your public key if they want to send their free coins to you. Also, always check the airdrop link to people who are doing it to prevent falling for potential phishing attacks. And finally, do not click emails saying that this and that project are doing an airdrop unless you read them directly from the verified source.

Thank you all so much. I have been researching Datum which will being live for crowdsale within a week. And they will give tokens sometimes in December. Would you guys say 90% airdrops are legit from your experiences? Well if ever yahs in oregon maybe we can smoke some doobs hehe.
tamanegi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 03:36:56 PM

These are only a few precautionary measures I can give you.
1. Do not give your wallet private key.
2. If they send you an email and ask to click a link, you better think twice.
3. If they are asking to provide your personal data, forget about the free token.
Hamphser

Activity: 2520
Merit: 328

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 06:49:20 PM

Theres lots of shady things that do exist on airdrops as of now and as a airdrop or bounty hunter we should really be careful on the informations that we do give.They would really normally ask for addresses since they would need that information on where those free coins to be transferred and this is definitely safe as long you dont give or expose your private keys. Next thing is that when we are already on group chats never ever click any links which other people do give the possibilities of getting scammed would be high since most of them are phishing links and comes worst you would download a virus.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
npredtorch
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1049

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:35:58 PM

Most common precautionary that a crypto guy must do is to inspect carefully the wallet application before any use. (to avoid malwares and viruses)
There are already some reported hacking of private keys in the past which is allegedly the cause of installing some unknown/ not familiar wallet application of a coin. In relation to the topic, I'm sure that it will be more often found on altcoins that uses airdrop distribution considering giving out free token will take more possible victim. What I simply do is to let other people to try it first and wait for feedbacks. Then just to be 100% sure, I scan also the wallet files on an online virus checker or simply on my pc's anti virus program.
rezurect

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 10:30:32 PM

I wouldn't use an important personal email address.
Make sure to not paste your private key instead of your address.
Don't download sketchy looking wallets or click on "mew" links through emails you get from said projects.
gon

Activity: 460
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 07:08:02 AM

Nope. They need the address to know where to send your tokens and you are sharing only a public info. If somebody want your private key, this is scam.

You will find a decent list at our site:

Airdrops.Wiki

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2323501.0

We will add another 10-20 airdrops today and out goal is to maintain a list of only active and worthy airdrops.
christianBALE1

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 06:51:12 AM

airdrop is the good and secure to apply here we have to try and invest certain amount in to this then we have to get good profit. so for that we have to earn and to to invest better. first you have to send your tokens safely. if suppose it can conatain qr code and otp alerts then we have to search for best site. do not share your private key others. and keep maintain secure to your coins.
TonyPlayMore

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 09:47:16 AM

usually to get an air drop you have to leave your email and telegram channel, and to receive an air drop you need to enter a public address with your wallet, having this data you will not be able to steal your tokens
jusertvaz

Activity: 428
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 09:50:30 AM

many beginners confuse the key - the password from the wallet and the public purse address, you must enter your public purse address so that you can not steal your tokens, yet you give your email address and social networks

Vasyan

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 10:12:44 AM

to get an air drop you need to fulfill the conditions of the company, usually you need to give your e-mail, telegram channel, possibly a twitter or facebook and most importantly - the public address of your crypto-currency purse
Fatunad

Activity: 2254
Merit: 354

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 02:34:57 PM

usually to get an air drop you have to leave your email and telegram channel, and to receive an air drop you need to enter a public address with your wallet, having this data you will not be able to steal your tokens
many beginners confuse the key - the password from the wallet and the public purse address, you must enter your public purse address so that you can not steal your tokens, yet you give your email address and social networks
to get an air drop you need to fulfill the conditions of the company, usually you need to give your e-mail, telegram channel, possibly a twitter or facebook and most importantly - the public address of your crypto-currency purse
No need to bump a 5 month old thread asking about or posting out this basic thing when it comes to airdrops,For the sake on answering this questions, usually airdrops would normally asked for an address on where you would like to recieve tokens but sometimes newbie do sent out their private keys instead which i have seen back in the past.Airdrop would only be risky if you do make investment but if not i do see risk-free since these things are free.
Jr.

Activity: 98
Merit: 1

Blockchain with a Purpose

View Profile
April 13, 2018, 09:24:56 PM

If you are requested to make account under the airdrops site, don't create your password same with the password of your email, some might try to access your own personal email to phish some information inside.

tge.HORYOUToken.io    ■))   BLOCKCHAIN WITH A PURPOSE
▐ ███████████████   JOIN THE TGE   《《《 ▀ ▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
jamesndungu1

Activity: 434
Merit: 25

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 02:21:18 AM

RULE NO 1. To avoid Phishing attempts, don't use your email password on the forms - If you can change your password once in a while.
RULE NO 2. Don't give away your private keys.
RULE NO 3. Dont just apply for Airdrops, read about the project, ask questions and if you are in a position to help do so - Dont forget to apply for Airdrops  Cool
almtu

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 14, 2018, 07:04:43 AM

Agree then you should avoid falling easily with the projet because of money much better to carefully study the background first before joining in airdrops. Although it is easy but that is your job to wait for payment. Then read more and learn unlimited.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: