Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:05:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Burnt PSU Connector?  (Read 1122 times)
destruct (OP)

Activity: 1232
Merit: 250

Alexander KOSTIN | GoldMint

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 11:09:27 PM
Last edit: August 08, 2017, 07:12:48 PM by destruct

Hello,

I'm wondering if any other miners have had this happen to them.. On 2 of my motherboards I've had the 24 pin connector melt in 2 or 3 slots like this - https://i.imgur.com/2fOtSXM.jpg

This is getting expensive... the one in the picture is after running for about 3 weeks mining but on a 2 year old mobo (in a case)... the second one (unpictured - free air) had burned in 3 spots after a month and a half of mining..

Previously before mining scrypt and just SHA256 this was never a problem.. so I was wondering if anything else ran into this and what could be the cause.

Thanks!

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hydroponica

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

fml

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 11:15:18 PM

Uh-oh, sounds like someone cheaped out, and didn't get the powered Riser cables..

PCI-e slots, drawing too much power, most likely. On the bright side, atleast you didn't burn your house down

Petr1fied

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 11:15:53 PM

It's caused by having too many cards with unpowered risers. You can convert your risers to powered quite easily with this tutorial:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76121.0
destruct (OP)

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 11:30:43 PM

Uh-oh, sounds like someone cheaped out, and didn't get the powered Riser cables..

PCI-e slots, drawing too much power, most likely. On the bright side, atleast you didn't burn your house down

Didn't cheap out.. simply couldn't find them anywhere within North America at the time of building my machine. But I guess I'll look harder now since its a costly replacement.

@petr1fied thanks for the link Smiley

FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 11:47:13 PM

Didn't cheap out.. simply couldn't find them anywhere within North America at the time of building my machine. But I guess I'll look harder now since its a costly replacement.

@petr1fied thanks for the link Smiley

When did you build your machine?

Powered risers were on eBay for years and most of them are in the US.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
jnada

Activity: 310

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:32:45 AM

Hello,

I'm wondering if any other miners have had this happen to them.. On 2 of my motherboards I've had the 24 pin connector melt in 2 or 3 slots like this - https://i.imgur.com/2fOtSXM.jpg

This is getting expensive... the one in the picture is after running for about 3 weeks mining but on a 2 year old mobo (in a case)... the second one (unpictured - free air) had burned in 3 spots after a month and a half of mining..

Previously before mining scrypt and just SHA256 this was never a problem.. so I was wondering if anything else ran into this and what could be the cause.

Thanks!
should you have external PSU?
 and solder 12V to appropriate  pins on PCI connection slot?
thats all magic

I'm powering for last 7 days 7x150 peak watt constant consumption with 1200 IBM psu delta 1200 db and usual 650 watt internal psu

NEM                                        NEM                                          NEM                            launch on 22nd November 2014 !                                          TAQDPC-BT35MC-YAWTKQ-OFEZOS-CMBKHM-F5Q3L6-YEYL
aa

Activity: 544

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 02:35:36 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 07:49:49 PM by aa

destruct (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:08:39 AM

@aa This is what I have https://i.imgur.com/clAruOR.jpg

4 - Sapphire 7950's
1200 watt gold Seasonic PSU
Sabbertooth 990FX

I was mining litecoins.

Not the best of setups as I basically set it up quickly before going out of country for a couple weeks.. but I had it like this -> https://i.imgur.com/oVFDKUc.jpg

BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:13:51 AM

IMO I would replace not only mother board but your PSU.

Be thankful its just your mobo and maybe your PSU replacement... not your cards and everything else.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
destruct (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:28:01 AM

Why replace the PSU? It's the top brand you can get..

aa

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 04:00:00 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2014, 07:49:55 PM by aa

destruct (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 04:16:20 AM

4 - Sapphire 7950's
Sabbertooth 990FX

I was mining litecoins.

Not the best of setups as I basically set it up quickly before going out of country for a couple weeks.. but I had it like this -> https://i.imgur.com/oVFDKUc.jpg

You might want to try using one powered riser instead of the unpowered one, though I still don't believe that to be the issue.

I think the concern here is that the PSU is faulty and needs to be replaced by the manufacturer.

Edit: also, the people who try to push powered risers always go on about how you must use powered risers when you have more than "x" GPUs, but "x" is never the same number every time they go on about it.

The only downside is that this has happen on 2 separate machines both with different motherboard brands and PSU brands.. Doesn't seem like the PSU the defect causing this.. However, the plug is going to need to be replaced now on it.

I bought some powered risers to see if this will prevent this in the future but it's kinda hard to believe it was strictly just that.

aa

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 12:48:16 PM

4 - Sapphire 7950's
Sabbertooth 990FX

I was mining litecoins.

You might want to try using one powered riser instead of the unpowered one, though I still don't believe that to be the issue.

I think the concern here is that the PSU is faulty and needs to be replaced by the manufacturer.

Edit: also, the people who try to push powered risers always go on about how you must use powered risers when you have more than "x" GPUs, but "x" is never the same number every time they go on about it.

The only downside is that this has happen on 2 separate machines both with different motherboard brands and PSU brands.. Doesn't seem like the PSU the defect causing this.. However, the plug is going to need to be replaced now on it.

I bought some powered risers to see if this will prevent this in the future but it's kinda hard to believe it was strictly just that.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you have really bad power in your area. Are you using a surge protector? It could also be that your power needs to be filtered more than your PSU can handle.

The problem with people who report such burnt ATX connections is that they never give all the details. Most of the reports don't even state what hardware they use, and the ones that did always reported using ancient motherboards that were never specified to run with more than one or maybe two GPUs, or power supplies that clearly didn't have enough power on the 12v. This isn't the case for you, so it must be something unrelated to your immediate hardware--only because I believe the chances of you repeatedly getting broken hardware from different brands is very low.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: