Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:16:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 3% faster mining with phoenix+phatk, diablo, or poclbm for everyone  (Read 38966 times)
burningrave101

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 05:46:53 PM

Question, if you have to use the BFI_INT flag for this tweak to work with the Phoenix Phatk kernel what flag do you use to make use of it with POCLBM? I'm running the latest version of GUIMiner with the default OpenCL POCLBM miner and extra flags "-v -w128 -f2". I applied this kernel tweak to the modified phatk.cl file that is in the main directory for GUIMiner and it seemed to give me a boost in hash rate but is it actually working without an additional flag?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
burningrave101

Activity: 55

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 05:51:02 PM

well with this boost and the -f2 tag that i tried via burning's post i have a boost of 10 mhash which is 3.3%

You applied the tweak to the phatk.cl file in the main part of the GUIMiner folder didn't you? Because I don't see the bitminer.cl file included with the latest update to GUIMiner any more so I'm guessing that is due to it being replaced with the modified phatk kernel.
rethaw (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 06:36:45 PM

Question, if you have to use the BFI_INT flag for this tweak to work with the Phoenix Phatk kernel what flag do you use to make use of it with POCLBM? I'm running the latest version of GUIMiner with the default OpenCL POCLBM miner and extra flags "-v -w128 -f2". I applied this kernel tweak to the modified phatk.cl file that is in the main directory for GUIMiner and it seemed to give me a boost in hash rate but is it actually working without an additional flag?

poclbm will automatically do BFI_INT if your hardware is capable.

DiabloD3
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

DiabloMiner author

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 08:22:59 AM

poclbm will automatically do BFI_INT if your hardware is capable.

As will DiabloMiner

Activity: 46

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Win7, dual 6970s, Guiminer w/ poclbm.

Went from ~ 409Mhash per card to 423Mhash per card.  Grin
rethaw (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 12:55:04 AM

As will DiabloMiner

I would just like to restate, if you would like to get these tweaks your best bet is to just update your miner. The big 3 have all been updated at this point and you are better off not editing source unless you have to. The developers are very responsive to modifications in the kernel that can be shown to improve efficiency.

Diapolo

Activity: 769
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 05:57:42 AM

As will DiabloMiner

I would just like to restate, if you would like to get these tweaks your best bet is to just update your miner. The big 3 have all been updated at this point and you are better off not editing source unless you have to. The developers are very responsive to modifications in the kernel that can be shown to improve efficiency.

That would state, one should trust only "the big 3" when it comes to kernel kernel updates, which I think is NOT true Smiley.
You are right, it's harder to edit the OpenCL kernel for yourself, but there is no reason in not trying out modified / optimized kernels (like mine)!

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo
rethaw (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 06:15:39 AM

Diapolo I have been following your thread. You have put a lot of work into it and I look forward to further testing. That being said, including these kernel mods makes it difficult to tell how successful your changes are (lack of control). If your modifications are truly beneficial they will be included in the mainline. 

Also, I believe the original developers are not getting the attention they deserve. These kernel mods and experimentation are welcomed by the community, but lets not forget who put in the original effort!

Diapolo

Activity: 769

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 06:37:27 AM

Diapolo I have been following your thread. You have put a lot of work into it and I look forward to further testing. That being said, including these kernel mods makes it difficult to tell how successful your changes are (lack of control). If your modifications are truly beneficial they will be included in the mainline. 

Also, I believe the original developers are not getting the attention they deserve. These kernel mods and experimentation are welcomed by the community, but lets not forget who put in the original effort!

I would say mods are "truly beneficial", if they lower the needed ALU OPs to process the kernel. This can be checked via AMD APP KernelAnalyzer and is what I try to do. You are absolutely right, that we should not forget the ones, who created a kernel in it's basic version. I couldn't have done this, that's for sure! But in the end we are all interested in the same ... to calculate BTC faster or more efficient, right?

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 02:16:36 PM

Does this tweak/mod apply to the latest GUIMiner? When I installed GUIMiner, I did not create a new miner, GUIMiner is using what ever it uses when you fire it up [Default] tab.

Could you add explicit instructions " I am guessing I am using POCLBM?".

From what I see, there are instructions for phatk's.

But then you say
Works also for POCLBM, just need to edit bitcoinminer.cl and change very same line.

I opened bitcoinminer.cl and did not find
#define Ma(x, y, z) amd_bytealign((y), (x | z), (z & x))
cyrusfox

Activity: 15

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 07:31:10 PM

FYI this change is found already in both the phatk and poclbm kernels in linux coin.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
October 06, 2011, 06:11:56 PM

FYI this change is found already in both the phatk and poclbm kernels in linux coin.

Ah, thank you -- just the confirmation I was looking for, without having to muddle with my OS

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: