Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:10:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How is NEO private key converted to NEOs public key?  (Read 270 times)
lukaexpl (OP)

Activity: 148
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 09:18:48 AM

I want to check for myself.

I am sorry if I do not trust a single wallet that handles the private keys as if it was 0800 - toll free number.
lukaexpl (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 08:19:14 AM

BUmp
hdtqisg

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 10:26:14 AM

I am sorry if I do not trust a single wallet that handles the private keys as if it was 0800 - toll free number.
I think, you need to import your private key to Neo wallet app, after you can see your NEOs public key
Be careful to use the private key because if someone knows you will lose money in the account.
lukaexpl (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:07:03 PM

I think, you need to import your private key to Neo wallet app, after you can see your NEOs public key
Be careful to use the private key because if someone knows you will lose money in the account.

Thanks. I am aware of that.

My question was actually: What cryptographic function(s) does NEO use to convert private key to public key and where can I check so that I get the same result?
shursight

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2017, 09:23:42 PM

If you dont trust any of those Neo wallet providers, why dont you store your neo's on a ledger wallet?

it it is much more safe than just having all those coins in there, and we all know that they are pretty expensive right now (it is not $5 as it was a few months ago)

I dont trust in all those online wallets from neo, i had more than 10 in there and i feel very unconfortable, i dont know why, but i dont trust them.

The same happens with MyEtherWallet, it is very risky for me.

++++++
+++++++   ++++++
+++++++  +++++++
++++++   +++++++
+++++  +++++++++
      ++++++++++     
+++++++  +++++++
+++++++   ++++++
++++++++  ++++++
++++++++   +++++
++++++++   +++++
+++++++

XRPNow
Ripple Price & News
XRP Price / Ripple News /
XRP Price Prediction

++     
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++

COINDOO
Latest Blockchain and Cryptocurrency News   
Bitcoin News Today

++     
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++

THECCPRESS
Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Tabloid
Blockchain News Today
lukaexpl (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 07:29:19 AM

If you dont trust any of those Neo wallet providers, why dont you store your neo's on a ledger wallet?

it it is much more safe than just having all those coins in there, and we all know that they are pretty expensive right now (it is not $5 as it was a few months ago)

I dont trust in all those online wallets from neo, i had more than 10 in there and i feel very unconfortable, i dont know why, but i dont trust them.

The same happens with MyEtherWallet, it is very risky for me.

I have the exact same thoughts and feelings as you. Yesterday I got my Ledger Nano.
It was a very disappointing experience.

Cable connects randomly, some apps do not work, when playing with the seed I do not get the same Ether addresses that https://iancoleman.io/bip39/ shows me under Ether derivation path.

And what is most important: I HAVE NO IDEA how is the 24-word seed converted to NEO private key. Without it I am not really prepared to trust any single source (like Ledger for example).
gomei

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 07:32:15 AM

My question was actually: What cryptographic function(s) does NEO use to convert private key to public key and where can I check so that I get the same result?

I do not think there will be a function that can convert private key to public key, if there is one, that means you can also convert public key to private key, it is impossible, so I think the only way is login your wallet with your private key to get your public key.

.Ambit.    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
   Become part of the mining family   
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
lukaexpl (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 08:29:30 AM

I do not think there will be a function that can convert private key to public key, if there is one, that means you can also convert public key to private key, it is impossible, so I think the only way is login your wallet with your private key to get your public key.

Sorry to tell you but you are brutally wrong.
How would you arrive at your public key if not by pulling your private key through a function? What would the relationship be? You are given some private key that has no connection to public key?

Such functions are implemented in dozens of computer languages for Bitcoin:
Python (bitcoin library), Javscript, C++ and the list goes on
Watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB3HcPgm_FI

Try
bitaddress.org

It does exactly that: converts your private key to a public key.

The strenght and beauty of this functions is that priv -> pub takes nanoseconds and pub -> priv is "impossible".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: