Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:17:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: coin mining - newbie  (Read 191 times)
lordpaladin (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 08:09:43 AM

Hi All!

I'm new to coin mining and would like to ask a few questions:

1. Can I setup a coin miner rig using existing or usual Desktop PCs build?
2. If yes, what are the important PC parts that will largely contribute to mining ie big RAMs, larger HD capacity, faster CPUs, fan cooled or liquid cooled setup
3. Is mining software free? If yes, where can I download one in Windows based format

Thank you!
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2017, 08:20:05 AM

Hi All!

2. If yes, what are the important PC parts that will largely contribute to mining ie big RAMs, larger HD capacity, faster CPUs, fan cooled or liquid cooled setup
3. Is mining software free? If yes, where can I download one in Windows based format

Thank you!

1. Yes, you can. Whether or not it is worth setting up is largely up to what specific hardware you have.

2. 4GB of system RAM is enough. 2GB is pushing it, but is often fine. This also depends on the OS you intend to install.
Unless you're interested in Burstcoin or other PoC type cryptocurrencies, you only need enough storage in your rig for your OS/swap.
The CPU just needs to run the rig, it's usually not worth mining with on its own.
Liquid cooling is a luxury that is generally unnecessary for a dedicated mining rig.
The important component for most altcoin mining is your graphics card. However, if your power costs are low enough and your existing build(s) can support new cards, you could consider investing in new cards, since your overhead cost would be greatly reduced with what you already have on-hand. (Check your PSU(s) and motherboard expansion slots.)

3. Mining software is "free," but not as it was in the days of CGminer. Now, most well-performing mining programs have an integrated developer fee of about 2% of your earnings. Others, such as ethOS, are purchased (or at least supposed to be).

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
patofet

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 08:35:15 AM

Hi All!

Thank you!

1. Yes, you can. Whether or not it is worth setting up is largely up to what specific hardware you have.

2. 4GB of system RAM is enough. 2GB is pushing it, but is often fine. This also depends on the OS you intend to install.
Unless you're interested in Burstcoin or other PoC type cryptocurrencies, you only need enough storage in your rig for your OS/swap.
The CPU just needs to run the rig, it's usually not worth mining with on its own.
Liquid cooling is a luxury that is generally unnecessary for a dedicated mining rig.
The important component for most altcoin mining is your graphics card. However, if your power costs are low enough and your existing build(s) can support new cards, you could consider investing in new cards, since your overhead cost would be greatly reduced with what you already have on-hand. (Check your PSU(s) and motherboard expansion slots.)

3. Mining software is "free," but not as it was in the days of CGminer. Now, most well-performing mining programs have an integrated developer fee of about 2% of your earnings. Others, such as ethOS, are purchased (or at least supposed to be).

2. You can set the virtual memory in order to expand the RAM
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: